PDA

View Full Version : Emergency / Hand Brake Issues?

Jonny_EP3
12-12-2011, 11:36 AM
Hey all,

Yesterday I went to move my car, only to find about 4 inches of play in the hand brake. That said, I tried to move regardless, and the driver-side rear wheel seized. I guess the handbrake had become stuck. I was able to loosen it by gently rocking the car back and forth, and eventually the play in the hand brake was gone - it was tight again.

Has anyone encountered this? It seems to work fine, except for when my car sits over night at which point it seizes that wheel. Only thing I could think that would cause it would be the cold (it's around 0 degrees C / 35 F).

Thanks,

sir_2002
12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
I had a problem with my handbrake sticking on but not as worse as u (driver side too !)
I lube the hand brake cable mechanism on the caliper, maybe u should chek there ?

apexracing
12-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Replace your caliper, and the caliper bracket and guide pins. problem solved.

ImportCustomx
12-13-2011, 06:54 AM
What apex said. I had the same exact problem..its the spring on the caliper and the piston that presses the pad. replace the rear caliper and youll be fine.

good luck.

Also , before you post next time, please be aware of where your posting..this should be in the area with suspension and brakes.

Zzyzx
12-13-2011, 10:51 AM
So it was freezing last night? Driving a lot in snow& ice?

if so, your problem could easily be caused by ice inside the e-brake drum. the heat from the brakes melts what ever ice may have built up around the hub assembly which then leaks in to the brake drum, eventually freezing and siezing up the setup.

Best to stop using the ebrake for now and put the car in reverse to lock it up; the cars not going to roll anywhere if its in gear.