PDA

View Full Version : intercooled jrsc?

ephatchback
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
ive searched and found nothing..i know this is a stupid question, but would it be possible/reasonable, to run my cai through an intercooler into my TB? wouldnt the intercooled air cool the sc significantly, or would the intercooled air not be filteredand let crap into my sc? im not sure if an intercooler is filtered, or if it relies on the filter that runs between the intercooler and the TB.i know theres an obvious reason people dont do this i just dont know what it is lol -joep.

Drunken Yak inc
01-24-2012, 07:41 PM
The reason nobody does it is because it wouldn't cool the air... Intercoolers cool the air after its been heated up by the blower through compression.

ephatchback
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
making my cai temp colder wouldnt effect the temp of the blower at all? -joep

AttarixEp
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Aftercooler, which doesn't work well on the Ep chassis due to having no room to add one. I kept temps low with water/meth. Low temps and a little power gain. Win/win

Drunken Yak inc
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
The air in the intercooler would be the same temp as the air blowing over the intercooler, ambient air temperature vs. ambient air temperature... Unless you packed the intercooler with ice or had another way to cool it below ambient air temp there would be no cooling.

Red_liner740
01-24-2012, 08:24 PM
due to size restrictions the eaton style superchargers discharge directly into the intake manifold. OEM manufacturers have used intercoolers to cool the compressed air back down before going to the intake.

http://www3.telus.net/public/vgfedor/FordT-Bird/95SC_Engine_Dsc00469.jpg

for instance the Thunderbird S/C. Even though the supercharger sits inbetween the two heads and it "should" be feeding into the manifold sitting underneath, its actually flipped upside down. the s/c inlet is in the back, the discharge on the top goes to a small intercooler in the front and then travels back to the intake manifold sitting under the supercharger.

due to size restrictions they couldnt mount the supercharger upside down to allow to discharge to an intercooler.

water coolers are also used for their smaller size but the EP3 bay again doesnt have enough room.

AttarixEp
01-24-2012, 08:35 PM
You could try the DEI cryo2 intake bulb. It uses Co2 to freeze a teardrop shaped bulb in the CAI, so the air that passes over it drops in temp before entering the SC and intake mani. It seems pretty legit and I almost tried it. Same idea as the guys who spray off their intercoolers before a pull.

differentK
01-25-2012, 08:24 AM
haha you just let the cat out of the bag... ive been looking at the DEI system for like 2 yrs now. colder, more dense air charge along with a cooler running blower- all from CO2 that you can refill at your local hobby store... id say thats a win/ win as well- and you dont have to spray water into your blower lol

ephatchback
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
haha you just let the cat out of the bag... ive been looking at the DEI system for like 2 yrs now. colder, more dense air charge along with a cooler running blower- all from CO2 that you can refill at your local hobby store... id say thats a win/ win as well- and you dont have to spray water into your blower lol

no shit i was just searching for that c02 setup yesterday and couldnt find it..i might as well try it..if anything ill have a slightly more efficient sc..thanks- joep

AttarixEp
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
no shit i was just searching for that c02 setup yesterday and couldnt find it..i might as well try it..if anything ill have a slightly more efficient sc..thanks- joep

It's a pretty cool set-up. And fairly simple. Drill out your intake for the co2 tube. Put in the bulb. Run your hoses from the tank to a control valve, then vent to atmosphere after your intake. You can keep it as simple as a switch up front, or boost controlled, so as you gain boost, it will automatically switch open the valve. My water meth was boost controlled. I set it to start at 4psi, and max out at 10psi so I wasn't injecting a full spray at low boost or not enough at higher boost.

ephatchback
01-26-2012, 12:42 PM
It's a pretty cool set-up. And fairly simple. Drill out your intake for the co2 tube. Put in the bulb. Run your hoses from the tank to a control valve, then vent to atmosphere after your intake. You can keep it as simple as a switch up front, or boost controlled, so as you gain boost, it will automatically switch open the valve. My water meth was boost controlled. I set it to start at 4psi, and max out at 10psi so I wasn't injecting a full spray at low boost or not enough at higher boost.

thats a nice setup..i checked out the c02 setup and its about 600 bucks just for a basic setup..that whole kit was 150 bucks when i first saw it 10yrs ago lol..-joep