PDA

View Full Version : Need advice/tips from more experienced members!

StockTexasEP3
01-11-2012, 03:44 AM
So this morning I'm disassembling my 2003 ep3 suspension in order to put on skunk2 lowering springs and energy suspension control arm bushings front and back. I have 100k miles and compliance bushings are on the way out.

I've read through DIY's for both things and have a pretty good idea of what all needs to go on. I'm also budgeting 3 days (out of school right now and have off from work) in order to complete the job. I have a buddy to help for at least today.

I have most all the tools I'll need, and am getting the ball joint separator 07mac-sl00200 from auto zone this morning.

Theres a few things I'm worried about though. Mainly, it what ways will the install be different now that I'm taking the LCA off with the strut. On the spring DIY's they said be extra careful about the half shaft popping out. Will this be more likely with the LCA removed? Also I don't want to tear the ball joint when I'm removing it. My plan basically is I'm planning on having everything disassembled today and probably having the struts + springs back on by tonight. Then tomorrow morning I can get a ride to a shop to have the bushings pressed out.

I have the 1000 page shop manual on my iPad and have read the DIY's so I have a good amount of info, yet I'm still a bit nervous of this daunting task, as my DIY knowledge consists of test pipe + header, intake, and rear sway bar install. Nothing of this magnitude. So basically, how does this plan seem to y'all? Am I thinking in the right direction? Any links or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.:mbiggrin:

StockTexasEP3
01-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Bump for help you lazy fucks

.colin
01-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Just plan for a lot to go wrong. I'd also be worried about removing the rear shocks - the bolt that pins it through to the trailing arm tends to seize up and it can be a huge pain to remove. On both my suspension installs the bolt took a few hours to remove.

Ba82Ep3
01-11-2012, 10:55 AM
All suspension bolts should be soaked with PB blaster a few days before working on them. If you can do it more than once then its better for you. On the day of work spray the cheap can of engine bay degreaser on those areas and hit it with water. Spray with compressed air to dry and you have a much better chance at getting everything to break free and less chance of looking like a grease monkey in the process.

For the bolt that goes through the rear trailing arm/strut... place a block of wood over the head and whack it with a 2.5lb maul a few times. Have a friend stand on the rear hub to press down on the entire assembly to relieve tension, the bolt should come right out after that. THEN loosen the top strut bolts to take it out of you wish.

If you are worried about the CV axles... just take them out (remove the passenger side axle WITH the halfshaft... its heavy but a lot easier because it just slides out of the trans, no need to separate the axle from the halfshaft and possibly do damage. Three bolts hold the halfshaft to the block Have a friend support the CV axle while you pull those bolts... and the both of you slide it out of the trans together). You dont need to worry about the trans fluid... just make sure nothing gets in the axle seal holes

StockTexasEP3
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Hey I appreciate the help a ton. Some stuff has gone already like having the wrong ball-joint puller for the top ball joint connected to the steering mechanism. Whacking wouldnt get it out and the fork from autozone tore the boot so will be getting a new one of those. There's also balljoint on the bottom as well I believe, connecting to the control arms. Should I replace those too, since I'm at 100k miles?

Also, I have no idea how to do this:

"If you are worried about the CV axles... just take them out (remove the passenger side axle WITH the halfshaft... its heavy but a lot easier because it just slides out of the trans, no need to separate the axle from the halfshaft and possibly do damage. Three bolts hold the halfshaft to the block Have a friend support the CV axle while you pull those bolts... and the both of you slide it out of the trans together). You dont need to worry about the trans fluid... just make sure nothing gets in the axle seal holes"

Any help would be appreciated.. If there's a certain page to look at in the manual thatd be helpful!

StockTexasEP3
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Also, do I have to take the rear seats out to get to the rear struts from the top?

Hasbro
01-11-2012, 03:14 PM
If you have a laptop, after doing a search of useful how tos, you can attach them to your favorites bar. Then you can quickly reference them while in the garage.

mitchlikesbikes
01-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Also, do I have to take the rear seats out to get to the rear struts from the top?

this is a no. just have to remove the plastic covers

StockTexasEP3
01-11-2012, 04:46 PM
this is a no. just have to remove the plastic covers

Thanks. I actually figured that out after some head scratching.

So day 1 was a decent success. Got both rear strut / shocks off and loosened some bolts for the the thing that needs to get taken off for the bushings. (what's it called?) Also got new 22 mm bushings for the rear sway which will fit better than the 20 mm ones I jamming cut down with an exacto knife when I first installed it.

I need to get the RIGHT ball joint remover, after being given already two different wrong versions. I think the one tool that I'll need will take care of the top and bottom ball joints. Will need a new ball joint on the passenger side because the stupid fork I used fucked em up. And the damn thing STILL won't come out. Whacked that sonofabitch fifty times already. Then I can take the front and rear arms to a shop to have the bushings pressed in and out.

Also, the rear strut may or may not be blown. Not fluid, but when I press down on it, it is sloooooow to come back up.
Is this a good or bad sign?

All in all I'd say the day was a success. Turning tools goes a lot faster when you've gotta good buddy there and good conversation. Who's cool getting reimbursed with lunch at McDonalds. Feel free to critique any of the above thought process, because to be honest, I'm still kinda confused.
Thanks.

fdnyjon
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
yeah pb blaster helped me alot when i swapped out my suspension