PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fitment issues

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 10:44 AM
I cannot get my apex WSII muffler to bolt up to the RSX Type-S mid pipe. The mid pipe is bolted to my Buddy Club race header. I have always read that the type-s mid pipe would bolt right in...

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/Project%20Racheal/image-6.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee411/DrunkenYakinc/Project%20Racheal/imagecopy-2.jpg

Obviously thats not going to go together... So what gives? Anybody else have the same issue?

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 11:09 AM
what midpipe did you have before mated to the apexi?

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 11:45 AM
I haven't had anything bolted to the WSII, the entire exhaust system is new.

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Is the midpipe an apexi ws2 as well?

Also, add pics of your midpipe/header connection

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
I'll take pics of the header connection when I make it back out to the garage.

The mid pipe is an OEM pipe from a Honda dealership.

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
I'll take pics of the header connection when I make it back out to the garage.

The mid pipe is an OEM pipe from a Honda dealership.

I'm thinking you're trying to put an RSX midpipe on an EP3 header...

Edit: You bought a brand new rsx-s midpipe from the dealership?!?!

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
No, Buddy club don't make a race header that is EP3 specific that I am aware of. The problem its that the WSII muffler section from a complete WSII cat back system is shorter then the stock EP3 muffler section. The stock EP3 muffler section bolted up just fine to the Type-S mid pipe.

And yes, I bought a brand new Type-S mid pipe, however I mistyped when I said dealership, I got it from hondapartsunlimited.com

Now I need to do some research into verifying that the muffler only version of the WSII will fit.

Manny Kid 15
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Buddy club does make a ep spec cause I use to have one before I got my kiddracing race header

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Buddy club does make a ep spec cause I use to have one before I got my kiddracing race header

Have a link? I've never seen an EP3 specific Buddy Club race header.

Manny Kid 15
01-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Have a link? I've never seen an EP3 specific Buddy Club race header.

Just checked eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buddy-Club-Racing-Spec-Header-K20-K24-RSX-DC5-Civic-EP3-/220804022297?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item3368f20019#ht_3335wt_902

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Nice find Manny! That straight TP section is definitely EP spec.

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Just checked eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buddy-Club-Racing-Spec-Header-K20-K24-RSX-DC5-Civic-EP3-/220804022297?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item3368f20019#ht_3335wt_902

Thats an RSX header... and regardless that picture isn't of a Header for EP3 or RSX, the flange only has 2 bolts while ours have 3 bolts.

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Slow your roll mister! The header you are looking at YES is universal between ep3 and dc5s. HOWEVER!!!!! The last picture they have posted is of the test-pipe section of the header. THAT PIECE, which HAS 3 BOLTS, is definitely ep3 spec.

Here: Look in the last picture.
http://accurate-lds.com/Ebay/BuddyClub/bc-headerKseries.jpg

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 01:55 PM
You are correct, it does have three bolts, however that would not connect to our EP3s in any way shape or form. the reason being is that the only 2 bolt flanges are from the header -> cat, and then the back of the mid pipe -> muffler. for that to work from a header with two flange bolts to a mid pipe with 3 bolts the hanger would have to be reversed. And besides even in the title it says RSX/DC5...

Oh, and props for "Slow your roll mister". That made me laugh! :cool:

Manny Kid 15
01-21-2012, 02:04 PM
its says K20 K24 ep3 RSX so im guessing it will fit the EP3 like i said i had this on my EP before and never had any issues

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 02:10 PM
What picture are you looking at? The hanger(and 2 bolt side) goes towards the front of the car connected to the header, the hangers will hang where the normal cat will hang from. The 3 bolts are on the backside, connecting you to the midpipe. That small and straight of a test pipe section tells me that it's an ep3 spec test pipe section, an rsx section would be longer and curved. Please open your mind to information before trying to tell someone they're wrong.

I'm not saying that this is what your header looks like, just that the one pictured is ep spec.

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 02:18 PM
its says K20 K24 ep3 RSX so im guessing it will fit the EP3 like i said i had this on my EP before and never had any issues

It's the same header I have... It's an RSX specific header, but it works with the EP3. However you have to modify an EP3 mid pipe or use and RSX mid pipe.

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
What picture are you looking at? The hanger(and 2 bolt side) goes towards the front of the car connected to the header, the hangers will hang where the normal cat will hang from. The 3 bolts are on the backside, connecting you to the midpipe. That small and straight of a test pipe section tells me that it's an ep3 spec test pipe section, an rsx section would be longer and curved. Please open your mind to information before trying to tell someone they're wrong.

I'm not saying that this is what your header looks like, just that the one pictured is ep spec.

Ok, but you're wrong. The little piece you're referring to would have to be reversed to mount to an EP3 mid pipe, there for the hanger would physically run through the header. At least on my 2004 EP3 because the mid pipe is a 3 bolt flange. is it different on 02-03 models?

AKEP
01-21-2012, 02:25 PM
they're just trying to clarify its for a k-series regardless of spec fitment. unless they specify on the makers page, 2 separate systems (DC for example) most are RSX spec as far as a "K20" race header is concerned.

