PDA

View Full Version : jrsc on ep3...questions about ecu

freeme62410
02-05-2012, 12:25 PM
I have researched this but I can't find definite answers.. I am buying jrsc this week, but I do plan on swapping to type s or r engine soon. I knew I need Kpro but I am unsure if I should kpro my ep3ecu or get the 02-04 type s ecu. I plan on keeping my.5 speed tranny.. I found the type s ecu with Kpro already installed on Ebay (trusted seller), if I bought that, would I be able to just plug and play thatecu on my car and just use pre set settings for the supercharger or does hondata have to reflash it in order to run the supercharger on my a3 engine in the meantime?

Red_liner740
02-05-2012, 02:51 PM
hondata does no premade maps...they specify that they offer stock k20a2, k20a3 and k24a2 maps to be loaded....after that its up to you to tune it and load the maps how you see fit, whether through your personal tuning efforts, a shop, or online.

you can reuse any Kpro'd ECU with any of the K-series with major difference that the 5spd ECU's do not have a pinout for reverse lockout on 5spd transmission. So yes u can reuse your Kpro when u get the Type R motor.

freeme62410
02-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Ok so if I buy the prb w//Kpro already installed, in order to get the a3 base map on that ecu, would I have to send that in or can I do it from home?

Ba82Ep3
02-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Be careful where you buy KPro... there are Chinese knockoffs floating around... and you wont know it until you install it and have issues with it.

Ba82Ep3
02-19-2012, 09:04 AM
KPro allows you to install maps from your PC. There are instructions on KPro once you open the program... and there are even videos on Hondatas website to help you.

There are some JRSC KALs provided by Hondata already preloaded in the KPro software, but you have to see if it fits your setup, and then if so load it to your ECU.

freeme62410
03-06-2012, 07:44 PM
Be careful where you buy KPro... there are Chinese knockoffs floating around... and you wont know it until you install it and have issues with it.

yeah thanks! I'm ordering new from hondata tomorrow!

freeme62410
03-06-2012, 07:50 PM
another question. for now I have all the parts i need, and I'm ordering kpro tomorrow. I'm using the PRB ecu so when I do go k20a2 I have rlo. For now, is it ok to run the kpro'd prb on my stock a3 engine w/ i/h/e?? I'm aware that the prb does not have secondary runner control, is that a big deal or harmful to my a3 engine to not have that? and if I put the JRSC on the a3, will it matter then? I don't have the money to swap just yet, so I'm wondering if I can use the kpro until I do for some possible power gains now?

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2012, 08:44 PM
A PNF ECU and a PRB ECU can interchange maps (KAL's). BUT... the KAL has to follow the type of engine you have (its mostly a VTEC thing, the crossovers are different... which in turn affects EVERY ignition/fuel/cam angle map in the KAL. Its not just changing a number).

If you have a k20a3 with two lobe IN and one lobe EX cams... you cant run a k20a2 KAL with three lobe IN/EX cams. You have to run a k20a3 KAL. Now, a k20a3 KAL for the base RSX can be used, just turn off the secondary runners... but to simplify things, start off with a Civic k20a3 basemap.

freeme62410
03-06-2012, 09:03 PM
A PNF ECU and a PRB ECU can interchange maps (KAL's). BUT... the KAL has to follow the type of engine you have (its mostly a VTEC thing, the crossovers are different... which in turn affects EVERY ignition/fuel/cam angle map in the KAL. Its not just changing a number).

If you have a k20a3 with two lobe IN and one lobe EX cams... you cant run a k20a2 KAL with three lobe IN/EX cams. You have to run a k20a3 KAL. Now, a k20a3 KAL for the base RSX can be used, just turn off the secondary runners... but to simplify things, start off with a Civic k20a3 basemap. ok yeah I'm with you on all of the that, I was more concerned with the using of the a2 ecu on my a3, but I see now that neither of them use secondary runner control some I'm good. I was reading this on the order form and was concerned:
2002-2004 RSX Type S (PRB A03-A08, PRB-305 ECU). Should be used for a Type S. This ECU has reverse lockout and no secondary intake runner control
2002-2004 RSX (Base 5 speed) (PND -A0# ECU) Should be used for a Base. This ECU has secondary intake runner control and no reverse lockout
2002-2005 Civic Si (PNF) has neither reverse lockout nor secondary runner control. (from hondata order form)

but now I can see that I'm good. So no issues with running 5 spd tranny or anything else then?

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2012, 09:12 PM
Nah... 5 speed is fine. If anything a PRB ECU opens up more possibilities for you at a later time. (IE: addition of electronic lockout for a 6 speed trans with engine harness swap) The PNF works just as good, but when it comes time to swap in a 6 speed, you can only have mechanical lockout w/o electronic solenoid activation...