PDA

View Full Version : How loud are test pipes with stock exhaust?

b_ron
01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm needing a temp solution to my bad cat. Test pipes seem like a cheaper way to go until I have to smog the car.
But I don't want the car to be much louder than the stock exhaust system.
How much louder will test pipes be with the stock exhaust? Is there a way to make it quieter?

Thanks

mitchlikesbikes
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
with the stock midpipe and muffler i can't imagine it would be too much louder. maybe a bit raspier i guess. definitely interested to hear though, i may go test pipe + my megan midpipe someday so i'm curious as well.

MugenReplica
01-14-2012, 08:13 AM
Here's a vid of a test pipe and a 2.25" midpipe on a stock muffler. You're setup should be a little quieter than this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MT-nlI7k30

b_ron
01-14-2012, 10:49 AM
ugh alright. i guess i'm just going to keep my cat on then.
thanks for the replies

Twisted-X
01-14-2012, 06:29 PM
I can't speak for the EP as I've got a race header and exhaust, but on the cd5 I've put a "test pipe" with the stock cat back and only noticed a marginal increase in volume. I wonder if the bigger midpipe in the video caused the raspiness?

mitchlikesbikes
01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
I can't speak for the EP as I've got a race header and exhaust, but on the cd5 I've put a "test pipe" with the stock cat back and only noticed a marginal increase in volume. I wonder if the bigger midpipe in the video caused the raspiness?

i would guess it was probably a combination of both. the cat delete shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.

StockTexasEP3
01-20-2012, 08:24 PM
It's not very loud at all