Buddy club's website states Civic Si specifically (it does list the application as integra dc5 too, but the pictures are labeled for ep3)

so im gunna say that you have a shorter ep3 spec race header vs a rsx race header, so your midpipe is too short to reach. have an exhaust shop make you a 3 bolt adapter for the front of the midpipe to header connection. reason being, they are more likely to mess up the rear of the midpipe-to-muffler as the midpipe twists as it is sagging, plus you have a donut gasket there also, where the front will be straight when they pull on it, and you can have flat flanges made on the 3 bolt (cheaper gaskets).

AKEP
01-21-2012, 02:29 PM

Ok, but you're wrong. The little piece you're referring to would have to be reversed to mount to an EP3 mid pipe, there for the hanger would physically run through the header. At least on my 2004 EP3.

Im going to have to say that the stock picture posted above is ep spec. here is a picture of an rsx spec one with the curved flange:
http://www.buddyclub.us/~OldSiteContents/buddyclub/exhaust_manifold/060918/IMG_7531_clean.JPG

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Well damn I guess I'm wrong lol. I still can't comprehend how that little adapter would work with the hanger on the EP3... Maybe its more of an offset the the picture shows?

I have the RSX header with the bend in it.

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
they're just trying to clarify its for a k-series regardless of spec fitment. unless they specify on the makers page, 2 separate systems (DC for example) most are RSX spec as far as a "K20" race header is concerned.

Buddy club's website states Civic Si specifically (it does list the application as integra dc5 too, but the pictures are labeled for ep3)

so im gunna say that you have a shorter ep3 spec race header vs a rsx race header, so your midpipe is too short to reach. have an exhaust shop make you a 3 bolt adapter for the front of the midpipe to header connection. reason being, they are more likely to mess up the rear of the midpipe-to-muffler as the midpipe twists as it is sagging, plus you have a donut gasket there also, where the front will be straight when they pull on it, and you can have flat flanges made on the 3 bolt (cheaper gaskets).

Thank you for proving my point.

In regards to the OP, refer to my signature for any further advice.

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Thank you for proving my point.

I may be an arrogant son of a bitch everyonce in a while (or so I have been told), but I am a man that admits when he is wrong. You sir where right (also manny), and I was wrong.

But back to the subject at hand, the problem is that the WSII muffler section is shorter the the EP3 muffler. The stock EP3 muffler literally bolted right on to the RSX mid pipe and RSX header. the question now is why is the muffler section of the WSII cat back system (for an EP3) is shorter then the ep3 muffler?

whatsvtec
01-21-2012, 02:53 PM
I may be an arrogant son of a bitch everyonce in a while (or so I have been told), but I am a man that admits when he is wrong. You sir where right (also manny), and I was wrong.

But back to the subject at hand, the problem is that the WSII muffler section is shorter the the EP3 muffler. The stock EP3 muffler literally bolted right on to the RSX mid pipe and RSX header. the question now is why is the muffler section of the WSII cat back system (for an EP3) is shorter then the ep3 muffler?

It's alright, I'm a stubborn motherfucker too! haha. I was under my car 3 times this past fall dealing with exhaust, I can close my eyes and imagine every part! lol. I just knew I was right and was trying to explain to help.

If you have the rsx spec header, and an oem rsx midpipe, then your problem seems to be in the muffler section... Maybe the apexi ws2 is proprietary for use with the apexi midpipe.

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 02:59 PM
It's alright, I'm a stubborn motherfucker too! haha. I was under my car 3 times this past fall dealing with exhaust, I can close my eyes and imagine every part! lol. I just knew I was right and was trying to explain to help.

If you have the rsx spec header, and an oem rsx midpipe, then your problem seems to be in the muffler section... Maybe the apexi ws2 is proprietary for use with the apexi midpipe.

LOL I can't even begin to count how many times I've been under my car the last 3 weeks, and I still need to install my motor mounts! It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't so fucking cold outside.

Thats the only reason I can think of as to why it's shorter, but I just think it would be cheaper for Apexi to use the same muffler and pipe that they do on their axle back kit?

AKEP
01-21-2012, 03:24 PM
Well damn I guess I'm wrong lol. I still can't comprehend how that little adapter would work with the hanger on the EP3... Maybe its more of an offset the the picture shows?

I have the RSX header with the bend in it.

you could try bolting midpipe to muffler and THEN connecting it to header, or try the ep mid if it doesn't fit. for now at least...

Drunken Yak inc
01-21-2012, 03:34 PM
you could try bolting midpipe to muffler and THEN connecting it to header, or try the ep mid if it doesn't fit. for now at least...

Ep mid pipe won't bolt up to the RSX header unless you cut out 3". I tried that first just in case and it wasn't even close to fitting. I have the WSII mid pipe cut up and ready to be pieced back together, but was hoping the RSX mid pipe would have been the "cleaner" solution.

Regardless, I appreciate the ideas.

Oh, and does anyone know if a muffler shop will work on a car with out a catalytic converter? I once heard they wouldn't, but don't know if that is true or not.

AKEP
01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
i image that they just can't remove it for you. i think once its off, its off. if the first place wont do it, take your money somewhere else.