PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter - Custom Exhaust Kit? What to do?

electronictofu
01-22-2012, 02:39 AM
I am brand new here, I have an 03' and the check engine light and maintenance light has been on. Honda checked it a couple months ago and said it was either the cat. or the cat. sensor needing replacement. I am debating on getting some bolt on upgrades, nothing too crazy, subtle performance upgrades, headers and exhaust, intake?

Anyways that's not really why I'm here! :) I was curious, instead of paying Honda $1200 for a new cat. converter should I buy a new exhaust system and a new cat.? And put it together myself?

I built muscle cars and VW's for years, always had Hondas but never worked on them, so it's somewhat new when it comes to the techy stuff and California emissions, which Im not used to...

Just looking for some good options to save money and up the power a bit? And of course... get the engine light to turn off.... :meek:

Thanks in advance... !

electronictofu
01-22-2012, 09:44 PM
:)

Popeye
01-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Fuck THAT! I paid $60 for my 2.5" test pipe. You could probably by all brand name shit for less than $1200. And thats ALL the way back, exhaust manifold to the tip. If you wanna save a few bucks, you can probably do it all for $300 or less. $400 if you heat wrap.

powdbyrice
01-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Don't replace anything til u have to get smogged. I had a po420 for 50k miles. Didn't replace the cat until i sold the car. Cost me $800 through showcase Honda parts dept.