PDA

View Full Version : Help me figure this out!

theMan_ny
12-19-2011, 06:58 PM
So yesterday after leaving a meet i started to hear a noise coming from the front passenger side (I think) So I pulled over to check and see if something was dragging from underneath nothing there. I checked the oil real quick and it was fine. So I decided to keep going on the freeway.. The car started smelling really funny. Like if something was burning. The noise can only be heard when I press on the gas. IDK what it could be. Im a complete noob.. I recorded the sound with my phone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb7Y-P0gNBc&feature=youtu.be

AttarixEp
12-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Possibly vacuum leak? Hard to hear even with headphone in. Hard throttle? Light throttle? Both?

theMan_ny
12-19-2011, 07:11 PM
If I'm just crusing, I don't hear anything. Once I press the gas a little more then its when I start to hear it. So I'm guessing med-hard throttle? When the car isn't moving and I press the gas, the noise isn't there..

AttarixEp
12-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Sounds like a vac leak. And a pretty good one at that. Check for loose/cracked hoses or gasket failures

theMan_ny
12-19-2011, 08:04 PM
Will do. Thanks. Can I still drive the car? It's my only car and I won't be able to look at it until possibly thursday at the lastest..

AttarixEp
12-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Yea you can drive it. Wont be any worse than half the cars being driven around every day. If you were to WOT the car, it would probably start to misfire if bad enough.

theMan_ny
12-19-2011, 08:13 PM
WOT as in floor it? I'll make sure that I don't. Thanks a lot, man. Ill try to get this solved as soon as tomorrow if I have time.

AKEP
12-20-2011, 07:01 AM
does it idle high? that would be a tell tale sign of vac leak. i can't hear anything in the video. sounds like a dragging noise? i'd check the idle pulley. look to see if the bolt is centered in relation to the edges of the pulley and look for metal shavings.

theMan_ny
12-20-2011, 10:55 AM
It idles normally. You can hear it at the end of the video the best.. Will do after I get out of work.

junevtec
12-20-2011, 06:30 PM
rattling heat shield from vibrations maybe

AttarixEp
12-20-2011, 07:04 PM
rattling heat shield from vibrations maybe

Very possible.

theMan_ny
12-20-2011, 08:22 PM
Alright, so I got home from work... The car was hot and I was impatient, so I decided to jack the car up and place a fan under to speed up the process.. So I inspected the hoses and what not.. Went under the car and looked at my piping, saw nothing wrong.. So I decided to check where the header and cat meet, and saw that it was hanging weird. There was my problem. One of the bolts came off.. :/ So I went to Honda and got the bolt with the spring and there was my solution. I'm just wondering how it came off?

junevtec
12-20-2011, 08:30 PM
booo yah i was right on the money lol

AttarixEp
12-20-2011, 08:45 PM

Damn! Good Call!

Alright, so I got home from work... The car was hot and I was impatient, so I decided to jack the car up and place a fan under to speed up the process.. So I inspected the hoses and what not.. Went under the car and looked at my piping, saw nothing wrong.. So I decided to check where the header and cat meet, and saw that it was hanging weird. There was my problem. One of the bolts came off.. :/ So I went to Honda and got the bolt with the spring and there was my solution. I'm just wondering how it came off?

Good thing it was something simple!

RHCP0801
12-20-2011, 08:53 PM

not really, his heat shield was not rattling. The spring bolt broke, heat shields don't use spring bolts. It could have happened from too much vibration to it just being old and rusty or you bottomed out once which caused it to crack and it finally broke loose

Blah1219
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Check your exhaust manifold. I snapped a spring bolt when I was in the process of pulling my engine out. The stud is stuck in the exhaust manifold. I don't know if I want to save it. It's just a dc shorty.

junevtec
12-20-2011, 09:00 PM
i was close though u gotta give me that lol i knew it was exhaust related anyways good thing u got it fix im happy for u dude and happy holidays guys

AttarixEp
12-20-2011, 09:02 PM

I had one snap after it was on a lift getting tires balanced.

junevtec
12-20-2011, 09:25 PM
i know they get rusted and snap off sometimes

theMan_ny
12-20-2011, 11:44 PM
Yeah thanks a lot guys. But now another problem has emerged (if there weren't enough for THIS WEEK already.. my passenger side door grip was broken by my gf, my passenger side mirror got loose and almost came off on the freeway, my driverside window doesn't go up anymore... the list goes on.. lol) but anyways back to the problem. My idle is kinda funky. The rpm's drop below 1k and the car shakes. Seems like it's about to stall but it doesn't.. :(

gamma6
12-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Now that kinda sounds like a vac leak; i have the same issue lol

theMan_ny
12-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Damn. Lol. Just when I thought everything was getting better.. I'm going to do that carburetor cleaner method to find the leak.

theMan_ny
12-21-2011, 07:34 PM
My check engine light just came... This suckssss..

AttarixEp
12-21-2011, 07:37 PM
My check engine light just came... This suckssss..

Pull the code. If it is a big enough vac leak, especially a big loss at the manifold, it will throw a code.

theMan_ny
12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
I have codes P0420 and P1298. My low beams don't work anymore since yesterday... But my high beams do..

nowhales
12-21-2011, 08:44 PM
I have codes P0420 and P1298. My low beams don't work anymore since yesterday... But my high beams do..

fuse? looks like you've got a good list of things to take care of this holiday, lol

AttarixEp
12-21-2011, 08:48 PM

P0420 is a generic converter code, anything from evap leak to o2 sensors to converter itself.
P1298 is Electric Load Detector code, but has been known to come on under an air/fuel metering failure.

The ELD could be causing the issue with the headlights. I don't think its a very expensive part.
Start checking the wiring on your 02 sensors, make sure they aren't frayed or exposed.

AKEP
12-22-2011, 12:59 AM
the 02 wires are really short.. hopefully you didnt pull it too far or twist it when/if you uninstalled them recently.

junevtec
12-22-2011, 07:53 AM
try reseting the computer do a idle relearn and see if it happens again sometime shit just fixes itself

theMan_ny
12-22-2011, 07:36 PM
fuse? looks like you've got a good list of things to take care of this holiday, lol
I checked all of the fuses and they all seemed good. None were blown or anything.

P0420 is a generic converter code, anything from evap leak to o2 sensors to converter itself.
P1298 is Electric Load Detector code, but has been known to come on under an air/fuel metering failure.

The ELD could be causing the issue with the headlights. I don't think its a very expensive part.
Start checking the wiring on your 02 sensors, make sure they aren't frayed or exposed.
I am going to check my O2 sensors tomorrow. And as far as the ELD goes, can I change that mysel if it is the problem? In my original post, I wrote that I smelled something burning. Could it be just a fryed wire? And if it is, where do I begin looking?

the 02 wires are really short.. hopefully you didnt pull it too far or twist it when/if you uninstalled them recently.
Yeah I did recently changed them out, but I don't recall pulling/twisting them. :/

try reseting the computer do a idle relearn and see if it happens again sometime shit just fixes itself
Will do.

theMan_ny
12-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I did some searches and found out that some early 2002 versions had a headlight recall. Will Honda still replace the parts affected?

AttarixEp
12-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Eld is in the fuse box under the hood. Simple fix.

theMan_ny
12-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Okay so I did the idle relearn and the CEL didn't turn back on but the idle is still funky. I am now sure that I have a vac leak somewhere.. I drove about 20 miles and it hasn't come back on. Should I still be worried?

theMan_ny
12-26-2011, 01:05 PM
Is a car suppose to still turn on even with a completely done clutch?