PDA

View Full Version : Can't get driver to update for K-Manager

iDom
12-17-2011, 05:29 PM
Just installed K-Pro and uploaded the "High Octane Re-flash" from a friends computer. So the car is good to go, minus the green flashing key..... (I know what this is, it's just annoying)

I don't know if this is the right section or website for all this.. I can't get the drivers to update. I have plugged it in and searched for it via internet, I have tried to do it manually as well.. I'm not computer illiterate, but I can't get it to work. For some reason, it isn't updating the driver properly.

My laptop has Windows 7 and it's all up to date, and I have done the step-by-step instructions on Hondata. I have manually tried locating the driver on my computer after downloading what I 'think' is the correct driver, but it didn't resolve in success..

Here's the link that I downloaded:
http://hondata.com/updates/KProDrivers.exe

Sorry if this is obvious/stupid..

Ba82Ep3
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Are you using 'update USB drivers' on the Help tab in KManager?

ECU needs to be plugged in and the ignition on... then use the Help tab. Unfortunately i havent used WIN7 yet to know if there are differences...

BTW: Grats on the upgrade! :thumbu:

iDom
12-18-2011, 12:55 AM

I did do those steps with the key in the on position, and linked up to the ECU and it couldn't update the drivers. I tried doing the update via the web, and I tried doing it manually too and still no luck.

My friends computer who successfully had it installed on his computer is running Vista, and Hondata gives instructions in the form of "Widows XP" and "Windows Vista/7/8"

I have tried everything in the Help tab, no cigar. :/

BHanz34
12-18-2011, 04:47 PM
I just k-pro'd today also. Is the only way to fix the green flashing key by going to the dealer and have them reprogram the immobilizer?

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I just k-pro'd today also. Is the only way to fix the green flashing key by going to the dealer and have them reprogram the immobilizer?

Yes, Honda needs to reprogram it. It wont mess up a tune on K-pro.

iDom
12-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Oh yea, I noticed another thing; when I loaded the high octane re-flash on my k-pro, the rev limit was 7,300 and not 7,700 like it says on Hondata's website.. Not that I care much, or think I even plan on rev'ing my a3 that high (planning on a k24a2 swap in the spring), but why would that be? I didn't mess with anything except the launch control, put that to 3,500 and turned off the immobi. Any ideas as to why that is?

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 06:15 PM
It might be a safety preset. K24a2 swap is where it's at. I did mine last winter with my ep3 JRSC. World of difference! Getting torn apart for a big turbo build this winter and all of next year.

iDom
12-18-2011, 06:25 PM
It might be a safety preset. K24a2 swap is where it's at. I did mine last winter with my ep3 JRSC. World of difference! Getting torn apart for a big turbo build this winter and all of next year.

You're saying the k24a2 swap was a world of difference from your k20a3 JRSC? That's awesome, that's what I'm looking forward to. Just need the engine, motor mounts, clutch and i'm thinking about getting an RBC.. Still tossing that idea around.

What's the general area of your location in OH? I'm Northwestern, and who do you go through for your tuning? I think i'm going to go with SlowMotion.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 06:35 PM
You're saying the k24a2 swap was a world of difference from your k20a3 JRSC? That's awesome, that's what I'm looking forward to. Just need the engine, motor mounts, clutch and i'm thinking about getting an RBC.. Still tossing that idea around.

What's the general area of your location in OH? I'm Northwestern, and who do you go through for your tuning? I think i'm going to go with SlowMotion.

The tq numbers are crazy different. I ran my JRSC on the k24 as well(will be selling once I get it off and the engine out). There's not much you need to do the swap. Pretty straight forward. Definitely get the RSX-S VTC actuator to run 45* advance. Open the intake and exhaust side up too. The EP3 exhaust and intake are too restrictive.

I'm about 20 min south of Cleveland. Went to Aaron at Pure-Tuning in Toledo. All my machine work for the turbo build (head, block, etc) will be done ad SlowMotion. The biggest differences between the two. SM is more all around tuning for all types of set-ups. PT is very track inspired in their tuning. Neither do bad work at all, SM is a little easier to work with on that basis.

iDom
12-18-2011, 06:46 PM
The tq numbers are crazy different. I ran my JRSC on the k24 as well(will be selling once I get it off and the engine out). There's not much you need to do the swap. Pretty straight forward. Definitely get the RSX-S VTC actuator to run 45* advance. Open the intake and exhaust side up too. The EP3 exhaust and intake are too restrictive.

I'm about 20 min south of Cleveland. Went to Aaron at Pure-Tuning in Toledo. All my machine work for the turbo build (head, block, etc) will be done ad SlowMotion. The biggest differences between the two. SM is more all around tuning for all types of set-ups. PT is very track inspired in their tuning. Neither do bad work at all, SM is a little easier to work with on that basis.

I was thinking about the VTC actuator, they're relatively cheap too, aren't they?

Also, yes I know the PRB IM isn't ideal, but I was still tossing it up. I'll probably get the RBC. I already have a JRRH/Test Pipe, and a HKS exhaust so i'm good on that end.

Yea, I have a friend who recently got some work done by Pure to his turbo'd D17 but.. Pure is expensive.. Charged him 2,800 to make a downpipe and a tune. SlowMo has a $425 flat rate for tuning, idk what Pure's is, but.. $2,000+ seems to be a lot for a downpipe.. I know they both do good work though.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 07:17 PM
I was thinking about the VTC actuator, they're relatively cheap too, aren't they?

Also, yes I know the PRB IM isn't ideal, but I was still tossing it up. I'll probably get the RBC. I already have a JRRH/Test Pipe, and a HKS exhaust so i'm good on that end.

