PDA

View Full Version : Possible Rack Solution?

G-MaC!
12-27-2011, 04:03 PM
I have been trying to fix a clunking/knocking in my rack forever and nothing is working. I ran out of ideas until I saw a thread on a uk forum. Apparently the rack slider wears out and can cause this sound. Has anyone tried it? It only costs like 20 bucks which is a hell of a lot better than a new rack. I hear it is a pain in the ass to get at, but still way better than a rebuild.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
in for more info on this

G-MaC!
12-29-2011, 04:54 PM
Seriously, nobody has anything to say? haha

Satinsilver03
12-29-2011, 06:55 PM
also in for more info on this.....mine clunks really bad when i first start the car and then the noise goes away when the car warms up

ImportCustomx
03-08-2012, 01:31 PM
lets bump this shit up becuase both of my ep's have this issue.

G-MaC!
03-08-2012, 02:29 PM
I replaced my slider and most bushings and it definitely made a difference. It is much tighter but a couple times it feels like there is still a hint of a clunk. But that is another issue I have.

Jukka
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
did you go in from the top or from the bottom to get at the slider? Did you also need to remove your outer tierods or could you losen off the inner tierods enough to move them out of the way?

G-MaC!
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
did you go in from the top or from the bottom to get at the slider? Did you also need to remove your outer tierods or could you losen off the inner tierods enough to move them out of the way?

I had somebody else do it because apparently it is a real pain in the ass. Read this
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?66801-Steering-Rack&p=684301&viewfull=1#post684301

Jukka
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Yea I read that before. I think im gonna give it a try. I'm gonna order a full boot kit (comes with replacement boot, bellow straps, washers, and lock washers) and the slider. I got priced out from my local dealer at about $70 worth of parts. I'm also gonna see if I can mock up some sort of heat sheild for the rack too or find some high-heat grease to grease the rack up with. Now I just need some time to get it done. I'll probably post a "how-to" with part #s when I decide to tackle this.

Powers
03-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Was it clunking going over bumps while driving down the road or just slow tight turns? I had a clunk that only happenned during a tight turn like parking but turned into a clunk going down the road. sounds like a bad balljoint but the balljoints struts and tie rod ends are all good.

Jukka
03-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Mine clunks and creeks like crazy. It creeks at low speed and medium speeds. I'm getting sick of it and I don't wanna do the cheap WD40 fix. I wanna fix it properly.

Powers
03-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Mine clunks and creeks like crazy. It creeks at low speed and medium speeds. I'm getting sick of it and I don't wanna do the cheap WD40 fix. I wanna fix it properly.

Agreed. And Id rather not be like my brother. Just because of a clunk he got a djm 5 inches up front and 6 inches in the back lowering kit with springs axle flip kit doestech shocks tubular control arms and polyurethane bushings in his ranger. Then it persisted so then came the retro fitting of a 03 cobras steering rack and moog tierod ends....no fix. Energey suspension master bushing kit and roush racing sway bars.........no fix. Wheel bearings. fixed.