PDA

View Full Version : DIY: AC off with defrost setting

nline6
01-26-2012, 03:30 PM
if you haven't noticed soon as you switch to defrost/floor or just defrost the A/C kicks on but the light doesn't turn on on the dash to let you know. this drove me nut because i normally leave it on defrost/floor all the time but i was loosing gas mileage. plus i hate feeling it kick on and off while driving.

well here is the fix

1. turn key to on position
2. turn knobs to cold, fan to off, and vent to face
3 turn key off
4. hold recirculate and a/c buttons down
5 while holding buttons down turn key to on
6 wait till recurulate light flashes then the a/c light will stay on then let go of both buttons.
7 turn knob to defrost if a/c light comes on it worked you can now turn the a/c off each time you chose any function that automatically turn the a/c compressor on.

-Brett

DropItLikeIts
01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
I'll have to give it a try! I just got my EP this fall. I didn't realize the AC would kick in on floor\defrost. My older Hondas didn't. I was getting crappy gas mileage also. Thanks

d0rad0EP3
01-27-2012, 05:11 PM
if you haven't noticed soon as you switch to defrost/floor or just defrost the A/C kicks on but the light doesn't turn on on the dash to let you know. this drove me nut because i normally leave it on defrost/floor all the time but i was loosing gas mileage. plus i hate feeling it kick on and off while driving.

well here is the fix

1. turn key to on position
2. turn knobs to cold, fan to off, and vent to face
3 turn key off
4. hold recirculate and a/c buttons down
5 while holding buttons down turn key to on
6 wait till recurulate light flashes then the a/c light will stay on then let go of both buttons.
7 turn knob to defrost if a/c light comes on it worked you can now turn the a/c off each time you chose any function that automatically turn the a/c compressor on.

-Brett

Isnt this trick shown in one of our forums videos ???

sippyyy
01-27-2012, 05:31 PM

x2

whatsvtec
01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
This is a classic! :thumbu:

krod
01-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Thanks for this been wanting to do this for a while just figured it had to be that way works great

HFPcivicSI
01-31-2012, 01:03 PM
I wonder if this has been killing my MPG too.. Not only that, but would it contribute to a minor power loss? Thats what I would be more concerned with.

carrito
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM

link?

carrito
01-31-2012, 01:42 PM
i just did it! pretty easy less than a minute :mbiggrin:

RHCP0801
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
I never even knew this, I will have to give it a try when I get home

StimulisRK
02-02-2012, 07:15 AM
link?

http://www.ephatch.com/videopages/ACtrick.html

I also get a pretty big power loss it seems like with the AC on, the car shakes pretty bad. I was told to clean out the IAC valve (which I have yet to do haha)

It's also weird that in my regular 02 civic EX, the AC light stays on with defrost no matter what, but in our EP3's we can turn the AC light off (even though it's still on)

I'll be doing this soon!

thanismo
02-04-2012, 03:20 AM
nice

rufiogeezee
06-25-2012, 08:20 PM
i've done this and it worked out tons when my A/C went out. stopped me from being paranoid when running my defrost with a bad A/C compressor.

VividSI
08-19-2014, 07:50 AM
I just now did this, I wish I knew about it when my AC was going out because I had to run my defroster in some rainy weather which caused metal particles to cycle through my whole system. Oh well.