PDA

View Full Version : 10yr old paint help

ephatchback
01-25-2012, 04:43 PM
i just bought an 02 si that has alot of nicks and scratched/small rust spots in the paint...including a crack in the front bumper and a dent in the passenger side quarter panel right on the upper body line.and clear coat peeling off the rear wing .the car has 185k w a new-ish motor with under 60k..im installing a jrsc this weekend/coilovers..ive already got i/e and rims..the car looks nice but its nhb and even waxed and polished you can see the the damgage from a good distance..im on a linited budget and really cant justify spending 2k on paint..any suggestions? i could possibly spot check the small scratches and chips with factory touchup paint, then buff, but right now itd be cheaper to replace the hood w a cf hood than repaint it..id just like to hear your guys input..this is my project car..if i get another couple grand its going under the hood lol..i was considering masking out my garage and spraying it myself..i know how to wetsand/primer/clear ect..im just trying to think outside the box.if theres anyone on here in the colorado springs area itd be nice to talk to a local for once.not alot of ep3s out here...thanks- joep

mitchlikesbikes
01-25-2012, 05:18 PM
plastidip that bitch. haha

Tnhatch03
01-25-2012, 06:30 PM
it would cost more than $2,000 to repaint.

i would say get the exterior looking how you want before spending the money on the motor. if you don't smile while you are walking to your car and turn your head to look at the car when you get out, the exterior should be top priority. otherwise, you will grow to hate it.

Satinsilver03
01-25-2012, 06:33 PM
what you can try is to claybar the entire car....then wetsand whatever scratches arent too deep....then buff the whole car and wax it....see how thats comes out.....

or

you could wetsand the whole car and see how it comes out

ephatchback
01-25-2012, 07:02 PM
what you can try is to claybar the entire car....then wetsand whatever scratches arent too deep....then buff the whole car and wax it....see how thats comes out.....

or

you could wetsand the whole car and see how it comes out

thats what ill probably end up doing..this is my project car..ill spraypaint it flat black before i spend 3k on paint..i just dropped about 2 grand into the motor, and thats where im gunna keep my money for now..the car doesnt look terrible by any means..when i wax and buff my car it looks great i just want to fix the spots that need fixed for a reasonable price..the problem is i know exactly how to paint a car i just dont have the space/tools to do it..i think ill start w the front bumper, fix the crack, spot check the paint and wetsand/buff the hell out of it and see how it goes..ive been thinking about that meguiars wraptivo cf body wrap
for my hood, but i have a feeling its pretty expensive..plus noone in the springs carries it..advance auto parts carries it just not in the springs i guess..thanks guys- joep

MajorJones
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM

i would say get the exterior looking how you want before spending the money on the motor. if you don't smile while you are walking to your car and turn your head to look at the car when you get out, the exterior should be top priority. otherwise, you will grow to hate it.

Haha! I do this all the time! I Thought i was just far to crazy about my ep like everyone says i am..

OP, Goodluck with the diy repaint. Post progress pics when you get off to a start!

j0000stin
01-25-2012, 07:16 PM

my gf gets mad at me when she talks to me while we pass my car and i ignore her to stare at the ap1 hahaha

ep3colin
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Prep it yourself and maaco

dimilo
06-27-2012, 08:10 AM
thats what ill probably end up doing..this is my project car..ill spraypaint it flat black before i spend 3k on paint..i just dropped about 2 grand into the motor, and thats where im gunna keep my money for now..the car doesnt look terrible by any means..when i wax and buff my car it looks great i just want to fix the spots that need fixed for a reasonable price..the problem is i know exactly how to paint a car i just dont have the space/tools to do it..i think ill start w the front bumper, fix the crack, spot check the paint and wetsand/buff the hell out of it and see how it goes..ive been thinking about that meguiars wraptivo cf body wrap
for my hood, but i have a feeling its pretty expensive..plus noone in the springs carries it..advance auto parts carries it just not in the springs i guess..thanks guys- joep

If you going to do rattlecan paint job then I'd recommend putting your efforts towards the Rustoleum roller paintjob. I've seen some that almost look professional.

los
06-27-2012, 08:28 AM
wrap it!!! lol

MattG80
06-27-2012, 09:58 AM
If you're thinking about wrapping the hood get on ebay and look up the auto vinyl solutions store. They carry 3m scotchprint carbon fiber vinyl and the pricing is real good. You only need a yard by 60" for our hoods. It'll cost you about $55. Good luck be sure to post pics. If you do a search on wraps you'll see some of my work on here.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2