PDA

View Full Version : AC Trouble

SEK_90
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
So here's the deal. My AC went bad on me a couple months ago and just stopped blowing cold air, I replaced the blown condenser fan fuse and within a week it blew again. Then right after I put a new fuse in it blew automatically. I took it to pep boys and they said there are no electrical problems but that my compressor and condenser fan went bad. They recommended me to buy a Compresser, Drier, and Condenser Fan. Im willing to buy these parts but the one thing that im iffy about is that my heater still works, could this be possible with pep boys telling me that my compressor is bad? Im willing to buy the parts but i dont want to get ripped off. Thank you in advance for anyone who replies.

Guardian
01-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Heaters not related to those parts, fuse is blowing because of a short. Take It to another shop

civicsmoke420
02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
The Compressor could very well be bad! If it is bad it will draw a ton of current (Amps) in order to attempt to work properly. That is why whenever you put a fuse in (probably a 10 or 15 amp fuse) it blows. Because it is drawing more current than your fuse can handle in order to attempt to work it will blow fuse after fuse. The only way to be sure is to check the problem with a Multimeter and see just how much current the motor (Compressor) is drawing while it attempts to work. But at the same time it could very well be a short circuit. But if the compressor attempts to run and then blows the fuse odds are that the compressor itself is the source of your problem. I work as a tech at a Honda dealership and it sounds to me like the "mechanics" at Pep Boys are trying to get their grubby little fingers into your wallet! You do NOT need to buy all those parts. Find out what is the exact problem and only replace that part. Since they are not technicians they are going to attempt to sell you every part of the system because they know if you replace everything that it should fix the problem. Good luck........

Civic5lug
02-12-2012, 07:29 AM
:yeahthat: Good post :rockon:

Twisted-X
02-12-2012, 12:08 PM
I may be totally wrong here, but isn't the compressor powered by the engine? My understanding is that the compressor clutch is actually what is electrically powered. Either way, if its shorting out it'll have to be replaced (they recommend doing the drier too because of moisture contamination).
Like previously stated, check the condenser fan using a multimeter to see just how many amps it pulling when the AC kicks on.

civicsmoke420
02-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Yes, the compressor is powered by the engine through a pulley. It is attached to the engine via the serpentine belt therefore the pulley always spins when the engine is running. The part that would be bad IS the compressor clutch. It is what actually engages the pulley when the AC is activated. But since the AC compressor is not re-buildable you must replace the entire AC compressor. It is not necessary to replace the drier too though!! I replace these things on a weekly basis (especially on the '06-'10 models) and we very rarely replace the drier as well. Its just not necessary. There really is no such thing as moisture contamination. The same fluid that is going through the compressor flows through the rest of the system. Just charge the system properly after the replacement and you will be good to go!

Also, when you use the multimeter to check how much amperage is being drawn with the ac compressor you will need to use a jumper lead in order to bypass the fuse. If you do not have a good knowledge of automotive electrical circuits do not attempt this yourself!! You could do a lot of damage if you do it incorrectly (Like fry the ECU)!! For the love of god please have an ASE electrically certified mechanic check this out for you to keep from damaging shit!! They will charge you but it will be cheaper than replacing a $1500 computer!

Twisted-X
02-13-2012, 02:29 PM
I'm not a Tech by any means but this was An interesting read-through. (http://www.autoacsystems.com/_faqs/detail/compressor.html)
I'm gonna side with Guardian, get a second opinion.

BTW ECU's are $330 brand new... [37820-PNF-A12]