PDA

View Full Version : Low oil, how much could it hurt?

TheBerrynator
12-10-2011, 12:28 AM
So, about a month back, I autocrossed my car for the first time. Being the responsible driver I am, I checked my fluids beforehand, and everything checked out. During the autocross, my car stuttered at 4k RPM's twice around the same corner. My check engine light came on on the last run, so i drove my car to Autozone to see what the code was. The guy checks it, says there aren't any error codes, and the next time I started the car the light was off. From reading other posts, I now believe this would be due to slightly low oil sloshing around, and tripping a sensor.

Fast forward to this past week, and my low oil light flashes, and goes off. I check my oil, and there is no oil on the dipstick. I put a quart of oil in it, and it is now halfway to the low oil mark. I'm going to put another quart in it when I get the chance, but I just haven't had the time. (I also have not been driving it, so no hurry). I would estimate the car was at least 1.5 - 2 quarts low.

My question is, I know there is a chance I damaged my motor, If the light only flashed once, how bad could it be? Is there a chance that, while it was really low, there was still enough in the motor to not create problems? Also, the manual recommends using 5w-20 oil, Should I be using 5w-30 oil instead?

I plan on changing out the oil in the next month, but I have at least a two hour, 150+ mile drive to make before that's possible.

Thanks!

nowhales
12-10-2011, 01:14 AM
One thing to worry about with low oil is cam galling, so go ahead and open that crankcase and check your cams. Second, like all engines oil levels are extremely important to keep it running smooth so better to have just a bit more than too little. Yes 5W-20 is recommended but at this point you might want to move up in weight and go with 5W-30. I just filled up with 5W-30 fully synthetic, gotta keep the k20 happy!

bizzle
12-10-2011, 09:31 AM
Let's put it this way, my friend has an Accord which has a K24A4 and he constantly drives it with oil so low the dipstick shows almost nothing or nothing at all. He has 130k+ and hasn't blown it up yet. That's not saying I recommend it, but his is still going.

And yes, he is a moron.

whatsvtec
12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Damn, I didn't know that we needed baffles this badly in our earl pans. What weight oil are you running? I would pull the oil cap to start and check the cam lobe underneath to see if you see any damage, it wouldn't hurt to pull the valve cover too if you had the chance. Would be a good time to change plugs, valve cover gasket etc if you were planning maintenance anyhow.

TheBerrynator
12-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Ok, I'll take a look before I drive It next, but I did look when I put the oil in the car, and there was still a good layer of oil on the cams and from what I could tell there wasn't any damage. I was thinking about replacing (or at least checking) the spark plugs when I changed the oil anyways.

Blah1219
12-10-2011, 10:50 AM
One thing to worry about with low oil is cam galling, so go ahead and open that crankcase and check your cams. Second, like all engines oil levels are extremely important to keep it running smooth so better to have just a bit more than too little. Yes 5W-20 is recommended but at this point you might want to move up in weight and go with 5W-30. I just filled up with 5W-30 fully synthetic, gotta keep the k20 happy!

Yup go ahead pop open the crankcase since we all know our ep3s come with a 350 big block where the cam is in the block.

I had to say that haha

Ba82Ep3
12-10-2011, 11:15 AM
Were you bouncing the car off the rev limiter while you auto x'd?

SHHEP3@UB
12-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Same thing happened to me during an autocross, I checked the oil beforehand and it was right on, but the same long corner with a sustained g-force on the car tripped the low oil sensor and put the car in limp mode until things cooled off and I restarted the car. This is the only time it has ever happened to me, and it was at the same corner and I definitely wasn't bouncing off the rev limiter as I went around. I haven't had the oil level drop like you have, so I have been just much more careful in monitoring oil levels when I autocross to make sure it's topped off. I'm not that active of a auto-xer, so maybe others can chime in.

TheBerrynator
12-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Were you bouncing the car off the rev limiter while you auto x'd?

no, I stayed in 2nd the whole track, and the highest it got was still at least 1k rpm below the rev limiter. The only time it did it was when i hit that turn (it was a long sweeper, the highest speed turn on the course)

I dont think i mentioned this, but it is about 500 miles past due for an oil change anyways. I'm just going to check my oil levels more frequently, (once a week instead of once a month), and be more careful driving.

Ba82Ep3
12-10-2011, 01:53 PM
Bouncing off the rev limiter CAN ( but im not saying always) break a ring land or crack a ring. This would usually create a visual cue though... not just abnormal oil usage. Just keep an eye on it and keep us up to date...

ep3jd
12-10-2011, 02:50 PM
Yup go ahead pop open the crankcase since we all know our ep3s come with a 350 big block where the cam is in the block.

I had to say that haha

LOL

Sorry, back on topic.

Slip_Angle
12-10-2011, 09:54 PM
^^ You're fine. The dummy lights aren't going to wait until engine damage can occur.

On another note, I've been autocrossing my car since 2003. Bounced it off the rev limiter hundreds of times with the k20a3 and k24a2. No issues. Honda makes bullet proof motors in most cases.

nowhales
12-10-2011, 10:03 PM

I had to say that haha
fuhhh....... you got me there! i missed that, i was sidetracked :mconfused:

CJ89
12-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Your more than likely fine. I am a avid auto x'er unfortunately I have not yet had the chance to Autox my ep sense I bought the the weekend after the season ended........ my last civic a 94 ex coupe (d16z6) never had any problems. I checked my oil b4 every run just to make sure and still had the light flicker on threw long hard ( yes I said it no need to joke about it lol ) cornering. My car always did great and never had any problems. Its more than likely just a non Autox friendly location were honda desided to put there oil sensor.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

junevtec
12-10-2011, 10:18 PM
i was thinking the same thing lol im like damn we got a chevy engine in this biach lol i guess he meant valve cover

I had to say that haha

nowhales
12-10-2011, 10:19 PM
i was thinking the same thing lol im like damn we got a chevy engine in this biach lol i guess he meant valve cover

my bad my bad, lol.:mcry:

civicSIracer
12-10-2011, 10:40 PM
put oil in your car boner.. is it that hard?

Red_liner740
12-11-2011, 09:08 AM
is the oil pressure light flickering or the oil level? do the k series even have the oil level sensor? it flicked for a second because centripedal force pushed the oil away from the pickup and the same force wasnt allowing the oil to drain back down to the pan properly thats why its only seen on long turns. you momentatily lost oil pressure in the system. at low rpm its not a big deal but at high rpm and WOT the cylinder pressure has enough force to squize oil out of connecting rod/crankshaft bearings and cause megal on metal contact same thing can happen if you lug your engine at low rpm and go wot. in that case there is simply not enough pressure provided by the oil pump.

Ba82Ep3
12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
... it flicked for a second because centripedal force pushed the oil away from the pickup...

All kindsa stuff goin on in this post...

... is this supposed to mean 'centre pedal'... or 'centrifugal'?

:suspicious:

Red_liner740
12-11-2011, 10:41 AM
my apologies i meant centrifugal, i have no idea why i wrote centripetal (the force that is exerted by gravity).

None the less, the issues described are true.

All kindsa stuff goin on in this post...

... is this supposed to mean 'centre pedal'... or 'centrifugal'?

:suspicious:

apexracing
12-12-2011, 09:27 AM
my apologies i meant centrifugal, i have no idea why i wrote centripetal (the force that is exerted by gravity).

None the less, the issues described are true.

Speaks the truth can happen getting on and off the freeway too.