PDA

View Full Version : jrsc installed but somethins wrong

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 02:09 AM
i just installed a 1st gen jrsc street kit on my ep..stock motor w sri and axle back exhaust w magnaflow muffler..my ac comp was shot so for th time being i bypassed the ac pully w a shorter belt..when we had everthing installed and ready to get the cai back in the car we noticed 2 thin hoses coming from the sc where it bolts to the TB that didnt seem to go anywhere..they look like vac hoses, but i couldnt find anythingn in the instructions that mentioned it..ive also searched the forums w no luck..we decided to plug the lines to avoid a vac leak since were pretty sure theyre vac lines..so the car runs..it honestly seems a bit slower than stock untill i hit wot..then i can tell the boost is there. im running the 5 psi pully..when im between half to 3/4 throttle the power bogs and almost stutters until i get it just before wot..im assuming those hoses were supposed to tap into the bypass or purge valve or at least the vac system, but im not sure. also my friend checked for oil in the charger and thought it was empty and added about 12oz of sc oil..the guy i got the chargr from said he put oil in it already..soooo....if anyone can shed some light on what might have gone wrong id def appreciate it..would putting too much oil in the sc cause problems? the 2 hoses im talking about are from th jrsc manifold and theres no place for them on the stock intake mani..sorry i dont have any pics at the moment but its 2 am here. has anyone had any similar throttle/power loss issues? i have searched all of this w no luck..i really appreciate your guys input..thanks- joep

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Using power card?

MugenReplica
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
It'll be easier to help out as well when we can get some pics. Can you upload some tonight?

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 11:23 AM
nope...waiting for vafc to get here...i kno thats a nono, but from what ive gathered with my local tuner he said the car might run a little lean at 5psi if im driving it like an idiot but never said it would act like this..it feels like ive got a vaccume leak..just bogged down..also when im driving w the window down i can hear it hissing even when the blower isnt spinning...i kno i really need to get it tuned, i was just gunna drive it lightly till i got the vafc..right now i feel like i probably have less hp than i started with..thanks- joep

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
ill find where he plugged those lines and take a pic today for sure..he ran the hoses into each other assuming they were both vac..when i saw them they were rite next to each other next to the tb and werent long enough to go anywhere...there arent any holes or nipples unaccounted for as far as i know..-joep

MugenReplica
02-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Oye.....a VAFC is going to cause more problems than good. There are a couple of members here and there with 310cc Type S injectors, using the powercard, and a 4.0" pulley. I suggest DO NOT get a VAFC. Did the "tuner" sell you it, or are you buying it from another source? I only ask because I think the guy just wants you to buy crap from him at his mark up, and then "tune" your car at his labor cost. A VAFC really honestly doesn't help.

K20A EP3
02-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Definatly need some pics to help you out. If you want ill post a pic of mine to compare to. Only diffrece should be is mine has the map relocater

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM
VAFC? :thumbd:

MugenReplica
02-02-2012, 12:33 PM
P.S. I should also mention that I DO NOT endorse the use of a powercard, 310cc injectors, and a 4.0" pulley, BUT nobody I know who has done the "ghetto" race kit has actually blown their engine, so it may actually work....

gtolio
02-02-2012, 12:36 PM
DO NOT drive this car without a real tune or with a VAFC. You're just asking to blow your shit up, ESPECIALLY at Colorado altitude. Your guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Sell it and save up for Kpro if you can't afford it right now. Your trying to save a little money here is going to cost you a lot of money later.

PM me if you need to find a legitimate tuner. There are plenty around here.

AKEP
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
lol. vafc. get kpro. dont waste your money on that crap.

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 01:08 PM
VAFC = attack of the ROFLcopter...

gtolio
02-02-2012, 01:20 PM
VAFC = attack of the ROFLcopter...

