PDA

View Full Version : Low beams stopped working. Need help/suggestions.

beefed88
12-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Both my low beams stopped working. High beams work fine. Fuses are good. Bulbs are good. Guessing the switch but before I order one and take off the steering wheel to replace it does anyone have any other ideas? Are the switches known for going out? TIA.

2002 si. Factory headlights.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 07:19 PM
The wiring is known to be a problem with Silverstar's. The wiring is fairly small and those bulbs require a pretty high amperage. Check for shorts. A lot of people have just gone the HID route to ignore that issue all together.

beefed88
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
I have oem lamps never have been changed. Just got in my car today and neither worked so that is why I am leaning towards the switch.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
12-18-2011, 07:47 PM
also make sure to check ur grounds

beefed88
12-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Don't the high beams and low beams share a ground? Most cars do.

AttarixEp
12-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Don't the high beams and low beams share a ground? Most cars do.

There's only 3 wires in the harness so it would make sense. Power to low, Power to high, Ground.

AUTiger
12-19-2011, 01:34 PM
pull the cover off the steering column. Mine is the same way and has been for years. The actual connector is melted, I had it working okay for the last couple of months, but two weeks ago I smelt smoke and low and behold it was coming from my steering column. Honda had a recall on 2002 models, but they told me my 02 was not covered because it was made in the later part of 02.

doubledouble
12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Sort of OT but still relevant: I have aftermarket HIDs and 9/10 times one of them doesn't come on. Before I take them in, is there something quick I can check like a loose wire or something I can make sure is connected correctly?

I'm a total noob so any input in layman's terms would be helpful.

AttarixEp
12-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Sort of OT but still relevant: I have aftermarket HIDs and 9/10 times one of them doesn't come on. Before I take them in, is there something quick I can check like a loose wire or something I can make sure is connected correctly?

I'm a total noob so any input in layman's terms would be helpful.

Check grounds, power, fuses, relays, wherever you tapped in to pull power if you didn't go straight off the battery.

beefed88
12-19-2011, 08:15 PM
Looks like I will be taking apart the steering wheel. Grounds are shared with high beams. Left and right use separate fuses relays and grounds so I am going to order the switch. Just didn't want to take of the steering wheel and airbag.

jimmyjames
12-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Double check your bulbs. My first time with silver stars, one bulb blew and the surge from the blow blew the other one. Thought it may have been steering column switch but turned out to be bulbs.