PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Canada

Samwise
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Hello Ephatch,

My name is Sam, I live in Edmonton AB, Canada. Since 2006 I've wanted to own a Honda Civic SIR. Now that I have enough cash to buy one I really don't want to buy a bad one. I came close to buying one last year but had some doubts about the huge amount on mileage on the vehicle. I've been prowling around this site for some time now and would like to ask for your guy's opinion.

The vehicle in question is a 2002 Civic SIR. It has 120300 kilometers on it (74750 miles) and been dealer maintained. Other than it being a bit dirty it looks pretty decent. He is asking $9k for it (CAD), does that seem too much?

Let me know what you guys think, I am very close to buying this car. The owner says he is not in a rush to sell it, so that gives me some time to research a bit.

Also, this person lives 3 hours from me. (Calgary)

Some pictures he sent me.

http://i.imgur.com/7RTENh.jpg

The rest of the gallery is on my imgur account

http://imgur.com/a/dpJbt#1

Thanks guys!

Jukka
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Welcome! Good to see another Canadian on the forum. The car looks pretty good for the price. I'd try and talk him down a bit. I bought my 02 with around the same KM back about 3 years ago for around $12Kish. Mind you mine had some minor mods (H&R springs, KYB shocks, AEM intake, HFP spoiler, and JDM sidemarkers). Is he selling it as pictured? or does he have a set of summers/OEM rims with it too? I'd also ask him to take some pics of the car when its not wet. I bought a car from Ohio about 5 years ago that when I saw the pictures the car was wet, when I got down there (5 hours later), found out that the roof's clear was completely gone and there was rust on the rear 1/4. Managed to get the car for like $1500 off his asking price, but I'd still look into it further/go down to Cowtown and take a look see.

Samwise
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes, it comes with a set of stock wheels and summer tires. I'll see if I can get some more pictures from him. Earliest I can go down to Calgary is Friday.

Thanks.

ImportCustomx
01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Welcome dude, looks good!

Samwise
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Good new bad new. Good news, I am going to Calgary Friday to check it out and take it for a test drive. Bad news, he wont be able to sell until after Feb 22. Might be a while longer before I can own one of these. :sadface:

Anything specific I should look into while I'm checking it out?

StimulisRK
02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
I just bought my 03 this past August for $5250 US ($5283 CA) with 98,000 miles. It definitely was not dealer maintained, so your guy does have that going for him.

I checked the NADA site, but I couldnt find anything for the Canadian market. http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2002/Honda/Civic-4-Cyl/Hatchback-3D-Si/Standard-Equipment So that pricing is for the same car in my area in USD.
Me personally, I wouldnt go above $7000 - that's here though, I dont know how different the used car market is in Canada. I'm assuming if you go to NADA home page from where you are it might be a .ca instead of .com. Google "NADA Guides". Good luck!

Samwise
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
The market I'm in is quite pricey. High mileage civics are going for 6-7k. They are very rare cars here.

MugenReplica
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Welcome to the site!!!

G-MaC!
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
The market I'm in is quite pricey. High mileage civics are going for 6-7k. They are very rare cars here.

I know what you mean man, it's kinda dumb. Make sure the steering rack feels tight, that is one of the weak points of these cars. Turn the wheel all the way from left to right and listen for a creaking sound. If you hear that, I would stay away.

RhINoX^
02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Hi.I live in Calgary. I`ve seen good ones for sale. There is a blue 03 ep3 for 9k. Looks clean.If you have time check it out.Ad was on kijiji.
Good luck!

Samwise
02-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Drove down to calgary today and checked out the car. To tired to get the pictures if my camera and resize them.

He says I have first dibs on it. Mechanical its great. Cosmetically there are a few issues here and there but what do you expect for a 10 year old car.

I will post up some shots later.

Samwise
02-05-2012, 08:34 PM
I updated my imgur gallery with some more pictures. Cosmetically there are some paint chips on the hood and fenders. Paint is peeling off the SIR badge. Headlights are hazed. Rubberized coated under the side window on the driver side is peeling. Two dents and a scrape on the driver side towards the rear of the car after the driver side door. the window molding is popped up because of a satellite radio install.
http://i.imgur.com/pyDNrh.jpg

Here is the gallery.

http://imgur.com/a/dpJbt#10

ep32424
02-08-2012, 09:57 PM
welcome and it looks alright price is little bit high.

Pronto
02-10-2012, 09:45 AM
In that condition I think that price is a bit too high.

Jukka
02-10-2012, 10:23 AM
^^ this...i'd talk him down a bit. It doesnt look to serious (the issues with the body), but yea i'd talk him down.

RhINoX^
02-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Ep3s are holding pretty good value cause they are so rare. Mine was appraised at 11900 and it`s 9 year old Honda.

zc1
02-20-2012, 02:25 PM
I was interested in that car as well, but ended up going with a different one -- I never actually even drove down to Calgary to have a look at it. If he's serious about selling it then he should be willing to drop the price a bit.

There's a 2004 at Millwoods Honda that you might want to check out. It's priced quite high for the way it sits right now -- front end (bumper and hood) is rock-chipped like crazy, front bumper has a bit of warping to it on the passenger side like it hit something (CarProof is clean, btw), stock wheels have some curb rash on them.

I drove it (drove ok; needs brake work, though) and spoke with the dealer about it. I was told that they are going to give it a full mechanical inspection (including compression, etc), fix/replace whatever needs fixing/replacing (including brakes), and repaint the front end. That's supposed to be happening this week. It comes with one set of wheels (OEM) and two sets of tires (all-season + winter). The winters are currently on the car. It has tinted windows and a remote starter/alarm installed.

Issues:
-Mechanical: Brakes (maybe other mechanical as well...remains to be seen from dealer inspection)
-Aesthetic: Rock chips -- front end is to be repainted
-Aesthetic: Wheels have some curb rash on them
-Aesthetic: Center panel has a bit of rash from what I'm guessing was a vent-attached cellphone holder.

It should be nice if/when all the work gets done, but I suspect that flexibility on pricing will be limited if they put a bunch of money into fixing it up a bit.

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
02-20-2012, 04:34 PM
def talk him down bro, that price is way to high

Rick66
02-22-2012, 06:13 PM
I'm located in Canada just like you and look what I've bought for 4900$ CAD:

02 SiR 170,000km

-04 headlights
-Full D2 Racing coilovers
-17'' Rota GT3
-2 way viper alarm system

9000$ is WAYYY too high, curently on kijiji there's one low mileage EP3 @ 5000$ CAD ..but it's in Québec. 9000 should get you a low mileage 2004 SiR GFX imo.

Example: 114,000km 2004 Honda Civic SiR GFX(even have the optional HFP wheels woah!) - 9200$

http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2004-Honda-Civic-SIR-Coupe-W0QQAdIdZ353748617

Here's some pics just to show you out I didn't got a rust bucket at this price:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/CobraDrifter/P1010596.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh279/CobraDrifter/P1010598.jpg

zc1
02-23-2012, 05:31 PM
So many great car deals come out of Quebec, and many come with summer and winter wheels+tires. In the last month I've seen 3 cars that I would have LOVED to purchase, all of which were located in Quebec. Shipping to Alberta would have added $1500 to the price, having it inspected prior to purchase would have added more...and I still wouldn't have trusted it as much as flying out myself and inspecting for myself (which would have been even more expensive, yet)...add to that issues with actually arranging the purchase.

Samwise
02-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Heh, Thanks for the replies guys.

Still looking, kinda on hold at the moment, a lot of snow fall in the last while.