PDA

View Full Version : How I spent my morning...

tinman5
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
So, I did some shopping earlier this week and received most of my goodies Thursday and Friday.
I opted not to wait for the group buy and hit up Corsport
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/d381eafd.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/c442a32e.jpg
As if by fate the fine producers of Monsterknobs were offering the appropriate shift knob to go along with this Betty
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/abc5e633.jpg
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/cb252aa3.jpg
Now unfortunately the folks i ordered my shift boot have no sense of communication or customer service, so I am left to wait on an alternative vendor.

tinman5
01-21-2012, 01:55 PM
And after a late breakfast, the end result
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/0edb7825.jpg

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z141/gumby74/8a86a96d.jpg

Very pleased with the end result, hopefully the black leatherette boot with red overstitching will complement the dark themr i have going on so far.
Otherwise, i will go with a red boot, carpeting and install the red Sparco seats i have sitting in the closet.

doubledouble
01-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Awesome. Post up your review after some time driving. :thumbsup:

tinman5
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
For the time being, I drove around for a bit before posting this, I am over-revving on take off. I dont know why, but it seems as if the tranny is new to me. I'm driving her the same as when I installed the new CC clutch kit. Very odd, i dont know why. The shift feel however is great. The only issue/concern i am presently having is the stiff return to center.
I read through the DIY, and several postings both here and through google, and figured I was having a common issue. Apparently the small white nylon caps that come with the BCSS are a tad on the big side. They tend to be ever so slightly flaired out when you install the shifter cables causing a very tight fit once the clips are installed. I replaced only the north/south cap with the oe cap and that helped. Once i get the boot in and take apart the cover, i will replace the east/west cap with the remaining oe piece and call it a day for better or worse.

Kerby
01-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Good for you for getting one.
This was one of my favorite mods I did on my hatch.

whatsvtec
01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Favorite mod, hands down. The new knob looks good too!

What did you use for a collar on your shift boot? It looks good!

tinman5
01-23-2012, 05:52 PM
I had originally picked up one of those cheap ebay screw on shift knobs that came with that black collar. From there, it was just a matter of removing the silver collar from the stock boot. I then used a washer that fit over the threaded portion but not big enough to slide down further, installed boot, threaded that black collar which conveniently holds the boot up nice and snug to the shift knob.

I had a friend tell me i should order the Type R boot. I thought about it, searched around long enough to see it costs about $90. What followed was a profanity laced tyrade with "youre crazy" and something about a different shaped collar in there as the only words that were not cusses. I think my solution is ultimately cleaner. And for the under twenty dollar cost of the previous shift knob, more appropriate buy.

mitchlikesbikes
01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
i think it looks great as is. in my opinion the JDM boot isn't really worth the cost even if you get it for cheaper than $90, since there's so many do it yourself options available. you're limited more by your creativity than by the price of the JDM boot.

tinman5
01-23-2012, 06:12 PM
Could not agree more. I've bought some questionable things in my life, somewhere in there i have learned to temper my wants.
That, and it feels good to work with my hands. Even coming up with silly little things like that, being imaginative and just plain old spending time outside feels good. I appreciate the compliments though.
As for best upgrades, i am still leaning towards the Type S brake upgrade with Metal Master pads and Castrol LMGTA fluid. I have used the Hawk pads and ultimately prefer the Axxis based on the amount of dust the Hawks spew out. Granted the Axxis is not ultimately as agressive as the Hawk, it is also not that far off either. And about 5 times cleaner to boot.

Kerby
01-24-2012, 05:54 AM
That is one thing I regret NOT doing. I should have gone with the TypeS setup than with the Wilwoods I'm running now.

tinman5
01-24-2012, 06:22 AM
I was on the edge with the Wilwoods myself. I think for what i have now, whats coming, and how i use the car the Type S set up is just fine. I finally found the correct belt size so i installed the NST pulleys a couple months ago, next up will be some stage 2 cams and a proper tune for 93 octane.
Ultimately i want to end up with 2.2 liters of displacement. Whether it be de-stroking a K24 or boring out and changing the rod ratio on the A2 currently in the car. I'll crunch some numbers and see where I end up at the end of the year.

tinman5
01-27-2012, 04:09 PM
A little update to anyone interested...
My experience with the folks at Interior Customs has been terrible. I am still waiting on this damn boot. A total of ten full business days and counting. Very poor communication and I am guessing not very truthful. I was told the boot would ship first thing Monday morning...alright cool... I get an email today, Friday stating my order has just shipped. I'm guessing Thursday.
If the product is not ready, thats perfectly fine. Just say so from the beginning.
Grrr....this kind of crap bothers me to no end. I feel better. It's been a crappy week and this company is getting grief for it.

ttttrigg3r
01-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I thought Buddy Club stopped making short shifters. How did you get one?

mitchlikesbikes
01-27-2012, 06:58 PM
I thought Buddy Club stopped making short shifters. How did you get one?

they did a limited run of them not too long ago

whatsvtec
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
I think they still have them. I bought 2 just in case... lol

tinman5
01-28-2012, 02:02 AM
Yup, i wasn't too sure how many more were going to be produced, so I went ahead and ordered mine while i know they are still in stock and available.

MugenReplica
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
This is gotta be one of my favorite mods too. I have one Ep with the Buddy Club and one Ep with the Neuspeed SS. I far prefer the Buddy Club for the smoothness and how much shorter the throw is.

doubledouble
01-28-2012, 03:01 PM
I just spoke (emailed) with an associate at velocity shop and they were blowing these buddy club short shifters out for black friday for $120. Now it's up to $170, I asked him about a group buy and he said to inform him how many were interested and that he'd talk to his supervisor about a group buy discount.

tinman5
01-28-2012, 05:41 PM
I got mine from Corsport for $151.
The discount code they have listed is still active. 5% ain't much, but no complaints.

mack
01-30-2012, 01:16 PM
Is there a group buy post somewhere? I'm interested.