PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise

Popeye
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM
So about a month or two ago, I had my ball joints replaced. Since then, I have had a popping noise coming from the front of my car. At first I thought it was the engine mounts. But, like I said, it didnt start happening until AFTER it left the mechanic. Is there anything someone can do to a car, while changing ball joints, to make a popping sound? Or is it really my engine mounts?

PatrickJamesYu
12-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Try power braking.
Pull up your e-brake, and rev a bit into first gear, just enough so you wont stall, but you don't need to roll.

Does the noise still happen?

Oh and when does the noise happen?
Is it regular, irregular, predictable, can you replicate it when need be?

Popeye
12-15-2011, 02:31 PM
It mainly happens when I accelerate in a turn. Like making a turn into or out of a driveway or parking lot. It's not a cv axle. I know that sound by heart.

thaseint
12-15-2011, 03:23 PM
So about a month or two ago, I had my ball joints replaced. Since then, I have had a popping noise coming from the front of my car. At first I thought it was the engine mounts. But, like I said, it didnt start happening until AFTER it left the mechanic. Is there anything someone can do to a car, while changing ball joints, to make a popping sound? Or is it really my engine mounts?

I'd venture to guess it's one of two things: sway bar endlinks or bad ball joint install.

Check to make sure the endlinks are torqued down properly and in good shape first since those will be a cheaper and easier fix.

Question: Did they replace JUST the ball joints or did they replace the knuckle? The reason I ask is because from what I understand replacing just the ball joint on our cars is a bit tricky. The ball joint itself is pressed into the knuckle and if a shop doesn't do it right you can expect for the ball joint to pop.

When one of my ball joints went bad I replaced the entire knuckle which comes with the ball joint pressed in from the factory. Fixed the problem right away.

Popeye
12-15-2011, 06:10 PM
They did JUST the ball joints.
I did the e-brake deal, and no popping.
Im betting that jackass didnt install my ball joints correctly. Im gonna take it by there tomorrow. If he doesnt make it right, this is a small town. BOTH sides of my wife's family is from here. Needless to say, I can get the word out....

civicSIracer
12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
control arm bushings! check em

Popeye
12-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Took it to the shop, put it on the lift, and checked it out. Suspension looked fine, but the front AND the back motor mounts are cracked pretty good.

PatrickJamesYu
12-16-2011, 07:56 PM
Took it to the shop, put it on the lift, and checked it out. Suspension looked fine, but the front AND the back motor mounts are cracked pretty good.

Sounds like you know what you need.
I'd go poly since you have a chance to upgrade.
Or save some money and find some used OEM ones.
I think Fepster might be selling some in his forsale thread?
maybe it was someone else.

AttarixEp
12-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Grab a breaker bar with a socket. Put it on a lug nut like you are going to tighten them. Jerk it down with some force(not too much to over tighten the lug nut). If the wheel has movement forward and back ward when you push down and release, it's a sign of weak control arm bushings. Now put 2000lbs behind it trying to accelerate, and you will get a popping sound

Popeye
12-16-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I already have some black Energy Suspension one's. They'll be going in next Friday.

AttarixEp
12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Let me know how they ride. I will be doing a suspension overhaul when my big turbo build is done.

Popeye
12-17-2011, 07:09 AM
I would imagine I wont feel much of anything if they're just motor mounts. But for sure, I'll definately let you know how they are.