I LOL'd.

http://gifs.gifbin.com/072009/1246621493_roflcopter-apocalypse_now.gif

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 03:23 PM
i know theres a small vac line for the powercard that im not using..i took the pics but havent had time to load em yet..i know the powercard is supposed to have a vac line that goes to a nipple on my JR IM that im not using that i capped to the one rite next to it that im not using either..there are 2 small nipples on the sc where it bolts to the tb..one goes to the bypass on the sc..i think the otherone was supposed to go to the IM nipple right next to the nipple for the powercard..i think? it seems logical that the blower would have a small vac line going from the TB side of the blower to the IM since the TPS sensor is right there and im having issues at part throttle..the problem is the instructions on JRSC website is for the newer blower..i have a gen 1 and mine has an extra nipple on the TB..the car drives fine unless im at 3/4 throttle, then it boggs down a little until i hit wot, then it pulls just fine..noone is trying to sell me the vafc i just know i need something and i dont have a powercard..the new powercards are cheap enough, but dont work on the gen 1 jrsc i have..i called JR and the black box one is 400 bucks..im not spending that much on a powercard. ill hopefully have a diagnostic ran on it in a few hours so i know what the ecu is reading. i know i need kpro. i know i need a tune. right now i just want to make sure everything is where its supposed to be. thanks guys..-joep

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/Joe_Powers/car.jpg

the hose im holding goes from the sc next to the TB to a nipple on the bypass valve, theres another nipple in front of this hose on the sc that is capped right now..i think its supposed to go to one of the nipples on the jr IM right above it..right now i have those 2 nipples on the manifold plugged with a small hose connecting them together. it seems logical that one of the IM nipples would connect to the nipple on the sc i capped..then just cap the nipple that the powercard would usually plug into?

ephatchback
02-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Definatly need some pics to help you out. If you want ill post a pic of mine to compare to. Only diffrece should be is mine has the map relocater
i would def like to see some pics of the throttle body vac lines....thankyou- joep

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 09:28 PM
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb198/dnewms/Car%20Stuff/100_0883.jpg

Brake booster and PCV valve are on the big ports closest to the TB (behind EVAP solenoid).

The bypass valve is hooked up to a small port, as is the MAP sensor (or PowerCard).

For this discussions sake... remaining ports are capped.

Your MAP sensor needs to see boost. It cant because its reading air PRIOR to being compressed by the charger.

You keep insisting something is wrong and dunno why you have no power... its because an engine cant make power on air alone. Since you dont have a Power Card, or a MAP sensor relocator, or KPro... your ECU has NO clue WTF is going on between the throttle body and the head. It has NO idea there is an SC... so it doesnt add FUEL. Youre running LEAN LEAN LEAN.

At this point you need to remove the SC until you can afford either a power card or KPro. If you dont you WILL blow your engine. Even if you only make 1psi... its too much. PERIOD.

Im not trying to be a smartass but i AM trying to instill in you the gravity of what you are doing WRONG. Im trying to save you $$$. You complain about having to buy a PowerCard or KPro... how bout replacing your engine? You cannot baby this around town. You cannot take it easy and hope for the best.

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
DO NOT drive this car without a real tune or with a VAFC. You're just asking to blow your shit up, ESPECIALLY at Colorado altitude. Your guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Sell it and save up for Kpro if you can't afford it right now. Your trying to save a little money here is going to cost you a lot of money later.

PM me if you need to find a legitimate tuner. There are plenty around here.

Listen to this man... please. He will not steer you wrong.

Ba82Ep3
02-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Just in case though... if you decide you need to SELL your charger for funds to rebuild your engine because you failed to accept our suggestions... LMK. Ill give you $850 as is... even if it chewed on a random valve or piston skirts.

superchargedk20
02-02-2012, 10:57 PM
damn this thing must be knocking like a mofo. U better take that supercharger off asap or buy a powercard atleast, Powercard cant be that expensive. Hit up my boy 04ep3hatch, he bought my old JRSC and I gave him the powercard. He just sold the JRSC to another member on here but get in contact with him, he might not still have the powercard or he can contact the guy he sold the kit to because I know the kid isnt runnin the powercard.

