PDA

View Full Version : OMG Awesome, why doesnt Honda do this?

cyllarus
12-30-2011, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine is buying a MK 5 GTI with the 2.0T motor and I wanted to do a little research on what the car can do.

I ran across this on one of the GTI forums:
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/golfgoodies/mk5golfengine.pdf

Its a highlevel tech document that describes how the 2.0T motor works. For an engine geek like me this is just frikin awesome!

Back in my 3si (gto/stealth) days we also had a tech document that described the workings of the 6G73 motor, went so far as to detail the injector pulsing during cold-start.

Do we know of / have a tech document like this on the K series motors?

Regarding the actual 2.0T VW motor, if you read the document you'll see that the motor is just retartedly complex (2 harmonicly damped balance shafts, 2 oil pumps, elliptical cam chain gears, auxiliary coolant pump, multiple boost control solenoids,flapper valves in intake manifold )

all this for 200 HP? (260 in the R32) K20 is doing this with just Vtech and variable cam advancement, which is much simpler IMO.

Just a crapload of stuff to break in my eyes.

civictype_r04
12-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Honda knows how to make power with the least amount of problems. Lol

Sent from my HTC THUNDERBOLT 4G LTE using tapatalk

mitchlikesbikes
12-31-2011, 01:04 AM
honda engine = simple and makes great power reliably.
volkswagen = overengineered and makes same power much less reliably. also less cost effective

nowhales
12-31-2011, 01:22 AM
one word, VTEC. sorta

Red_liner740
12-31-2011, 11:42 AM
i've never been impressed with the power output or delivery curve of any of the VW engines.
2.0L and 200hp and its turbocharged 5v per cylinder, DOHC....massively over-engineered and complicated...just how VW likes it. i remember when the 1.8T first came out....150hp...lol WUT!?!

when a company keeps pumping out the same 2.0L SOHC 8V 115hp motor from the early 90's all the way up to 2011, with only slight changes to EFI and intake manifolds, you know its a lazy company. I had one VW and it was nothing but electrical gremlins and constantly fixing it....

apexracing
01-02-2012, 09:36 PM
i've never been impressed with the power output or delivery curve of any of the VW engines.
2.0L and 200hp and its turbocharged 5v per cylinder, DOHC....massively over-engineered and complicated...just how VW likes it. i remember when the 1.8T first came out....150hp...lol WUT!?!

when a company keeps pumping out the same 2.0L SOHC 8V 115hp motor from the early 90's all the way up to 2011, with only slight changes to EFI and intake manifolds, you know its a lazy company. I had one VW and it was nothing but electrical gremlins and constantly fixing it....

Then i suppose honda is lazy for carrying on for years with the d15/d16

RhINoX^
01-02-2012, 10:50 PM
When people are buying it .. why change anything ?

Red_liner740
01-03-2012, 09:22 AM
when Honda also carries and develops the b-series, h-series, in 2000's develops the k-series and the R-series, which all steped the game up immensely, i dont see a problem with them continuing the d-series. Not to mention the fact that the d-series, although not performance based was a very good design that didnt leave a lot on the table in terms of efficiency and design.

When a company pumps out a 2L which puts out a pathetic 115hp in its "developed" form, and then for the late 2000s releases a 2.5L 5cyl engine that puts out....drumroll please... 150hp, what does that tell me?

Thing is, VW can develop great engines...look at the twincharged 1.4L that europe gets...its the N/A market that gets the pathetic leftovers.

Then i suppose honda is lazy for carrying on for years with the d15/d16

cyllarus
01-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Back to the tech document.. does honda have anything like this?

BeaterEP
01-10-2012, 07:58 AM
Back to the tech document.. does honda have anything like this?

I'm sure they do, somewhere. But nobody pays any attention to it, since the simplicity of a Honda engine means the entire document is only a page and a half! :mbiggrin:
"Elliptical toothed belt sprocket"? srsly?

Flipping through that, it's no wonder half the VWs I see on the road sound and act like they're running for shit. Damn...it must suck to spend that much on a car and then spend 80% of your time with it in the garage trying to figure out why it's barely running.