PDA

View Full Version : Cluster lighting problems... Please help

d0rad0EP3
01-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I have a 2002 Si and after improper radio installation half of the cluster and climate controls won't light up. All fuse where checked and all cluster bulbs where replaced and still won't light up... Please help

Thanks guys

xx_civic_si_xx
01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
same here bro

d0rad0EP3
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Seems to be a pretty common issue on the ep3z... Well let's have hope on a solution to this matter... I'll mess around with the cluster and wiring this weekend... I'll let you know

Danielsle
01-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Seems to be a pretty common issue on the ep3z... Well let's have hope on a solution to this matter... I'll mess around with the cluster and wiring this weekend... I'll let you know

Yeah mines been like that for months now. I'm not sure if you can just replace the bulbs or I read you have to solder something in the back of the cluster. So I just got myself a new cluster. Hopefully when I install it wont blow too.

xx_civic_si_xx
01-12-2012, 12:25 AM
yeah my rpm gauges does not light up and only half of the speedometer lights up

d0rad0EP3
01-12-2012, 08:42 AM
Yeah mines been like that for months now. I'm not sure if you can just replace the bulbs or I read you have to solder something in the back of the cluster. So I just got myself a new cluster. Hopefully when I install it wont blow too.

oh i see... let us know if the problem gets solved with the new cluster...

ohdamngetit
01-12-2012, 10:21 AM
My buddy installed an eBay foglight kit and ran into this. Swapping out the cluster did fix his problem.

I recall something about a burnt trace on the back of the cluster but I can't find it through search. GL

qnzjay69
01-13-2012, 12:34 AM
Theres a copper wire on the inside of ur cluster, it burns out, all u have to do is open the cluster and resodder a copper line back then ur done, i had the problem and seen the burnt line, have no probs since i fixed it

ohdamngetit
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Do you have pics, by any chance? Think it would be a good DIY.

d0rad0EP3
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Theres a copper wire on the inside of ur cluster, it burns out, all u have to do is open the cluster and resodder a copper line back then ur done, i had the problem and seen the burnt line, have no probs since i fixed it

Yes please pics will be a big help... Because I tried opening it and the gages needle don't seem to come out very easy... And I'm afraid to brake the needles...

Thanks

d0rad0EP3
01-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Guys I got my cluster fixed... Just like @qnzjay69 said theres A copper line on the cluster motherboard that was burn... It's quiete a bit hard to solder but not impossible. What I did was I got a hairline copper wire and solder It from side to side and that's it... I'll post pics later when I get home... If your cluster was fried originally due to an improper radio installation may sure you fix that firts before you do the soldering on the cluster line that it's burn... The problem that I had with my radio that fried the cluster was that there's two orange cables on the plug going to the radio and i connected Thoes two orange cables with the orange cable on the radio... Witch I only needed only one of Thoes two connected and I connected the three of them. The orange cable that says illumination you don't need Ty just tape it up and leave it aside.

d0rad0EP3
01-16-2012, 08:40 AM
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/mano31/photo1.jpg

First Image showing burned copper line

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/mano31/photo4.jpg

close up view of burned copper line

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/mano31/photo2.jpg

Showing where copper line broke

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/mano31/photo5.jpg

Hairline copper wire I solder from side to side

And may sure you guys correct the problem that caused the cluster to get fried before you install it back in the car.

Hope this Helps... Thanks all...

d0rad0EP3
01-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Have you guys tried fixing your cluster yet ?

jay_si
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
When you did the soldering, did you solder up the gaps or re did the burnt copper as well? Will a tin/lead solder work for this?

ohdamngetit
02-27-2012, 08:34 AM
d0rad0EP3, thanks for the update! I just saw this now. I'll have to do this tonight! Thanks again!

TTownEP
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
I did the eBay fog light install and burned the track on my cluster too. I had a friend (who is better at soldering) fix it for me the same way. I also had to replace a few bulbs, maybe 4-5, and have had no problems since.

d0rad0EP3
02-29-2012, 01:04 PM
When you did the soldering, did you solder up the gaps or re did the burnt copper as well? Will a tin/lead solder work for this?

I got me a hairline copper wire and solder it from side to side and also solder the gap...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk