PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth OBD2 Scanner and Android Torque app - Review

ImportCustomx
01-12-2012, 09:39 AM
Hey Guys, So i am going to start reviewing stuff i feel that is relevant to us EP3 owners and car enthusiasts alike.

I am just the average nitwit, built a few crx's, love Motorcycles..i am a car nut. I am always looking for cool gadgets and stuff that can be useuful.

I wanted this device so i could monitor everything that was going through the ECU and so i could check CELs (check engine light)

A few weeks back i had started looking for a bluetooth OBD2 Reader. For those of you that dont know, its an OBD2 Reader without the cord. Instead of having a cord you have your bluetooth computer,phone,tablet, or other compatible blue tooth devices.

I went with a device i purhased off ebay.
http://image.dhgate.com/albu_215473804_00/1.0x0.jpg
ELM327 v1.5 Bluetooth Mini Small Interface OBD2 Scanner Adapter TORQUE ANDROID

Once i bought the OBD2 Reader, i bought an App on the android market called "Torque".
http://cdn2.staztic.com/screenshots/torque-146-1.jpg

It took me about 30 minutes to get mine to pair up right and to figure out how to use it right. OBD2 didnt come with directions, and the torque app didnt have a real how to on how to get the 2 talking.

I found out that (with my devices) i had to do the following.

1- plug in the OBD2 Reader to your car
2- open the torque app on your device
3- Turn the bluetooth on, on your device
4- If you already have paired with the device unpair and remove from list.
5- Now in your bluetooth settings on your device, search for the obd2 device
6-now pair with it. notice that in your task bar of your device the obd torque logo is either tunring yellow or green meaning its communicating.

SIDE NOTE
Before doing any of this i actually setup the Torque app. I entered the cars weight etc. Its called Making a profile. If you have already paired the reader to your device then under the profile make sure you have selected the paired obd2 reader as your reader. that helps. eventually i am going to make a video on this. Becuase i was left in the friggan dark.

Here is a screen shot of the app working
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405467_10150692801812926_501477925_12141872_194525 2525_n.jpg
Here is a shot of the app working on my samsung galaxy tab :D
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6682486115_013b332075_b.jpg
It was nerdy being able to have all that stuff but it's cool being able to monitor the stuff your ecu is monitoring.

TRACK GUYS:
You can download a few things from the developer of torque like take a video while overlaying gauges...its friggan sweet.
also it uses gps to track your driving speed etc and shows you on google maps.

its really fun app. i cant wait till the spring time when i can really use it.

You can do alot with it too. the real time monitoring has 7 screen that you can slide up and down etc.

SkareKrow
01-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Interesting sounds like I might be getting a few new toys:smile:

MugenReplica
01-12-2012, 10:34 AM
WOW! Awesome post! I gotta replace my Brockway with this!

Here's another little interesting App. I downloaded it for the track day at Watkins I'm going to do this year....

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.trackaroo.apps.mobile.android.Track master&hl=en

https://lh4.ggpht.com/yO0OebBH1uCVVK4gT_mYTx8wk6B4ods4Ox1HrcBeNnfm24hd19 9trtFrIi6EBBNFTNk=w705

ImportCustomx
01-12-2012, 10:43 AM
It is indeed pretty dam spiffy. I love it so far, works real well.

I was going to get a Greddy Informeter..but the 300-800 dollars to get everything was just killing me.
this definetly fit the bill plus i can diag other peoples car and get some moonlight'n done.

Ba82Ep3
01-12-2012, 10:49 AM
This is actually pretty cool. Im holding out for Hondata to make a KManager app for Android. Im all over that...

ImportCustomx
01-12-2012, 11:12 AM
That would be friggan awesome. I would get that for my other ep.

I wonder how they would do it... Hondata does need something a little more current to help stay on top. i feel like they are falling behind a little. Anyone else feel that way? Havnt seen anything crazy from them.

MugenReplica
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
That would be friggan awesome. I would get that for my other ep.

I wonder how they would do it... Hondata does need something a little more current to help stay on top. i feel like they are falling behind a little. Anyone else feel that way? Havnt seen anything crazy from them.

They are falling behind a bit. You think with their resources they'd be on top to new products and troubleshooting issues. Hell, I had to manual install my Kmanager drivers on my 64 bit Windows 7 because they haven't solved that issue yet.

ImportCustomx
01-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I'm glad im not the only one.

They should have developed something for smart phones/tablets or something. Or at least got everything working comfortably. Dont get me wrong, their stuff is awesome. i just feel like they are getting left behind and old. They need to reinvent themselves somehow.

cyllarus
01-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Holey !@#@!3 that is awesome. I've been aware of Torque for a while but have been dragging my feet in getting it since im waiting for a true android powered radio head unit to come out.

Couple of questions:
How much was your BT OBD2 unit?
How the heck do you have your galaxy mounted in your car, that is awesome.
what are the most useful gauges you can bring up on torque, in your opinion?

BTW, the first android powered radio is out .. look up the "asteroid".

civictype_r04
01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
That is awesome!!!

RHCP0801
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
They are falling behind a bit. You think with their resources they'd be on top to new products and troubleshooting issues. Hell, I had to manual install my Kmanager drivers on my 64 bit Windows 7 because they haven't solved that issue yet.

I had no problems installing kmanager on my computer with windows 7 64 bit

BeaterEP
01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Hondata is dropping off because they threaten suit any time someone tries to compete with them.
Don't get me wrong, I think their products are pretty awesome, but lack of competition leads to stagnation.
As prevalent as Macs are these days, and they still dont have support?...

si.hatch
01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
looks like this one? looks to be a pretty good deal:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-OBD-2-Mini-Adapter-Fit-Torque-/300581277083?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fc0a4d9b

ImportCustomx
01-18-2012, 08:04 AM
i got that same one for around 25$ shipped..but yup that one is a good deal!

bizzle
01-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Pretty fancy. I use a ScanGauge II myself which is pretty cool but not nearly as fancy and pretty looking.

ttttrigg3r
05-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I just got this and I can't seem to get the HP thing to work right. OP what did you put down for your vehicle profile?

HFPcivicSI
05-10-2012, 11:29 AM
I have a scan gauge 2 in my tC and one in my SI. Its worth it just to be able to pull codes RIGHT AWAY and make sure errything is running smooth.
Bizzle - where is yours mounted in your SI? Mine is double side velco'd to the top of the steering surround. (IE: right behind the steering wheel).

Pronto
05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Pretty cool + really cheap= just bought one!

ep3n3wp
05-10-2012, 07:45 PM
I've had this app since it first came out and always used the Ebay Bluetooth dongles but they stopped working... Was thinking of getting the Plx Kiwi Bluetooth dongle(99 bucks) the Dev said it's the best one to use with the app and supposedly a couple more functions....
Was wondering if any one is using the Plx Kiwi Bluetooth?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Kerby
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
You guys think with would work with say the Pioneer AppRadio2?

rd02SiR
05-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I used a buddy's Bluetooth scanner. It's called GoPoint and it works phenomenally. It shows real time data and looks up the error codes specific to that car. Very very awesome product. It costs about $80-100.

Again it's called GoPoint.

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk