PDA

View Full Version : Tire opinions

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 06:28 PM
Well it looks like ill be needing to replace my tires sometime this year. I currently have Dunlop Star Specs now. Although they are a great tire, i think they are a tad over kill for my street racing. I noticed that the side wall is softer than what i would like. Dont get me wrong, they are very sticky tires, only broke them loose a few times, but they don't provide the steering response that I'm looking for (i'm assuming its because its not a Z rated tire). Ive only managed to squeeze about 2.25 seasons out of them.

I am not sure if I really want something with anything less than 200 wear rating, as they tend to wear out quite fast with my aggressive alignment.

So I'm looking at a few different options.

1. BFG Gforce sport
2. BFG KDW 2
3. Falken 452
4. Dunlop Star spec

I don't think i'll need anything too extream, but i want something for when i really go through those gears.

Bottom line:
Steering response must be crisp (not mushy feel, stable at high speeds, not washy feel)
Good dry grip
Get more than 2 seasons out of them

Any experice with any of mentioned tires would be great, thanks!

cow
02-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Starspecs & Hankook Ventus RS3s are, among street tire autocrossers, the current best bang-for-buck tires available. From a grip & steering response point-of-view, the other tires you've mentioned are downgrades.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I think the RS-3's are way too soft. the star specs i have have already worn out and they are a 200 wear rated tire.

Thats the thing tho, I don't track my car all that much, just "canyon runs" and general spirited driving. So I'm not sure if I need this aggressive of a tire. When i do drive hard, it's to the limit, and i go a few times a week. I'm just wondering if I can justify a little overkill on tires?? I know i shouldent skimp out on tires, but i'm getting tired of having to buy rubber every 2 seasons.

whatsvtec
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
I have the re760 sport in 205/45 on some heavy as mo-fo wheels, tein basic, and progress rear sway. The car is lowered about 1.6 inches. For being stock other than I/RH/E, the car is really fun around turns and rotates really well. IDK how it performs at higher speeds near threshold (not trying to get in another accident :msmile: ) But I love the way they feel. Great turn-in stiffness and overall grip. Though they're not great for quick adjustments mid turn, also not a lot of squeal, they like to slide. They're pretty good for what they are, I imagine a larger tire (225 or 235) will be a better performing choice.

cow
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I'm of the "keep it on the track" school of thought, but that's neither here nor there.

I really don't have much input for what you're looking for, other than to wish you good luck.

I do recommend checking out Tire Rack's website & reading their reviews & customer reviews. You can filter them based on the type of driving you do & get ideas.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 06:57 PM
I have the re760 sport in 205/45 on some heavy as mo-fo wheels, tein basic, and progress rear sway. The car is lowered about 1.6 inches. For being stock other than I/RH/E, the car is really fun around turns and rotates really well. IDK how it performs at higher speeds near threshold (not trying to get in another accident :msmile: ) But I love the way they feel. Great turn-in stiffness and overall grip. Though they're not great for quick adjustments mid turn, also not a lot of squeal, they like to slide. They're pretty good for what they are, I imagine a larger tire (225 or 235) will be a better performing choice.

I'll have to look into those. Do they feel washy or mushy on the highway doing quick lane changes? I do plan on going up to a 225 from a 205, i'll prob have to shave my rear fenders.

Noise and comfor are not a priority to me. Sharpness, grip and value are. Thanks guys!

whatsvtec
02-06-2012, 06:58 PM
I'm of the "keep it on the track" school of thought, but that's neither here nor there.

I agree. It's definitely something to think about.
You don't want a bad situation to change your mind.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
I agree. It's definitely something to think about.
You don't want a bad situation to change your mind.

I agree as well, i just pick and choose my places very carefully.

Hasbro
02-06-2012, 07:24 PM
What size tires are you using?
What size wheels?
Are you on Megan Streets or Megan Tracks?

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 07:38 PM
What size tires are you using?
What size wheels?
Are you on Megan Streets or Megan Tracks?

