PDA

View Full Version : Slip off Jack, bent rad Support

jayjeff333
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
Hey guys!
I was working on my EP a while back, and I had it jacked in the front, and somehow the jack slipped forwards, and it then bent the brace type piece that is right under the radiator..The one in this pic. ( no this is not my car, don't worry lol). I was thinknig removing the bumper tomorrow and somehow prying it downwards? What it has done is push these 2 bars that are vertically connected to it upwards, and my hood sticks up a bit now when closed. These 2 abrs are basically connected to the hood latch piece and to the rad support piece that I bent. So as I bent up the rad support, these 2 pieces pushed upwards taking the hood latch piece with them. Anywase can this piece be easily changed or should I just pull it back down? The exact piece in red.( Also the Rad is not damaged or any leaks or anything..)
Thanks
Jeff
Pic thanks to "dyeownsme"
http://s899.photobucket.com/albums/ac194/jayjeff333/?action=view&current=22FW1h.jpg

makavelibranded
12-14-2011, 12:03 AM
I had a friend with an em2, and several other epers have put the jack under the radiator support beam and tried to lift the car from there too, might as well try and bend it back I havint seen a thread like this in while but im pretty sure thats what most did minus the that kept going till they hit there radiator.

frm_808
12-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Wise man told me to use jack stands as well

nowhales
12-14-2011, 02:11 AM

amen to that.

jayjeff333
12-14-2011, 06:57 AM
Haha thats the funny thing! I had done some work, it was on jackstands. What I was doing is jacking the car a bit higher to remove the jack stands. Apparently i was jacking it up too fast and it jerked forward ending up under the rad support. Either way im going to pull it out of sotrage today and see what I can do. I migt have to remove the rad to get access and push down on it. I'll keep ya'll posted. Theres also alot of DYI's i'd like to get done!

gtolio
12-14-2011, 09:32 AM

It has nothing at all to do with using or not using jack stands. You have to get the car up on the jack stands somehow, right? lol

This same thing happened to me a while ago. An idiot I know decided to jack my car up using the radiator support because he only knew older Hondas where that actually is the jacking point. It pushed my entire radiator support, and subsequently the hood latch, upwards to where my hood would not close correctly.

As a temporary fix, I took a long-handled sledge hammer and used the handle to pry between my strut tower bar, the valve cover, and around both sides of the hood latch. I was able to bend it down enough to allow the hood to close properly.

Eventually, what I'm going to do is replace the radiator support pieces. They are parts 3, 4 and 14 in this diagram:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+SI+%28SIDE+SRS%29&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+BULKHEAD

jayjeff333
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM
It has nothing at all to do with using or not using jack stands. You have to get the car up on the jack stands somehow, right? lol

This same thing happened to me a while ago. An idiot I know decided to jack my car up using the radiator support because he only knew older Hondas where that actually is the jacking point. It pushed my entire radiator support, and subsequently the hood latch, upwards to where my hood would not close correctly.

As a temporary fix, I took a long-handled sledge hammer and used the handle to pry between my strut tower bar, the valve cover, and around both sides of the hood latch. I was able to bend it down enough to allow the hood to close properly.

Eventually, what I'm going to do is replace the radiator support pieces. They are parts 3, 4 and 14 in this diagram:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2005&catcgry3=3DR+SI+%28SIDE+SRS%29&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=FRONT+BULKHEAD

Wow! Alright thanks for the link. In total, that seems like 400$ in pieces. Im gonna get on it today and try to bend it back. However, what your describing is prettty much what happened, except i did jack it on the sbframe but it slipped forwards to the rad support. However, we had the same out come! Thanks for your reply, Helps me out a little! Im gonna try to push down the rad support and hopefully it takes down the hood latch and everything with it.

Andrew
12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Wow! Alright thanks for the link. In total, that seems like 400$ in pieces. Im gonna get on it today and try to bend it back. However, what your describing is prettty much what happened, except i did jack it on the sbframe but it slipped forwards to the rad support. However, we had the same out come! Thanks for your reply, Helps me out a little! Im gonna try to push down the rad support and hopefully it takes down the hood latch and everything with it.

as a young teenager on a hungover morning changing my oil i did the same. for almost 4 months i let it be then fixed it. take the WHOLE bumper off. grab some type of bar or i used a very sturdy belt YES i said BELT and then a pry bar. wrap the belt or whatever you have on the the lower radiator support and start pushing down on it and bending it back for your life. i'm pretty satisfied with what it looks like it may have a little more gap than OEM, but i dont have the ability to stick my whole fucking hand in the engine bay without opening the hood now haha. good luck to your sir and no need to buy the $400 worth in parts. the only thing that sucks is that this incident has emitted my SRS light on and ive never fixed that yet sigh. ...

Ba82Ep3
12-14-2011, 11:45 AM
If you have the e brake on while you jack the car up and you use a jack with no wheels... the jack will not be able to move towards the back of the car as you jack the front up. Thats why it popped off the subframe and hit the rad support. Next time make sure you are on level ground, and release the e brake while you jack it up. Once you have the stands under it, chock the wheels and use the e brake. Or you could just use a decent floor jack with wheels.

Feel lucky... at least you can get a jack under your car... i have to use an engine hoist attached to the rear engine mount to get my EJ off the floor...

apexracing
12-14-2011, 10:25 PM
Feel lucky... at least you can get a jack under your car... i have to use an engine hoist attached to the rear engine mount to get my EJ off the floor...

Wheres the god damn like button already lol