PDA

View Full Version : Noobie question about front audio speakers. (passive filters)

ttttrigg3r
02-05-2012, 02:25 AM
If I wanted to remove the bass freqs from my front speakers and tweeters, would an "inline high pass filter" be the answer?

jared07
02-05-2012, 10:44 AM
What is your current setup? If you are all stock then it's probably just time to upgrade :)

ttttrigg3r
02-05-2012, 01:02 PM
I only have an after market head unit (JVC KDR 600) and walmart amp/sub. I'm fine with my cheap amp and sub, but lately I've been listening to dubstep and I think they're blowing my front speakers apart. =[

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
02-06-2012, 08:50 PM
If you deck has a high pass filter you can use that to block bass, but yes you could install an inline high pass filter they are called bass blockers and you put them on the positive line either at the speaker or the back of the deck.

jared07
02-06-2012, 10:05 PM
You could look for a component amp and wire it in....most HIGHER quality brands have filters built in on the amp. I reccomend Fosgate...stay away from the prime series, the punch and power amps are where it's at. Alot of people also like alpine component amps. Quality amps let you set gain, frequency to each speaker, and have filters which let you control what goes where... and will really be the only thing that can do it precisely.

PatrickJamesYu
02-07-2012, 02:13 AM
Yeah I would amp the 'house' speakers too, use a crossover to split the signal to your needs.

ttttrigg3r
02-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Yeah I would amp the 'house' speakers too, use a crossover to split the signal to your needs.

What is 'house' speakers? Are you talking about the OEM speakers?

Thanks for all the answers. Couple more questions though.

Are "component amps" different from amps for subs?

Do you know of any aftermarket component speakers that will fit like stock and require no cutting? I've read that many aftermarket 6.5 speakers require spacers. My concern is after you install it, you can't put the door panel back on.

PatrickJamesYu
02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
What is 'house' speakers? Are you talking about the OEM speakers?

Thanks for all the answers. Couple more questions though.

Are "component amps" different from amps for subs?

Do you know of any aftermarket component speakers that will fit like stock and require no cutting? I've read that many aftermarket 6.5 speakers require spacers. My concern is after you install it, you can't put the door panel back on.

By house speakers I was just reffering to the speakers in the cabin, that's not the sub
So the mid's and highs.

Oh and whether it's oem or aftermarket, I'd amp them, they'd sound great once everything is dialed down and tuned
I'm not sure what "component" is referring to
Doesn't that just refer to the output plugs?

jared07
02-08-2012, 01:07 AM
Stock speakers will not handle power. A Multi Channel amp can handle 2, 4, and even up to 5 speakers. What I am doing is running a 4 channel amp, powering the door speakers, and bridging the channels 3&4 for powering a sub. Saves space in the car, and honestly you do not need to amp the rear speakers, they are just filler.

Spacers will make speakers fit...i used 3/4"mdf and cut rings and they work great.

ttttrigg3r
02-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Stock speakers will not handle power. A Multi Channel amp can handle 2, 4, and even up to 5 speakers. What I am doing is running a 4 channel amp, powering the door speakers, and bridging the channels 3&4 for powering a sub. Saves space in the car, and honestly you do not need to amp the rear speakers, they are just filler.

Spacers will make speakers fit...i used 3/4"mdf and cut rings and they work great.

Oh you can power your front speakers with the same amp? I never knew that. I thought that subs draw a lot of power, so if I amp front speakers with the same amp as I use for subs, I would blow the speakers. Thanks all.

jared07
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
Oh you can power your front speakers with the same amp? I never knew that. I thought that subs draw a lot of power, so if I amp front speakers with the same amp as I use for subs, I would blow the speakers. Thanks all.

Subs only recieve the power you give them...some subs take more power than others. to put out massive amounts of bass, while others do not take much power and will give you a balanced thump. Not necessarily, STOCK speakers will not handle more than 50 watts each...however aftermarket speakers (such as my alpine type r) are rated to 110W RMS. I am only pushing them at 74 watts each and trust me it is PLENTY of power.

For example...a Fosgate Punch P400.4 amp will push 74 watts to two speakers at 4 ohms. 74x4@4 ohm...at 2 ohms, it will give 123w power. So by saying that my front door speakers get 74 watts each and my sub BRIDGED (2 ohm) is getting the 2 ohm load with twice the power so 246 watts...I have a kicker solo classic and my max rms is 500 watts...250 is right in the middle and gives it plenty of punch. No your sub wont be as loud as it would be on say a mono 500 watt amp, but im not looking to shake everyone else's car in traffic.