PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Emblem Installation ?

NateCox
12-19-2011, 08:21 AM
Guys, bought one of those red JDM badges, and NOT THINKING, removed the OEM steering wheel emblem....sort of had to, once I pried one corner, realized it was metal I had to finish since it looked like crap. The red JDM emblem won't work, too small.

Bought a replacement black OEM style emblem to put back on.

Has anyone ever put one on? There's metal tabs, and I'm wondering if I just push it in place and that's that, or does the cover need to be pulled off and the tabs bent from the inside.

Can you even remove the cover? Hesitant to "f" with an airbag.....

Thanks!
N

RHCP0801
12-19-2011, 09:06 AM
you can remove the airbag, one torx screw on each side in the back of the wheel. I never knew you were even able to take off that H. You realize the JDM badges are for the outside of the car not the steering wheel? Corsport sells a red sticker overlay that goes over the H on the wheel

makavelibranded
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Ive never heard of someone doing this, most just buy the sticker.

NateCox
12-19-2011, 11:19 AM
yeah, I thought the steering wheel emblem was just double sided taped on, it's actually metal, and held in with tabs....

Not sure if removing the airbag will be my choice. Taking it off is easy, but how to get the frontcover separated from the guts of the bag?

Looking at the wheel, it appears that the tabs will be forced to splay outwards if I gently push the piece in. It was a beyatch to get it out!

Here's what I bought
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/01-07-HONDA-DRIVER-SIDE-AIRBAG-AIRBAGS-EMBLEM-AIR-BAG-/12/!CEpkUlQ!mk~$(KGrHqR,!hYE0e35PrTFBNSgvG2SH!~~_12.J PG

Here's the wheel now
http://fototime.com/6AAB63B613C73DF/standard.jpg

Here's the JDM emblem...smaller, plastic...
http://fototime.com/D62DFE3C3512B6F/standard.jpg
macro photo really shows my fingerprint!

word to the wise? buy the sticker which fits over the OEM one!

RHCP0801
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
word to the wise? buy the sticker which fits over the OEM one!

well yea lol, I think your the only one in the history of the site to take an emblem for the outside of the car, pry the stock steering wheel emblem off and try to put that on

Once you have the air bag off, you need to take the ignitor out also since that sits right behind the emblem. Even after that is out I'm not sure you will be able to see the back of the emblem. You might have to disassemble the guts of the airbag including all the brackets

cvicep3
12-19-2011, 03:09 PM
So the JDM emblem for sale on ebay is smaller? Can you just stick it on the OEM one? I was planning to buy that. I'm currently have the sticker on, but just want make it look more legit.

RHCP0801
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
you can't stick it on the oem emblem because it is an emblem itself

if you put the sticker on right, you will not be able to tell the difference between an actual emblem and a sticker

NateCox
12-19-2011, 04:02 PM
it was listed in eBay as a steering wheel emblem, NOT an exterior emblem.
Not taking the airbag off, don't feel like holding a BOMB in my hand. And you're right, I don't think there's really any way to get to the back now.

Planning to gently pushing the new emblem back into the open spots for the tabs. I think they'll just pop in, or either trimming the tabs off, and adhering it with double sided tape. The bag cover I think is designed to split around the emblem, or the whole assembly just pops up...either way, I think it'll not hit me at 200 mph if the bag goes off.

And to be sure I double checked the ruined part, got all the metal and tabs out, there's no piece of metal in there now, loose waiting to be expelled should the bag go off.

I'll post pics when the new part arrives, bought it today, so I'm hoping by Friday to have it.

NateCox
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
And I got a message from eBay a day after the part came in, saying they were delisting that from eBay...not sure why, but the emblem is smaller than the steering wheel emblem, same shape, but 95% the size.

makavelibranded
12-19-2011, 09:27 PM
The thing is it looks like the rear jdm h, do you have a shot of the back of it?

NateCox
12-20-2011, 06:07 AM
the back of the red one? It's just flat plastic with a sticky tape on the other side...very clearly (NOW THINKING OF IT) for an exterior use. I just thought the OEM H was a flast plastic piece too... but it's metal, and tabbedd into the steering wheel cover.

