PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Gave me a Larger Oil Filter Today?......

JSIR
07-20-2002, 07:26 PM
Went to get an oil filter for my first oil change and the dealer gave me a larger sized oil filter. The new k20 engines all come with smaller oil filters compared to the old b-series engines. Well my delaer told me those filters are just used during break-in period and after that we are supposed to revert back to the larger sized filters that the b16's used to use. Anyone else get this line from the dealer ?, I know for a fact that the RSX-S and base RSX still use the smaller filters after break-in, wonder why they are telling me this about the Civic Si K20 engine ?, doesn't make sense. Anyone any info on this topic ?
thanks

DrPimpSiR
07-20-2002, 07:35 PM
JSIR,
I wouldn't think that a bigger oil filter would be a problem at all!
That just means greater filtration media surface area. As long as you are getting Honda quality parts, you shouldn't worry.
I still haven't reached 8,000 km yet, so I still have the break-in oil, and filter.

JSIR
07-20-2002, 07:40 PM
thanks for the info, I am sure they are all same quality filters, but I know there is a difference with oil pressure between the two filters, the smaller sized filters boost up the oil presssure compared to the larger sized ones. I'm just wondering what is the logic in this decision, are the dealers too cheap to stock a different sized filter and would rather use one size, the Acura dealers stock and sell the smaller filters for the RSX engines. Something that is just bugging me, that's all, can't figure out the motivation behind the decision.

Mr.02BlackSIguY
07-21-2002, 01:39 PM
when are u suppose to get ur first oil change? when the oil light comes on? i know its not 3000 miles, rite now i only have 1700

Pradamuimui
07-21-2002, 01:48 PM
You are supposed to get your oil canged right at around 3700 miles. That came straight from Honda, so I know that its correct:P

DrPimpSiR
07-21-2002, 06:00 PM
Here in Canada the manual states 8000 km/6 mos (5000 miles.)
I am going to let mine go for the complete 8000 for the first change , but after I'm going to switch to probably 5000 after that.
Don't wait for your oil light to come on, this could be the end of your engine!!!
I noticed I've used about a cup of oil for 2000 km. Check your level at each fill up.

JSIR
07-21-2002, 06:57 PM
ah I called bullshit to Honda's recommendation and I changed my first oil at 2,600 kms, and also switched to 5w-30 oil . I dyno'd my engine after that and everything seems to be working quite well , even with the thicker oil.

Az02Si
07-22-2002, 02:06 AM
Same here,i pulled the oil at 2K miles and it looked HORRIBLE.Ill never leave that break in oil crap in the car for more than 2k,TOPS.Threw in the trusty Castrol 5-30,and the cars great.And i cannot BELIEVE how much harder the car pulls with almost 6k on the clock.

JSIR
07-22-2002, 05:51 AM
hey AZ, did you use a new oil filter yet ?, if so what size was it, the larger normal b-series filter or the newer smaller sized filter ?.

AkronSi
07-22-2002, 06:42 AM
I've read the service schedule and 5000 miles is the heavy duty schedule. The normal schedule is 10,000 miles. If talked to engineers before, not Honda people, and motor oil can last well over 5,000 miles. You'll notice that most luxury cars have long oil change intervals over 8,000 miles. If you look at Porsche 911's, the intervals are between 10,000 and 15,000 miles. I'd guess that the type of driving a Porsche is likely to see is a little more than what your typical Civic will get, unless you race.

If you don't mind spending the extra money on oil and filters, then go for it. Change your oil every 3,000 miles. But don't worry if you go by the manual. It won't hurt your engine. Just be sure you check your oil on a regular basis and keep it topped off.

Az02Si
07-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Sup Joey,Brett here....I am using a Bosch filter,the same size as the OEM one that came on the car.Part #3323 is the Bosch filter.I used them in the old Si for 60K miles and never had a problem.And yes i changed the filter everytime i change the oil.Im already on my second oil change!!!

JSIR
07-22-2002, 03:31 PM
hey Brett, so you are using the smaller sized filter that originally came on the vehicle. Interesting.

Az02Si
07-22-2002, 03:46 PM
yea,no problems,even the autoparts stores list that as the correct filter for the 02.

JSIR
07-22-2002, 05:46 PM
I will swear up and down that the engine feels smoother when running the smaller sized filters, it did on my old b16a and it does on this engine. I think I'm gonna go back to the smaller sized filters, plus they are much cheaper cost as well compared to the larger sized ones. I'll buy them from the local Acura dealer in my hometown they sell them for all the RSX models. thanks for the info. Brett.

SmoothOperator
07-22-2002, 07:01 PM
okay, I just got my oil changed today at 7000km.
JSIR, I haven't had a chance to look at the oil filter, but once I do I'll get back to you on whether they gave me a big one too. They probably did considering we use the same dealership.
I haven't done much driving today, but I haven't noticed any difference with it. Also...What did service have to say about you switching oils??? Will it affect your warranty?

bioevolve
07-22-2002, 07:23 PM
Well most of us drive extra severely anyway, so to keep it in top condition I change mine every 2000 miles w/ the small filter. I only have 2760 miles on it right now, but I drive it hard alot and went down the 1/4mile 33 times already.

It depends on how you drive it, that is how you should regulate how often you change your oil and what size of filter you use.

I think these are the cross ref's.

HP-1010 K&N
L14610 Purolator Premium Plus
PH6607 FRAM Extraguard
TG6607 FRAM Toughguard
DG6607 FRAM Doubleguard

JSIR
07-22-2002, 08:13 PM
well I ended up changing my own oil, so we never discussed the grade of oil when I purchased the oil filter at the parts counter. I have a friend who is the parts guy at Acura, I'm gonna check with him tomorrow and see if they've made any changes to the oil filters for the RSX engines.