PDA

View Full Version : Maintance light will not go off

Reaper27
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
Alright guys, just like the title says my maintance light came on about a week and a 1/2 ago and will not go off. I change my oil every 5k miles with 5W-30 royal purple and have been doing so the whole three years I've had the car. I'm not due for another oil change for a little over 2k miles. When the light has come on in the past I've always reset it by using the button on the odometer and it's always worked but this time the light will go off for about a second and then come back on. I've tried everything from dislocated my battery to reset it to checking my oil levels (I was about a 1/2 quart low for some reason (probably in my catch can) so I added some till it was on the fill line and it still won't go off). Then tonight on my way to school I noticed that my idle was a little rough, it would go from about 900RPMs to about 1200RPMs and keep fluctuating. It only did it at two times when I was driving but it kinda concerned me. Anybody have any ideas or have this problem? Also would it be related to the maintainance light? I thought it was only connected to the odometer and came on about every 8k miles.

Reaper27
02-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Bump for help

T.White04EP3
02-07-2012, 05:42 PM
ok, with the igniition off press and hold the odometer button(it is on the instrument cluster), turn the ignition on but do not start the car, continue holding down the odo button until the maintanence light begins and ends flashing. turn ignition off, then start car to make sure it worked.
maintanence light fixed and idle problem may need tune up or adjust the throttle position and if you were running with defroster on will make car bog when it kicks on the compressor

RHCP0801
02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
maintenance light has nothing to do with the way the engine runs, it wont clear if you add oil or do any other maintenance. The only way it will clear is if you follow the step above this post.

Stupid question but are you sure it's the maint reqd light not the check engine light?

Reaper27
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Ok, well I got in my car this morning and the light just randomly went off. Idk, it was really weird. Yea it's the light the says maintenance req'd not the CEL.

AKEP
02-09-2012, 11:02 AM
what happened to me was i had my lights on. apparently you can't have parking lights on when you do this. it wont reset. weird. turned lights off and did it and lights went off.

Reaper27
02-09-2012, 02:31 PM
what happened to me was i had my lights on. apparently you can't have parking lights on when you do this. it wont reset. weird. turned lights off and did it and lights went off.

Thats really weird, that might have been why I couldn't ever get it to go off earlier. Idk, but its off now so oh well haha