PDA

View Full Version : Black Housing Headlights!

DownTheHatch
07-20-2002, 07:56 PM
I had a dream, a dream to change my headlights to black housing. And I have fullfilled this dream today. Okay enough with the post-modern folklore, yea it took me like 5 hours but I did a pretty solid job, and...let me tell you, it looks badass.

The pictures speak for themselves.

The headlight barely fit into my oven, but please take notice the first headlight I put in I forgot to put it on a cooking pan this left the bottom of the first headlight slightly warped, however the second time I used a pan and absolutely nothing happened to the headlight, it came out and I basically pulled the pieces apart, it was easy as pie.

Painting was pretty straightforward, mask off the turn signal and parking light then spray. I used a fast drying flat black paint with 1 coat.

Sealing the headlight was a good idea too so I picked up some auto clear silicone to seal it up with, this stuff dries and you don't even see it, one note to take is not to seal the side of the headlight, the side with the turnsignal, this is not necessesary because this part doesn't make contact with the seal and you can see the silicone, I did this on the first headlight not the second, as you can tell the second one came out better than the first because I knew what NOT to do.

Basically there's a few things to remember, when you remove the clear plastic headlight cover, set it aside, when I say aside I mean go put it on your bed sheets so you don't get anything on it, I set it down on some newspaper that had sealant on it and needless to say it got stuck to the headlight, I got it to come off with a little gasoline on a paper towel but it's better to put the plastic cover in a better place from the start. Okay what else, oh yea use a cooking sheet when baking your headlight, and do not preheat the oven, just put it on 250 degrees and only for 5 minutes, do not go over 5 minutes that is over kill. I was pretty confident on the second headlight I stuck it in set the timer and only came back to it at 5 minutes, the first headlight I kept checking cause I was paranoid.

Thats about it, just remember to take your time don't rush, a little extra time spent masking will make a big difference in the final outcome, oh yea when you mask, make sure to press around the edges good so it makes a nice seal.

This is by no means my "How-To" I plan on writing that up later on.

And as usual it got dark and started raining before I could snap any good pictures but first thing tomorrow I'm grabbing my digital and getting some nice shots, you won't believe how good these look.

After I was done I decided to paint over my orange reflectors, I painted them black I didn't snap any photos but tomorrow you'll see. I also pulled off my chrome H emblem to finish off the make-over. Next is my H&R springs :)

Here is the link to my pictures:Black Housing Headlights (http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=1&smi=1&a=83498)

02TafWhtSi
07-20-2002, 08:05 PM
Wow! Really nice job Down! I wish I had the patience to go through something like that but the finished product speaks for itself - looks so much meaner and angrier now - I love it!:D

BlazeX12
07-20-2002, 08:41 PM
Even though its hard to see in that pic, you can tell it looks nice!! Good Job!! Wanna do mine??? j/k

02SilverSiHB
07-20-2002, 08:59 PM
awsome job!
I think I'll go paint mine gunmetal :D

OrganDonar 8=D
07-20-2002, 09:53 PM
finally!! i was waiting for someone to do it so my car wouldn't be the test subject. well anyway, pretty damn good job winging it.
can't wait for the pictures tomorrow to see it in the daylight. also will be looking forward to the "how to"

IceD out N CALI
07-20-2002, 10:29 PM
DOWNTHEHATCH you are the man!!!! Cant wait to see the pics of the entire car with it. Looks nice so far...Now I gotta do mine

Pradamuimui
07-21-2002, 12:22 AM
Looks good, and you did a REALLY AWESOME JOB...but...I think that I will wait for the JDM ones, that way I dont screw up my stock ones!!!!

RacingCivicSi02
07-21-2002, 01:31 AM
Looks good. Good Job

cleanblack2002
07-21-2002, 05:31 AM
Wow, Impressive! I like them a lot :D

MagusDC5
07-21-2002, 06:46 AM
That is hot. Dude I talked to yesterday said he was quoted around 600 something for CTR lights for his Si. Definitely a great alternative.

Myself, when I cleared my lights on my EM2, i left some smudges which look retarded, stupid me....so for my DC5 im just gonna spend the money for the JDM lights knowing me and my big fingers would leave smears. :(

chenchao
07-21-2002, 09:23 AM
That looks really rad!!! DOWNTHEHATCH is the man for having the guts to be one of the first to do it. Can't wait for your "how to"

xlr8
07-21-2002, 09:49 AM
im going to go look for some of that blue masking tape and then ill be doing mine. great job down excelent results

DownTheHatch
07-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Here are the pics you've been waiting for :)

Click Here (http://www.onlineshowoff.com/index.asp?section=profile&username=DOWNTHEHATCH)

IceD out N CALI
07-21-2002, 01:07 PM
That looks nice, I gotta do my lights like that. Makes the car look way better.

DownTheHatch
07-21-2002, 03:07 PM
The How-To is completed! Go to www.ephatch.com/news.shtml

The is also some more news added.

HondaMan
07-21-2002, 03:58 PM
That's awesome DownTHeHatch! *big thumbs up*

Probably more work than I'm willing to do but you never know; I might get off my lazy butt some day and just do it. ;)

Mulder
07-21-2002, 07:06 PM
Sweet... very nice.

SBC31
07-21-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
The How-To is completed! Go to www.ephatch.com/news.shtml
Sweet stuff my friend, great work on the "How to" document. So if I go down to Florida, will you paint mine for me....:D

DownTheHatch
07-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Sure thing, tonight was a good night for testing condensation. I'm happy to say the first headlight I completely sealed is good, the second one I didn't seal the left side of the headlight because you can see it, well it had a little condensation. I'll have to completely seal it even though you can see the silicone. Other than that no problems. :)

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 08:41 AM
Are the Type R headlight housing black or gunmetal?

DownTheHatch
07-22-2002, 12:56 PM
I think they are gunmetal, but its more like a dark metallic grey that is just as shiney as the chrome, I have no idea how to replicate that finish.

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 01:18 PM
DownTheHatch,

I was planning on using the TAMIYA brand modelling spray paint. They have the Gun metal color and it comes out shiny. Don't get me wrong though, it looks great on your car.

IceD out N CALI
07-22-2002, 01:23 PM
hey iwerks if you do use the gunmetal please post pics i'd like to see how that looks also

i-WERKS
07-22-2002, 01:50 PM
no problem, I'll just have to work up the courage to bust apart my car like that.

SmoothOperator
07-22-2002, 08:26 PM
Whoa, what an improvement! Looks much better!
My only reservation, is that the sidemarkers stick out like a sore thumb! Wonder what it'd look like if you painted part of those black too. Just like a 0.5" outline in black.

DownTheHatch
07-22-2002, 08:29 PM
Well there is a black border around the turnsignal, just like the type-r. I think it looks good :)