PDA

View Full Version : Ebay vs AEM Intake

02CivicSI-VTEC
01-05-2003, 01:18 AM
well guys what is the differents between these two intake?? they seem to work the same and sound? i dont know about that yet. which one will give out more power? well what do you guys think?
oh yeah for ya'll who have CAI do water get suck in during rainning season?? my buddie with an Rsx base got his SRI intake install and some how it got water sucked in and had to bring it back to the deal for repair. Do we need a Bypass?
I hate that gap under the fender where you could see through the whole rear engine and the filter hanging....

Suk02Si
01-05-2003, 04:25 AM
An intake is an intake. All short rams work the same, maybe the piping size on the ebay one is a diff diameter than the AEM, it will sound the same. I don't fear sucking up water through my CAI, mainly because it hardly rains here, but I don't drive through 2ft deep puddles when it does rain.

02blksi
01-05-2003, 01:42 PM
i thought the same as SUK, before i bought my AEM CAI, needless to say pipe diameter,design, materials used, filter element and length ALL MAKE HUGE differences in power output, The ebay special is good if your looking for minimal gain, and sound.. A CAI like injen or AEM or real "preformance" piece. And no im not just saying that because i have one, im saying that because i believe in saving a buck but not at the cost of performance. --Joe :)

Cone Killer
01-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 02blksi
The ebay special is good if your looking for minimal gain, and sound..

according to AEM's site (http://www.aempower.com/pdf/results/22-508_2002CivicSISRS.pdf) the Si they tested with the SRS gained 1.7 hp and 0.6 ft/lbs of peak power with the largest gains being 2.8 hp and 3.2 fl/lbs at 4,750 rpm.

My dyno shows that i netted a peak gain of 3.7 hp and 3.4 ft/lbs of torque, with the biggest horsepower and torque gains occurring at 5,700 rpm (5.7 hp and 5.1 ft/lbs) with my Ebay intake.

Considering I paid $50 AND I got more power, I got the better deal.

http://www.trailingsilence.com/dave/Dynos/intakedyno.gif

Si4U2NV
01-16-2003, 07:58 PM
CONE KILLER, i am 100% wit u on this one! i got the ebay intake too and itz AWESOME... the way i see it is y pay $100 or more EXTRA for a friggin AEM decal (that i can MAKE if i want) when the ebay intake is an EXACT replica and only ran me 45 buckz?! EBAY INTAKE ROCKS!!! (im 100% SATISFIED...) and the only thing that IS different is the filter...and i can buy a K&N filter whenever i want to...:D

-Mike

myeverlovinsir
01-16-2003, 08:08 PM
As long as your comparing SRI's then all the power to ya. I have had both on my current ride, and my previous 99 hatch. Knockoffs are great money savers when it comes to SRI's; no quibles there. CAI's are a diff. story and would not trade or even compare them to SRI's. I am not bias toward either, just happy to know what has worked for me.

team ERA 5
01-16-2003, 08:51 PM
yea baby EBAY INTAKES ..... u gotta love em hahah

taikahn
01-16-2003, 09:22 PM
what about carb numbers?

its not worth it

Dunrick
01-16-2003, 09:30 PM
Noob question, but wtf is a EBAY intake? Have something to do w/ ebay.com? Heh - help me out!!! thx

Tekdemon
01-17-2003, 01:31 AM
Dunrick they just mean a generic intake being sold on ebay...hence "ebay intake" =P

Lots of stuff on ebay...

I personally don't really care much about the CARB thing(of course I'm not in california either lol), but I can see why you might care if you live there.

ThickMick
01-17-2003, 06:34 AM
I was a bit skeptical at first, but I'm a believer now. I've had it going on 4 months now and haven't had any problems, have noticed significant gains and it sounds great when you want it to.

The only small complaint I do have is the fitiment issue. You have to play around with things to get it on right. Really no big deal at all, but if you want to be picky...

NamingException
01-17-2003, 08:30 AM
I have one of the eBay intakes too. It's been on for a few months and I haven't had any trouble with it. I see water splatters all over the filter, but I don't think it's anything to worry about.

I don't know about gains though. I don't have anything to base this on other than my own subjective experience, no dynos or anything, but sometimes I feel like it might have even caused me to lose power. I will probably put a CAI on, or even the stock airbox back on just to see, when the snow goes away and it gets warm outside again.

As ThickMick noted, it sounds great, if that's important to you, and there are some minor fitment issues. Nothing that a little finesse and muscle can't solve though.

jo3y
01-17-2003, 10:57 AM
I have an Ebay intake and am satisfied. I did swap the filter for a K&N cylinder filter though

my02si
01-17-2003, 04:02 PM
I am considering an Ebay intake. There are a few on there for like $40 with the yellow fittings. Is this a cold air intake?? or short ram? Is there a place to buy a CAI that is as cheap as the Ebay intakes, with as good quality?? Thanks for the help, Josh

myeverlovinsir
01-17-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by my02si
I am considering an Ebay intake. There are a few on there for like $40 with the yellow fittings. Is this a cold air intake?? or short ram? Is there a place to buy a CAI that is as cheap as the Ebay intakes, with as good quality?? Thanks for the help, Josh

For 40 bucks your not getting a CAI, welcome to SRI country! Quality is something you have to decide. Not much imho...but it will be an improvement over stock.;)