I am currently on

Dunlop Star Specs 205/50/16 on a 16x7 rim
on Megan Streets

whatsvtec
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
Up the size on that! 225/50!

Hasbro
02-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Shit, on a new computer and just deleted a long post.

So, basically you want a stiffer sidewall with less grip! Interesting. From the sound of the way you drive are you sure you want to go to a less sticky tire. Sounds like you need a wider sticky tire!

Grassrootsmotorsports did a street tire test that didn't use extreme performance tires. I'll see if I can find it. Usually the stiffest tires are the extreme performance tires. Maybe someone who knows max performance summer can chime in. You might read the survey ratings on Tirerack.com, too. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP The best way to get a stiffer sidewall is to go to a 40 series but that means 17s. A Star Spec 40 series would feel much better than your 50s.

What kind of wear are you getting? What are your toe/camber specs? Too much toe and camber will reduce tread life significantly. Increasing caster can allow you to reduce negative camber and give you better straight line grip/braking while increasing camber in the corners.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Shit, on a new computer and just deleted a long post.

So, basically you want a stiffer sidewall with less grip! Interesting. From the sound of the way you drive are you sure you want to go to a less sticky tire. Sounds like you need a wider sticky tire!

Grassrootsmotorsports did a street tire test that didn't use extreme performance tires. I'll see if I can find it. Usually the stiffest tires are the extreme performance tires. Maybe someone who knows max performance summer can chime in. You might read the survey ratings on Tirerack.com, too. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP The best way to get a stiffer sidewall is to go to a 40 series but that means 17s. A Star Spec 40 series would feel much better than your 50s.

What kind of wear are you getting? What are your toe/camber specs? Too much toe and camber will reduce tread life significantly. Increasing caster can allow you to reduce negative camber and give you better straight line grip/braking while increasing camber in the corners.

Shit that blows haha.

Well not nessisarily less grip, just a bit better wear, which i guess is an oxymoron lol.

Can't remember my exact alignment specs, but camber is -1.5 or -2 (to clear my fender) and fron i think is -1.5. Toe should be as close to 0 as possible i believe.

Going up in rim size would help, but 17's just don't seem to look right to me. I'll definitely be stepping up to a 225.

Anyone run a 225 and have clearabce issues?

whatsvtec
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
Anyone run a 225 and have clearabce issues?

Offset on that 16x7? It seems that you shouldn't have issues with fitment, but that's just speculation based on stock ET and moderate drop

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 09:01 PM
Offset on that 16x7? It seems that you shouldn't have issues with fitment, but that's just speculation based on stock ET and moderate drop

35 something? Something very close to stock if not stock. And i'm lowered quite a bit.

Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110??

Hasbro
02-06-2012, 09:22 PM
35 something? Something very close to stock if not stock. And i'm lowered quite a bit.

Has anyone tried the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110??

Shouldn't be a problem.

Also keep in mind and I'm generalizing but the lower performance tire you go (the higher UTQG) the narrower the tread will be. The width is measured at widest point of sidewall. A Toyo R888 (140 UTQG) will have a wider tread than, say a T1R (280 UTQG) of "equal size".

Also, the widest recommended wheel for a specified tire is going to make the sidewall it's stiffest.

Slip_Angle
02-06-2012, 09:32 PM
The Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 is a great tire. I went from a Star Spec to this tire and am happy with them (I haven't been autocrossing anymore)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 09:36 PM
The Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 is a great tire. I went from a Star Spec to this tire and am happy with them (I haven't been autocrossing anymore)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests

It gets a good rating, but they say it has a "soft" feeling, which is what i'm not looking for.

Slip_Angle
02-06-2012, 09:50 PM
It gets a good rating, but they say it has a "soft" feeling, which is what i'm not looking for.

Well compared to the Star Spec, it's soft but I can't see finding a tire that is hard like the star spec that isn't in a similar wear category.

rd02SiR
02-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Well compared to the Star Spec, it's soft but I can't see finding a tire that is hard like the star spec that isn't in a similar wear category.

Personally, I found the Star Specs to feel soft. Maybe I have some bushings going bad??