PDA

View Full Version : Power loss with mileage

Popeye
12-08-2011, 04:35 AM
Someone told me the other day that since I have over 150k miles on my car, I have probably lost close to 30hp.
Now, I figure there will be at least SOME power loss over time, but is there really THAT much power lost over time? If so, WHY does it? And what worn parts cause that? Is it something as simple as injectors? Or is it maybe some parts lose their "tight" seals and power is "leaked" out? Or just a combination of all of the above? Is there any maintenance that someone could do to minimize the power loss?

And what flipping smiley is THIS? :gghey:

Blah1219
12-08-2011, 09:15 AM
He was blue balling and prematured on a hooker. 9 months later, she has triplets. True story.

AKEP
12-08-2011, 12:33 PM
rings loosing that "tight seal" and sometimes sludge holding in heat, tolerances becoming too high. things like that. my 20 year old ef was rated for 60hp, made 60hp on the dyno. burns oil like a mofo.

Red_liner740
12-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Piston rings wearing out and allowing blow-by, valve seats wearing out and causing blow by, carbon build up from poorly tuned car...yea a car can loose tons of power over the years but trust me, you will KNOW if that was happening...burning oil, constantly topping up oil etc etc would clue you in a lot faster than "gee my car doesnt feel as peppy"

The thing about loss of compression from blow by (the number one reasong your car looses power) is that all that crap ends up in your oil, running too rich? you'll wash out your cylinder walls and all that fuel will end up in the oil = lack of engine lubrication = spun bearings etc etc.

In short anything that would cause your engine too loose massive amounts of power will end up destroying the engine totally a lot faster than years and years of driving with "low power"

tlikethedrink
12-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Like they said above:

But I would also say clogged cat-converter can cause loss too.