PDA

View Full Version : clutch issue

MD Ripper
01-05-2012, 11:41 PM
The other night we received a small amount of snow i decided to go mess around i little bit. After spinning around for a little bit i started to smell clutch A LOT(wasn't riding the clutch). So i stopped. Later that night after i let my car sit for a while i gave it a little pull and put some load on the clutch( competition stage 2 on a bolt on k24a1) to see if it was slipping and it still feels like it grabs hard and bites like it always has. But now the engagement point of my pedal is allllll the way at the top, like when i let the clutch out there isn't even an inch of space between engaged and disengaged. How does that change like that? Then tonight after my car has been sitting for a couple hours i went to drive it and the car felt like i had the emergency brake on until i started moving, very sluggish. The fluid is full.

KaeDu
01-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Alright lets get some other information out of the way.

Is there a difference from cold start vs. driving at operating temperature and driving for a bit?

How many miles on the motor?

How many miles on the clutch?

Was the clutch broken in when installed?
If this is yours Stage 2 - 2100 http://www.competitionclutch.com/products/index.php?id=300, did you do the 300 mile break-in or the 500 mile break-in?
Was there any audible sounds from the motor or transmission?

Who installed the clutch?

If you put your vehicle on a lift or crawl under and there is a dust shield on the transmission I believe. It will be a little black (unless rusted or painted) cover on the bottom of the housing that has 1-2 bolts I believe. Remove it and see if there is an excess of dust, material or if there are any foreign objects.

I have heard of the feel changing.

Post back with results. This is what I would do at first response. Hope this helps.

AKEP
01-06-2012, 12:32 AM
well it is cold. warm it up and see how it feels

MD Ripper
01-06-2012, 12:33 AM
yeah that's the clutch i have. Installed professionally about 25,000 miles ago by a shop. I did the 500 mile brake in. not sure about the dust but i didn't hear any noises. i have about 100,000 on the motor. Cold vs warm yeah there is a small difference, once its warmer the pedal just gets firmer but the engagement doesn't change really. It normally caught fairly high but never this high.

MD Ripper
01-06-2012, 12:35 AM
i normally don't do burn outs or anything like that. i left tire marks so i know the wheels were spinning. i dont abuse this clutch at all, i dont launch the car or race at all really.

KaeDu
01-06-2012, 12:37 AM
When you were messing around were you spinning the tires and dumping the clutch alot?

Were you whipping 360's?

Where you performing FF drift?

Were you working the e-brake?

The first quesiton was serious, the others were in curiosity.

MD Ripper
01-06-2012, 12:41 AM
ehhhh mostly just pulling the e-brake. dumped the clutch once or twice thats it. it didnt take much to get the wheels to spin.

KaeDu
01-06-2012, 12:51 AM
Well, I think that the clutch is probably worn a bit but you are not going to know without looking. As long as you can drive it.

Is it slipping, trouble engaging at all?

MD Ripper
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
i dunno, its not slipping at all. grabs fine and everything. the engagement is just worrying me, i didn't think the engagement changed like that. I'm kinda worried that its not disengaging all the way now and i'm going to start roasting it. Haven't smelled anything since though. Kinda surprised the clutch stunk up like that from doing a burnout on some snow/wet asphalt.

AKEP
01-06-2012, 01:10 AM
maybe the slave cylinder settled in the lever after all this time, just needed a push?