PDA

View Full Version : Random question: Is there an optional UKDM type r gauge cluster?

tinman5
12-18-2011, 09:43 PM
I recently purchased a cluster and discovered I did not have to mod the wiring harness to activate the center console lights.
Did not immediately notice the difference compared to other type r clusters, but the one I received in fact has the dimmer inside the cluster just like the stocker. I was pleasantly surprised. I was just curious as only a couple of other posts showed up regarding a straight plug and play install.

AKEP
12-19-2011, 01:41 AM
i never heard of this. i always heard it was plug n play.

Danielsle
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
i never heard of this. i always heard it was plug n play.

same.

tinman5
12-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Sorry, let me re-phrase.
I understand all the clusters are direct fit with the same connectors. However, none of the clusters I have seen, JDM or EDM, have the dimmer for the dash lighting in the gauge cluster itself. To my understanding, the Type R's run the dimmer switch on the dash board. So american cars require the grounding of one wire to allow the lights for the hvac to light up.
This particular gauge cluster I received has the dimmer switch incorporated into the gauge cluster, just like my stock US model. Direct plug and play, no modding of the stock harness. Everything lights up and the brightness can be adjusted.

thakid
12-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Maybe a fake. Stock with uk face.

tinman5
12-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Hmm. Something to look into. I did several runs last night with my gps. The speedo is pretty consistent with the stock cluster. They both read about 3 miles off @80 mph. I guess thats about right considering I am running 205/50 16's, thats about a half inch smaller than stock...
Now I'm really curios.

AKEP
12-20-2011, 05:19 AM
oh yeah they do run the dimmer on a separate panel. gotcha. is ODO in Km?

tinman5
12-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Negative. It reads in miles with a max speed of 160.
I did also notice the taco-meter is off by a few hundred rpm at redline. I have a Pivot shift light set up to go off @8100, on the new cluster it shows that shift point at 85k. In both second and third, with the rev limiter at a hair past nine.

gtolio
12-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Negative. It reads in miles with a max speed of 160.
I did also notice the taco-meter is off by a few hundred rpm at redline. I have a Pivot shift light set up to go off @8100, on the new cluster it shows that shift point at 85k. In both second and third, with the rev limiter at a hair past nine.

That's normal. The tach is off on stock USDM gauges also.

Also, I believe the UKDM CTR cluster reads in MPH.

Some pics of what you're talking about would be helpful.

nmysiismyn
01-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Some UKDM CTR clusters have the dimmer switch.. Some UKDM CTR clusters don't...

I can't tell you which one is made where and exactly why though Besides, that's all just details..

usedep3
01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Some UKDM CTR clusters have the dimmer switch.. Some UKDM CTR clusters don't...

I can't tell you which one is made where and exactly why though Besides, that's all just details..

pics or :ban: :tehe:

nmysiismyn
01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
I think I've spent enough time today, diggin' up pics. :gheyf:
Holy cow! I'm spent! :tehe:

SO MUCH FOR DOING YARDWORK! :mredface:

tinman5
01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Alright, i snapped a couple of pics, downloaded to photobucket app, copied img code, now how do i get the pics from there to here? Stinkin' iphone (i hate to love the damn thing)
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/989aa237.jpg
HaHah! Learn something new everyday. Damn... Thats a pretty good pic for a phone camera.

tinman5
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/4615dcbe.jpg
And number 2.
Sorry guys, to say i am a technological caveman is to be kind...

nmysiismyn
01-10-2012, 11:39 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/4615dcbe.jpg
And number 2.
Sorry guys, to say i am a technological caveman is to be kind...

That is a good pic.. Nice!
You got it! :mbiggrin:

What kinds of phone are you using? Photobucket has an app that'll make your life a bit easier. :mbiggrin:
There's Tapatalk too, which is an app for forums, like this one.

tinman5
01-11-2012, 04:20 AM
Iphone 4s. Unfortunately with Sprint network is not the fastest inthe world, but the coverage is outstanding compared to other carriers. I'm a delivery driver driving throughout Texas and Sprint has the most consistent coverage.
Got the p-bucket app, still learning the phone though.

nmysiismyn
01-11-2012, 12:15 PM
Iphone 4s. Unfortunately with Sprint network is not the fastest inthe world, but the coverage is outstanding compared to other carriers. I'm a delivery driver driving throughout Texas and Sprint has the most consistent coverage.
Got the p-bucket app, still learning the phone though.

:thumbu: Sprint FTW! Just keep at it and play with out when you can.. It'll become easy soon. :msmile: