PDA

View Full Version : How do you know when you need a new clutch?

StockTexasEP3
12-18-2011, 01:15 AM
My clutch is squeaky and the shifts are kind of clunky.. How do I know if I need to replace my clutch? I will be getting shift bushings soon but I'm afraid the clutch isn't doing too hot. The car has about 100000 miles and the clutch I believe has been replaced once around 50 or 60 k miles. What y'all think?

AKEP
12-18-2011, 03:59 AM
flush trans fluid, put in new fluid. also bleed clutch slave cylinder. same fluid as brakes.

Blah1219
12-18-2011, 06:57 AM
You would really notice clutch slip. That's when you gas it and the rpms rise but doesn't grab at all. There's also the throw out bearing noise when you push in the clutch the noise is somewhat muffled and when you release it, it literally sounds like a bunch of shrapnel rattling in a tin can.

StockTexasEP3
12-19-2011, 03:58 AM
flush trans fluid, put in new fluid. also bleed clutch slave cylinder. same fluid as brakes.

Is there a DIY anywhere for this?

AKEP
12-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Is there a DIY anywhere for this?

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?62770-EP3-helms-man-for-free!

its like changing the oil, theres a drain plug.

drain transmission, replace bolt and crush washer, remove top bolt (2" higher than drain), find a funnel with a hose or attach your own hose, fill with 2 quarts of honda MTF or equivilent. reinstall bolt. total cost ~$28?

clutch slave bleed, same as brakes. the clutch slave is in the front of the transmission, attach a hose to the end and use a (10 mm? 8mm?) wrench to loosen it while someone presses the clutch down. or just leave it open and let gravity bleed it out and fill the resevoir until the slave lets out clean fluid. the later being best since noone ever touches it.