PDA

View Full Version : folding mirrors?

Mr.02BlackSIguY
01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
does the EP CTR have folding mirrors like the EK ones? just wondering because i would love to get folding mirrors for my EP with they have it... any one know? thanks

fyzm7357
01-04-2003, 07:42 PM
The CTR has Power Folding Mirrors (mirrors that close with the touch of a button).
The Si has just "manual" Folding Mirrors.

Fizz Autosports sells the Power Folding Mirrors for our cars.
Hope this helps...

Type X
01-04-2003, 07:54 PM
yes

once i finish the ctr kit i am DEF gonna order the power folding mirrors :)

Tragedy
01-04-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Type X
yes

once i finish the ctr kit i am DEF gonna order the power folding mirrors :)

I have the power folding mirrors for the EK Type-R...wanna buy em and ghetto-rig it?
:p :confused:

Type X
01-04-2003, 08:27 PM
nope

BarracksSi
01-04-2003, 08:35 PM
What's the purpose of power folding mirrors?

The reason why the mirrors fold in the first place is not to make the car fit into really REALLY narrow parking spaces (I just about flipped my lid the first time I heard that line!). They fold to protect pedestrians from serious injury.

Folding mirrors have been around for years. The first time I was aware of their existence was in the early 80's when I was hitting puberty and getting interested in nice cars, and Porsche had them in their entire line. For quite a while, their side mirrors looked like a paddle on a stick, but they would fold back if hit, preventing even more injury if the car slightly grazed a pedestrian.

The stock EP mirrors fold for the same reason. Are aftermarket "power folding" mirrors capable of folding when hit?

I would not want to mess with the safety features already built into the car. Imagine some yahoo who can't remember to watch for traffic getting hit by an aftermarket mirror that remains rigid upon impact. If their ambulance-chasing lawyer (a specific type of lawyer, to be sure) gets wind of the modified mirror, he'll come up with some way to say that the driver was negligent in maintaining the safety of the vehicle, and that opens up a whole new legal mess.

golferjn
01-04-2003, 08:56 PM
power folding mirrors sound nice

steve_jones
01-05-2003, 03:51 AM
I dont have power folding mirrors on my type r . must be a jdm thing maybe ?

Steve

jostrom
01-05-2003, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by fyzm7357
The CTR has Power Folding Mirrors (mirrors that close with the touch of a button).
Never heard about this !?! Mine doesn't have...

Suk02Si
01-05-2003, 04:16 AM
yeah I think it's a Japan-only thing

smokincivic
01-05-2003, 08:58 AM
The first time I was aware of their existence was in the early 80's when I was hitting puberty :D Thanks for the update LOL

Tragedy
01-05-2003, 12:31 PM
ALL CARS in Japan are equipped with power folding mirrors. This is a requirement on all cars because Japan's streets and parking lots are very narrow and it's a lot easier to have power folding mirrors than getting out of your car everytime and folding them yourself.

BlasTech
01-05-2003, 12:37 PM
I manually fold my mirror in every night when I get out of my car, because I park tight to allow room in my garage for two cars. Sometimes folding mirrors come in handy if you dont have a garage, because certain birds will attack the mirrors.

ep pilot
01-05-2003, 01:00 PM
I Jerry-rigged a set of these on my '91 LS Integra, hooked it right up to the ignition, so that when the car was off they would retract, when the car turned on the would fold back out. I wish I had a set for the Si, but will have to wait.

I think these cars in the U.S. have the folding mirrors
-2002-03 Lexus LS430
-2000-03 Mercedes Benz S-Class
-2002-03 BMW 745LI
-2002-03 Infiniti Q45

Thats all I can think of at this time.

-Ryan

Fizz Autosports
01-06-2003, 09:07 AM
I would not want to mess with the safety features already built into the car. Imagine some yahoo who can't remember to watch for traffic getting hit by an aftermarket mirror that remains rigid upon impact. If their ambulance-chasing lawyer (a specific type of lawyer, to be sure) gets wind of the modified mirror, he'll come up with some way to say that the driver was negligent in maintaining the safety of the vehicle, and that opens up a whole new legal mess.

Well as far as saftey goes for your stock mirrors folding, the electric folding motors also can be Pushed in and do not remain any more Rigid during impact as your stock would in any givign situation. And also remember this isnt actually an aftermarket item as it is made by Honda.

BarracksSi
01-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Ohhh, ok, so the electric ones fold after all.

As Rosanna Rosannadanna would say,

Nyevermiind...