gtecd20
02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
yep agree with everyone get a freaken power card do this shit right cause in the end you will love the results of a proper SC engine i know i do cause i love beating newer SIs that think my ep3 sucks lol

gtolio
02-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Personally, I would not run a power card at 5900ft+, but it would still be better than what you're doing now. My advice is take the charger off until you can afford all of the parts. One of the parts is KPRO. Buy KPRO!

ephatchback
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
thanks guys..i have another car for dd..im leaving this thing parked until i get that powercard or at least get the the afr tuned w a piggyback..right now its misfiring on all cylinders..should i relocate the map sensor to the nipple on the new IM right now just to make sure its reading what actually going on? thanks guys..-joep

Ba82Ep3
02-04-2012, 07:10 PM
WOW. The OE ECU cannot add more than 25% fuel long term w/o setting off another CEL. This means you CANNOT just hook your MAP sensor up to a nipple on the SC manifold... you will still run LEAN. LEAN LEAN LEAN. No VAFC. I hear the oh so familiar sound of the approaching ROFLcopter...

YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO. YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO. YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO.

There is no way you can just plug anything up and make it work right now. You have another car... leave your EP alone until you get engine management.

:thumbu:

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
02-05-2012, 06:40 AM
WOW. The OE ECU cannot add more than 25% fuel long term w/o setting off another CEL. This means you CANNOT just hook your MAP sensor up to a nipple on the SC manifold... you will still run LEAN. LEAN LEAN LEAN. No VAFC. I hear the oh so familiar sound of the approaching ROFLcopter...

YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO. YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO. YOU NEED A POWER CARD OR KPRO.

There is no way you can just plug anything up and make it work right now. You have another car... leave your EP alone until you get engine management.

:thumbu:

Amen. Couldent have said it any better myself

Civic5lug
02-05-2012, 07:31 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/facepalmm.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=4881)
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/worfisfrustratedmz8.gif (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=977)

ephatchback
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
thanks everyone for all the help..all i have to go off is what ive been told..when i bough the sc i was told it would run fine w no powercard at 5 psi or lower..i was told by JR that it would blowup..im just trying to get as much info as i can from people that arent trying to sell me something, that have done the same things im trying to do.right now its parked...im going to get engine mngmnt asap and relocate the map and have it tuned..ill let you guys know how it goes..thankyou very much for all the help..im sure you guys probably saved my motor lol..thats why ive been on this forum for the last 10yrs..-joep

superchargedk20
02-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Of course whoever u bought it from told u it wouldn't blow up. They wanted to sell the damn thing

ephatchback
02-05-2012, 06:24 PM
i wasnt talking bad about the person i bought the sc from,he was more than honest and helpful when it came to the sale and build..i def got my moneys worth..hes a fellow ephatcher.. i was just saying every time i talk to jr tech guys they always tell me my cars gunna blow up tomorrow if i dont buy a 500 dollar part..i just dont want to get ALL my info from a salesman..ok...i found a local who let me wire up his old gen1 blackbox powercard to see how my car would run.i put in 1 step colder plugs and i relocated my map sensor as well...the car runs amazing, but it still misfires on all 4 when im at 3/4 throttle...any ideas? now im getting a bit frustrated..i still need to get my own powercard, but im realizing the misfire issue isnt a tuning issue..if it was misfiring at WOT i wouldnt be suprised, but it only does it a 3/4 throttle..when im WOT it scoots like hell and runs smooth..i remember having some trouble getting my stock fuel rail to sit snug w the bigger spacers, so i just used the stock phenolic spacers to get the rail/injectors in there..theres just too many variables to try and fix over the phone/internet...sorry to waste your guys time on this noob f*&^ing build/long ass posts..-joep

ephatchback
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
well holy shit..i started tracking vac lines today and found one that was sinply going from one unused nipple to another unused nipple from my JR mani to my TB..so i pulled the hose and capped both unused nipples, and whaddaya kno...car runs fine..today im going to local kpro dealer and getting it installed and tuned for afr till i can afford some more tuning time..thanks alot guys..sorry for all the obvious stupid shit questions..thanks for all the help..-joep