Yea, I have a friend who recently got some work done by Pure to his turbo'd D17 but.. Pure is expensive.. Charged him 2,800 to make a downpipe and a tune. SlowMo has a $425 flat rate for tuning, idk what Pure's is, but.. $2,000+ seems to be a lot for a downpipe.. I know they both do good work though.

VTC from Acura was right around $125. The outcome is worth double that price.

PT is expensive, high quality work, but you pay. It comes with the territory though as they have been branching into the high end cars lately. Most what I see them do anymore are 911's, GT-R's, and things along those lines. $550 is their flat rate K-pro tune and $125/hr plus hook up fees for any re-tune after. Factor in the gas it costs for me to drive the 100 some miles out there and it adds up fast.

I talked to the guys at SM for a while about full head job and full block build including sleeves on my k24. Between talking to them, and the estimate I got, I'm heading south for my work.

iDom
12-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I guess we'll see.. Still doing a bit more research before I start buying anything else.. I'm trying to figure out which VTC/Intake Manifold to go with now..

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:04 PM
I guess we'll see.. Still doing a bit more research before I start buying anything else.. I'm trying to figure out which VTC/Intake Manifold to go with now..

RBC manifold is a solid manifold. Yields the same gains as skunk2's pro series. VTC modify the k24 or buy the type-s. Just be sure its limited to 45* because the valve to piston clearance is a lot tighter in the k24a2, and you dont want to risk over revving.

iDom
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
RBC manifold is a solid manifold. Yields the same gains as skunk2's pro series. VTC modify the k24 or buy the type-s. Just be sure its limited to 45* because the valve to piston clearance is a lot tighter in the k24a2, and you dont want to risk over revving.

Yea I was just looking in to that stuff, which engine comes with a 45* VTC? All I could figure out while looking at stuff is that the RSX-S is a 50*

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Yea I was just looking in to that stuff, which engine comes with a 45* VTC? All I could figure out while looking at stuff is that the RSX-S is a 50*

Unfortunately none. You either get 25 or 50. You can get the TSX gear modded. They remove some material to allow the internals to rotate farther to 45*. Or you get the RSX-S gear and limit it in K-pro to 45*

iDom
12-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Unfortunately none. You either get 25 or 50. You can get the TSX gear modded. They remove some material to allow the internals to rotate farther to 45*. Or you get the RSX-S gear and limit it in K-pro to 45*

Oh I see, I literally just installed k-pro yesterday.. I wasn't aware that you could limit it in k-pro, I thought it was strictly a mechanical thing.. Well, that settles that then.. I'll just get the 50* and tell the tuner to put it at 45* with a 7,500 rev limit for safety.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Oh I see, I literally just installed k-pro yesterday.. I wasn't aware that you could limit it in k-pro, I thought it was strictly a mechanical thing.. Well, that settles that then.. I'll just get the 50* and tell the tuner to put it at 45* with a 7,500 rev limit for safety.

Good deal. My tuner set the rev limiter to 8,000 on top of that for another safety precaution. Power started to drop shortly after 7,600rpm though.

iDom
12-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Good deal. My tuner set the rev limiter to 8,000 on top of that for another safety precaution. Power started to drop shortly after 7,600rpm though.

Thanks a lot for the info, maybe i'll see you at some meet somewhere sometime next spring/summer.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, maybe i'll see you at some meet somewhere sometime next spring/summer.

I will try to make some. Wont have my ep though. This build is going take the better part of all next year if not slightly more. As soon as I get rolling a little more and things start happening. Almost all my new valvetrain has come in. It will be off to SlowMotion hopefully by Feb for all the machine work! I will start a build thread Probably around that time too. But I will still be out and about to see whats going on.

iDom
12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
That's cool man. My goal is just to have the swap completed sometime in April/May. Oh yea, if you hear of any good deals on a TSX motor, I'd appreciate it if you'd shoot me a PM haha.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:47 PM
I went through Honda Motors Online. They come with less than 40K miles, as well as a start up warranty. Good prices too and reputable.

gtolio
12-19-2011, 09:31 AM

You can in kpro because there's an electronic solenoid that opens and closes the oil passages to advance or retard the VTC.

I'm sure setting a 50* VTC to 45* in kpro is safe, but personally, I'd feel better if it was mechanically unable to go past where I wanted it. I'm not that familiar with modded VTCs, but I could see how it would be fairly simple for a machine shop to do.

Ba82Ep3
12-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Its not hard at all. Ive modded both a *25 and a *50. Modding the *25 is easier. (You take material off the *25... i added material to the *50... a physical stop comprised of a VTEC rocker pin.)

iDom
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Its not hard at all. Ive modded both a *25 and a *50. Modding the *25 is easier. (You take material off the *25... i added material to the *50... a physical stop comprised of a VTEC rocker pin.)

Wanna shoot me a PM on the price of a modded one so it'll go right in?

Ba82Ep3
12-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Wanna shoot me a PM on the price of a modded one so it'll go right in?

Lemme pull my parts bins out to be sure i have enough VTEC rocker pins and ill let ya know. :thumbu:

iDom
12-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Lemme pull my parts bins out to be sure i have enough VTEC rocker pins and ill let ya know. :thumbu:

Thanks man

ImportCustomx
01-05-2012, 01:07 PM
i smell a build a thread... get to it!

iDom
01-06-2012, 06:29 AM
i smell a build a thread... get to it!

I'm pretty boring, if I do, it will be just a simple swap :/ lol

I wish I had pictures of when I first got her..