PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Radiator Duct on USDM Bumper

Danielsle
01-01-2012, 07:08 PM
So I was thinking, I know the JDM and USDM bumpers and rebars are different, but I'd like to see if I can cut my USDM bumper to fit the mugen radiator duct too. Has anyone thought or tried this yet? Is there anything in the way if I try to do it? I dont want to cut my bumper and find out that I cant use it anymore and have a cut up bumper...

usedep3
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
not happening unless you plan on doing a lot of custom work. in the end, the duct would be hanging onto nothing. not worth the effort imo

Danielsle
01-01-2012, 08:41 PM
not happening unless you plan on doing a lot of custom work. in the end, the duct would be hanging onto nothing. not worth the effort imo

Ah... seems like everything custom I want to do, is too much work or unable to be done, haha. But thanks for the input. Honestly, I dont mind if the custom duct works as great as the original, I like the look of it too. As long as it works the tiniest bit, I think I'll probably try it. Might as well do it now while my car is in the shop getting repainted.

i11 b3havior
01-02-2012, 08:46 AM
let me know how this turns out, i have been thinking about this for sometime now !

tlikethedrink
01-02-2012, 10:36 AM
I've thought of this too.

What I was thinking was the same design using sheet metal to make the actual duct. Shouldn't be hard once you make the template. The ball-sy part would be cutting your bumper!

POOPTOOTH
01-02-2012, 10:45 AM

This. The curvature of the US bumper and the flatness of the Mugen duct would make it very difficult to make happen and look good. In the end is it worth risking your bumper + a $500 Mugen Duct on 'trial and error'? At that rate, just get a JDM/EDM bumper and make life easier.

Kerby
01-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Sell me that mugen duct. pretty please??

Draw7Seven
01-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Sell me that mugen duct. pretty please??

Before or after he cuts it up?

Danielsle
01-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Before or after he cuts it up?

Haha! I actually got a really good deal. Some guy in Houston was selling when I was there for visit. I dont have a JDM/EDM bumper but it was too good to pass up. I guess he didnt know how much it costs now that its discontinued. Is there a replica version I can try first before throwing on the actual Mugen one on?

tlikethedrink
01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Haha! I actually got a really good deal. Some guy in Houston was selling when I was there for visit. I dont have a JDM/EDM bumper but it was too good to pass up. I guess he didnt know how much it costs now that its discontinued. Is there a replica version I can try first before throwing on the actual Mugen one on?

If you have the authentic vent i would put the extra coin towards the authentic bumper.

I on the other hand was looking to make a euro plate sized duct with a similar design...

Draw7Seven
01-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Yeah take advantage of the fact that you got a great price on one and just save up for a JDM bumper IMO. That thing is a commodity.

usedep3
01-02-2012, 11:57 PM
If you have the authentic vent i would put the extra coin towards the authentic bumper.

I on the other hand was looking to make a euro plate sized duct with a similar design...

if its authentic, you should just wait for a ctr bumper. were you able to get a complete radiator duct kit?

Danielsle
01-03-2012, 12:10 AM
if its authentic, you should just wait for a ctr bumper. were you able to get a complete radiator duct kit?

Unfortunately, no. It's just the duct. The piece that attaches to the rebar isn't there. I guess thats why he gave it to me for $100.

Behemoth
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
very nice

Draw7Seven
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
I'd rather fab the attachment than fab the duct or the bumper, imo

usedep3
01-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Unfortunately, no. It's just the duct. The piece that attaches to the rebar isn't there. I guess thats why he gave it to me for $100.

wow, 100?? that's awesome. the last offer i got on my duct was $660

Andrew
01-06-2012, 02:26 AM
might as well throw some money down for one of those SSR replica bumpers and throw on your duct there

Danielsle
01-06-2012, 04:23 AM
might as well throw some money down for one of those SSR replica bumpers and throw on your duct there

I'd like to get the facelift 04-05 in the future.