PDA

View Full Version : Oily/Fuely Smell??

RETROCRX
02-09-2012, 07:53 AM
OK here's the specifics:
2004 Canadian Model SiR
Stock everything

Here's the problem:
I get an oily/gassy smell when I sit stationary. The car does not smoke, use oil in any way, still runs smooth and pulls as hard as it ever has. Smell is worse if I come to a stop from a reasonable speed it I blip the throttle for heel and toe downshifts. Car does not leak oil at all either.

I'm suspecting something in the PCV circuit has come disconnected and I'm smelling the crank case vent. Is there any history of this type of problem from these cars? I've had this issue before on an on VW my wife used to have, same symptoms, same smell.

Any ideas??

TIA

Rob

whatsvtec
02-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I used to notice a weird smell after driving hard then sitting stationary. Try changing the PCV valve, I haven't smelled anything since I changed mine.

RHCP0801
02-09-2012, 11:26 AM
got a pic of the pcv that we need to replace?

whatsvtec
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
I'll grab one a little later. It was hard to find at first, not so easy like your typical PCV. It's located on the vacuum block, left side of the engine.

RHCP0801
02-09-2012, 12:11 PM
ok cool, thanks

whatsvtec
02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Sorry it took a bit longer. Here's a dark picture, but it shows the PCV valve, don't lose your crush washer! I did :tehe: and ended up replacing it with a GM oil tight washer.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b45/tlhfya/IMG00045-20120210-1747.jpg

RHCP0801
02-10-2012, 04:36 PM
thanks for the picture!

whatsvtec
02-10-2012, 04:46 PM
No problem! It took me a while to find it, I'm glad I can help out others so they don't stare at their engine bay for 15 minutes feeling dumb.

RHCP0801
02-10-2012, 09:36 PM
where did you order it from? I have an oily smell occasionally too so I'm thinking I should replace it

whatsvtec
02-11-2012, 12:03 AM
I just picked it up aftermarket from my local autozone/advanced

RETROCRX
02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the pic.......in my case I traced the hose from the PCV and noticed that it was disconnected at the intake manifold, so in my case.....reattached it and problem solved.

Thanks again

Rob

RHCP0801
02-13-2012, 02:36 PM
I just picked it up aftermarket from my local autozone/advanced

so you just went to the parts area and asked for a pcv valve for an ep3? remember the price? trying to think if its cheaper there or at honda

whatsvtec
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
so you just went to the parts area and asked for a pcv valve for an ep3? remember the price? trying to think if its cheaper there or at honda

It was like 10 bucks, I just looked it up in the parts catalog.

rd02SiR
02-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Hmm I've never done mine and I have 180k km's. I should probably do this eh?

Sent from my awful auto correcting iPhone using Tapatalk

whatsvtec
02-13-2012, 06:50 PM
Hmm I've never done mine and I have 180k km's. I should probably do this eh?

It won't hurt. Though if the engine has seen frequent oil changes on good oil, you might not have nothing to worry about.
A good way to check is to take it off and shake it back and forth. There's a ball back inside, if it moves back and forth freely(it makes a ticking sound) then you probably don't have to change it. A friend of mine cleaned his instead of replacing it, using brake parts cleaner. (any heavy solvent will work) It works just fine and runs better still. Now I wish I saved my old one instead of hucking it in the trash.

rd02SiR
02-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I'll give it a try. I use Amsoil and change it about every 5000km or so.

rd02SiR
02-14-2012, 06:48 AM
So I did this lastnight. Hardest part was getting that little fuckin hose off with out screwing it up.

Got the pcv valve out, gave it a shake and I can hear the inside moving. Doused it in brake cleaner since it was already out. Not much was in there. But nice to know it was ok.

whatsvtec
02-14-2012, 04:08 PM
You'll be in the clear with amsoil and that frequent of changes! :wow: I only change oil twice a year, 5k miles on avg.

rd02SiR
02-14-2012, 08:06 PM
Ya I think I'm going to start extending my oil change intervals. Amsoil says it's good for up to 25,000 miles, or one year, but I don't really trust anything in there for more than 5k lol.

whatsvtec
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Well, to give you a little peace of mind. My fathers 1998 Chevy Pickup(4.3 v6) has been running on amsoil it's whole life. Once a year oil changes and twice yearly filter changes (until recently when amsoil released Ea yearly filters). It has over 250k miles after being changed only once yearly it's whole life, the engine still looks spotless inside when you pull the oil cap, and the oil never looks too bad when he changes. It still runs like a top. Because of this, I will always use Amsoil for my cars, and will follow their recommendations when it comes to intervals. There's a reason their oil is expensive, it's THAT good.

I've honestly thought about becoming a franchise owner. Think of how many lazy/non-technical people would love the idea of "yearly" oil changes. Though, most people probably don't change their oil more often that that with synthblend or conventional.. :mrolleyes:

rd02SiR
02-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Holy crap that's some good results! That def gives me some piece of mind. I'm picking up a case of ASL and an Ea filter.

I consider I my car goes through "severe" conditions, hard driving, -40 to +40 Celsius. So I'll keep taking a look once in a while. I'll try to extend my intervals to 15-20k km, which i think is on the lower end ofthe spectrum.

My oil always comes out dirty. Never golden or amber after 5000km. I usually try to pour a clean half qt to full qt to get the residual old oil, but 5000k km later it's def pretty dark. I've been using Amsoil for about 4 maybe 5 years now.