New part should arrive this week, until then, it's all black!

makavelibranded
12-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Ya now im very sure that red H is for the rear next time you go to your car check to see the size compaired to your rear stock rear H. If so now you only need the front red H haha.

junevtec
12-20-2011, 06:34 PM
sell me that red emblem with the huge fingerprint lmk 19140

junevtec
12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
put some double sided tape on the old one and push in the tabs it should click right in my man

NateCox
12-21-2011, 07:06 AM
fixed...I can post now

NateCox
12-21-2011, 07:09 AM

junevtec
12-21-2011, 07:56 AM
wanna sell me the h

NateCox
12-21-2011, 09:55 AM
can't post here, keep getting error messages....
junevtec, can't send you PM...

the red H isn't for exterior..it's not same size...it's actually smaller than the steering wheel emblem.

send me PM

NateCox
12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
think it's my work server...i'll post tonight...

NateCox
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
think it's my work server...i'll post tonight...

okay, at home, for some reason I can't post links or pics.... but I'll try again

Here's what I bought compared to actual exterior H emblem
http://fototime.com/51AC41DB91792FC/standard.jpg
way too small

here's what I bought on eBay today... $15 with shipping, figured WTF?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320816667684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

RHCP0801
12-21-2011, 07:32 PM
Stop please read first-> please confirm fitment before purchasing. We have included the exact measurements of the emblem that fits with this unit.

NateCox
12-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Is that off the site? I wasn't worried about fitment, it was so cheap I didn't mind either way. It was listed as a wheel emblem and site said it would fit all 2004 civic's...

no problem, new one will be here today.

junevtec
12-22-2011, 07:55 AM
post pics when u install my man

NateCox
12-22-2011, 08:11 AM
can do...will do CAREFULLY!!!!!!

RHCP0801
12-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Is that off the site? I wasn't worried about fitment, it was so cheap I didn't mind either way. It was listed as a wheel emblem and site said it would fit all 2004 civic's...

no problem, new one will be here today.

yea it's right off the link you posted lol

nmysiismyn
01-09-2012, 03:23 PM
WOW! WTF?
Mine's had a dent on it for YEARS- as are many others, for whatever reason..

I can't help but LOL when I read all of this when imagining the OP going Rambo on his steering wheel emblem without knowing what's on the other side, checking the sizing of what he bought or researching if it's even possible.

:tehe: Sorry bro!

I'm pretty sure that's an exterior emblem, but for an older model, like an Accord or something. The design is the classic H, which is much more boxy than the newer logo...
Really couldn't see how different it was from a modern logo/badge?

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/HONDA-EMBLEM-RED-AFTERMARKET-CAR-PART-ACURA-CIVIC-H-LOGO-BADGE-CHROME-BRAND-NEW-/00/s/MTIxNFg4NDE=/$(KGrHqNHJDME63ZMVB1cBO63(Z!mNQ~~60_1.JPG

Anyway, yeah.. Like someone said above, you're probably the first to ever actually remove the emblem. Honda doesn't have a part number for that badge. I think that's why nobody's bothered to ever try what you tried cuz messing it up would take buying a whole $1,000 (+/-) airbag to fix it...

You might be on to something here though...

I've had the airbag off (only a couple bolts/plugs), but I don't recall seeing any tabs or anything that will take the plastic off (I already had the red H sticker, so I wan't looking). I highly doubt it's that easy though, or replacement badges would be sold on CorSport, etc..

One thing though, for people with dented ones, like me, if an airbag's been deployed, the emblem might be easier to take off.. IDK..

I wouldn't worry about taking the airbag off. It's not so much a bomb when it's unplugged..

Now that I know these are removable, I'm gonna have to hit up Pic-A-Part to see if I can find one- assuming they aren't forced to throw them away cuz of chemicals or whatever... IDK..

Good luck man!
The dent in mine bothers the piss out of me. I couldn't imagine driving everyday with the thing ripped off. :mrolleyes:

si.hatch
01-09-2012, 06:11 PM
WOW! WTF?

The dent in mine bothers the piss out of me. I couldn't imagine driving everyday with the thing ripped off. :mrolleyes:

++++++1