PDA

View Full Version : OEM steering wheel converted to a quick release setup?

LILR1CH
01-14-2012, 06:42 AM
I am wondering if there is any way to make your OEM steering wheel into a quick release. Like aftermarket steering wheels but using your OEM wheel. I like the look of my wheel but would like it to become detachable. Any way the quick release can attach to the wheel? Has anyone tried this? I want to leave my airbag on so the wheel still looks presentable. Let me know what you guys think or what you know. Thanks

tinman5
01-14-2012, 06:58 AM
Because of the airbag, i can't think of a a way to do this without potentially affecting the performance of the srs system, and secondly securely mounting the wheel securely to the hub.
I was considering installing a Momo Competition myself, but i really like the factory wheel's look and feel. That and i have yet to discover what the resistance is on the airbag to eliminate the srs light/codes associated with disconnecting any of the bags.

civictype_r04
01-14-2012, 09:20 AM
No you can't just get an aftermarket wheel.

LILR1CH
01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Because of the airbag, i can't think of a a way to do this without potentially affecting the performance of the srs system, and secondly securely mounting the wheel securely to the hub.
I was considering installing a Momo Competition myself, but i really like the factory wheel's look and feel. That and i have yet to discover what the resistance is on the airbag to eliminate the srs light/codes associated with disconnecting any of the bags.

i dont mind disconnecting the airbag. i just want to be able to take off the wheel using quick release setup

AKAahlecks
01-14-2012, 11:12 PM
i dont mind disconnecting the airbag. i just want to be able to take off the wheel using quick release setup

Yeah, I was thinking you could remove the airbag and leave the wheel. Possibly making something to cover that gap. If I'm not mistaken, I think someone on here is auto crossing their EP with the stock wheel with the airbag removed. It would be nice.

LILR1CH
01-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Yeah, I was thinking you could remove the airbag and leave the wheel. Possibly making something to cover that gap. If I'm not mistaken, I think someone on here is auto crossing their EP with the stock wheel with the airbag removed. It would be nice.

I think possibly you can leave the airbag on so it still has the Honda emblem on it. just disconecting the wire for the SRS or either snipping it. Has anyone tried this or has a DIY?

civictype_r04
01-15-2012, 06:50 AM
No way are you going to get a quick relese to bolt to the stock wheel!!!

AKEP
01-15-2012, 09:20 AM
lol. the stock wheel connects via spline. there are no quick release adapters that fit spline wheels. need aftermarket 6(+) bolt wheels.

civictype_r04
01-15-2012, 09:24 AM
lol. the stock wheel connects via spline. there are no quick release adapters that fit spline wheels. need aftermarket 6(+) bolt wheels.

Yup!