PDA

View Full Version : Quick Midpipe Swap Question

jared07
12-27-2011, 07:21 PM
I have a buddy with a DC5 type s and from what I have read the midpipe is larger diameter and you can swap it but have to remove a small section section of the pipe. Just wondering if this is true and anyone is running it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jared

EggShellSi
12-27-2011, 07:42 PM
This is true. Unless you have a type-s header. Then you can use it without cutting.

Wrong section too bro...

jared07
12-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks sorry for wrong area.

Still have the damper?

56chevydan
12-30-2011, 03:37 PM
I have a buddy with a DC5 type s and from what I have read the midpipe is larger diameter and you can swap it but have to remove a small section section of the pipe. Just wondering if this is true and anyone is running it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Jared

Why don't you just take your car to a muffler shop and have them replace the midpipe with larger pipe? All they have to do is remove your oem midpipe, bend a new larger diameter alumanized pipe to the shape of the oem pipe and then remove the oem flanges, or use new flanges, and weld them to the new midpipe. You can keep your original resonator in the line if you want, or omit it when bending the new pipe.

revned3182
04-02-2012, 10:16 AM
ok... ssooo ive been going around looking for this mid pipe swap.
last post on here was on 2011.

so now stock to 2.25" mid-pipe.

with header and cai already installed.

will i lose or gain on this?

some say it'll sound a lot deeper/louder
some people say i will lose low end power.
i feel that my low end power is already low as it is. high power is pretty decent.

mitchlikesbikes
04-02-2012, 11:46 AM
ok... ssooo ive been going around looking for this mid pipe swap.
last post on here was on 2011.

so now stock to 2.25" mid-pipe.

with header and cai already installed.

will i lose or gain on this?

some say it'll sound a lot deeper/louder
some people say i will lose low end power.
i feel that my low end power is already low as it is. high power is pretty decent.

depending on what you do with the resonator it could be quite a bit louder. if you're just doing a straight 2.25 it will be decently louder, particularly above 3.5k

the exhaust will probably feel a little better, and the car will feel like it is breathing better, but you shouldn't really notice any significant loss in low end or gain in high end.

revned3182
04-03-2012, 05:11 AM
so the swap is basically for a better feel.

revned3182
04-03-2012, 05:12 AM
im jus worried that its going to feel like its gonna bogged down

mitchlikesbikes
04-03-2012, 09:48 AM
dude this is a k20a3. it's gonna bog down and be slow regardless of piping size haha.

but a .5" change in midpipe diameter isn't gonna affect performance much.