PDA

View Full Version : 06 SI LSD install... transmission whine

LP640
02-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I just finished doing a k24a2 swap in my Ep3 and also put a 06 si LSD in the tranny. Took it out for drive today and it sounds like GT2 race car or WRC rally car. I haven't driven a new si but I'm pretty much certain the transmission isn't this noisy.
Sounds pretty much like this guys car I found on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzZ5DF9fco
I bought the LSD on K20a.org and it came with the ring gear which i didn't change as its the same size as the ep3 but I'm thinking this might be the problem - maybe off mesh a bit? Any one have any ideas on this?
I followed this DIY...
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-1003-wavetrac-lsd-installation/viewall.html

kincito
02-06-2012, 06:29 PM
Put Oil, like the video said.

LP640
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Put Oil, like the video said.

I used 1.7 Liters of Honda's MTF tranny oil. I'll check the level tomorrow again.

Ba82Ep3
02-06-2012, 07:06 PM
If you mix new and used parts... or used parts that are from two different trannies, you are gonna have differing wear patterns between the parts that will cause whine.

If you didnt shim the LSD per the manual, that can cause whine.

If you did all the above you can have even more whine. LOL

LP640
02-08-2012, 06:08 AM
If you mix new and used parts... or used parts that are from two different trannies, you are gonna have differing wear patterns between the parts that will cause whine.

If you didnt shim the LSD per the manual, that can cause whine.

If you did all the above you can have even more whine. LOL

Yeah I dunno what i was thinking when i left that ring gear on...lol anyway I'm gonna drop the tranny and pull it apart again. How hard is it to get it out while leaving the engine in and sub frame in place?

AKEP
02-08-2012, 08:23 AM
i have a little whine too. i'll re-shim it when i do my clutch again =/ - it just seems like a huge hassle to only pull the transmission, since thats how the motor mounts to anything. remember, the motor itself only has one mount on it. there is a stand you can buy or one you can make that holds the motor up while you pull the tranny. that would be much better. idk how to find it though, i've seen it. maybe ba82 can tell you. lol

Ba82Ep3
02-08-2012, 10:04 AM
I really need to get my desktop up and running. Im on my Droid and its a PITA to type a lot. Lemme get on my laptop.

LP640
02-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I watched type Spaz's YouTube k24 swap video and he takes the sub frame off and then pulls the tranny and then the engine using 2 jacks. which looks like a lot of work. And then there's the K-Series LSD install where they just support the engine with a hoist ...http://www.k-series.com/tech_document.php?id=38. I think getting it out this way would be ok but a bitch to line up getting it on again.

Ba82Ep3
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Its a nightmare with the engine in the bay. The trans sits right next to the drivers side frame rail... even if you take the mount off the trans... there isnt enough room to get the trans input shaft out of the engine to pivot it down and out. Thats with the subframe off.

Up with subframe on is even worse.

If you have a hoist and jackstands, just pull the engine and trans through the top with the car on the ground. Pull the axles first of course (header, wiring harness thru the firewall left attached to the engine, all the common stuff), remove the AC compressor (hoses attached) and bungie tie it to the subframe out of the way, pull the battery tray (4 bolts), loosen the front rad support so you can pull it forward as you lift the engine up, have a friend watch the AC line on the passenger side and another friend watch the brake reservoir on the driver side for clearance. Its a 2 hour job and saves you tons of frustration and headaches.

If you have access to a lift... drop the subframe with the front suspension (sans struts) and engine/trans attached. Done. lol

LP640
02-08-2012, 11:32 AM
I just done all that doing the swap. Nothing like doing things twice. should go faster the second time.

Ba82Ep3
02-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Oh it will. lol

It sucks there isnt a lot of room... that frame rail means business. I tried a lift with the passenger mount attached (everything else removed) and lowering the engine/trans with a transmission jack. It worked... but after all the BS and having to drop the subframe... it was honestly easier and saved time/money to pull the whole setup through the top (jackstands/hoist), or still sttached to the subframe (lift). It got to the point i could have a trans off the engine in less than 3 hours from first pump of the jack.

LP640
02-21-2012, 09:12 AM
So the engine and tranny have been out and back in again much faster this time and I took some pics of the ring gears and you can see there is a difference. Took it for drive yesterday and its all good now...k24a2 ftw love it!
The ep3 ring gear is on the left and 06+ Si on the right...
http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/2861/car036.jpg

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4149/car037.jpg

Ba82Ep3
02-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Yep... you can see the difference in the crown of each gear. Looks like a solid .5mm difference between the two...