PDA

View Full Version : Coil-Over Sleeves vs shorter Springs

Mad02Si
01-05-2003, 10:44 AM
I just got done watching 2nr Tv on TNN and they dropped a 02 Si with some skunk 2 Sleeves the spring looked really short and I was wondering what the pros and cons are of those things versus just getting some shorter springs. Besides the adjustability factor how is the ride? And is there danger of spring hop with such a short spring?

swampdonkey
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
the dowsides of these are
1) Terrible Ride
2) Not enough droop travel
3) Smashing Bumpstops

Everything I've ever read about these says not to get them becasue they are hell on your suspenssion. Now A real coilover system with firmer struts and good springs is great but these collar, sleeve and spring systems really suck. You get what you pay for.

i-WERKS
01-06-2003, 11:19 AM
I have no complaints what so ever with my skunk2s.
Ride is stiffer than stock but isn't that what you want when changing the springs?
I use to hit the bump stops when I had the springs for 2001+ civic's but since I changed it to the RSX springs, It's all good.

Mad02Si
01-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by swampdonkey
the dowsides of these are
1) Terrible Ride
2) Not enough droop travel
3) Smashing Bumpstops

Everything I've ever read about these says not to get them becasue they are hell on your suspenssion. Now A real coilover system with firmer struts and good springs is great but these collar, sleeve and spring systems really suck. You get what you pay for. Could Some of the issues you bought up be worked out with custom spring rates? I would love to be able to afford the Tein system, or maybe Jic Magic but I dont think i'll have that kinda cash. I just wanted to get knowledge on all my possible options before I just ordered springs and let it be. I have this thing about being as low as possible without hurting any of the underlying parts on my car. A stiff ride is cool with me cause I like to be able to wip my car thru traffic if necessary.

swampdonkey
01-08-2003, 10:56 AM
you could get custom spring rates or there are even some sring makers that will modify stock springs....not by cutting them but by heating them and winding them tighter but I can't remember what companies do that. I heard of people cheating at MR2 autocrosses by having their spring rates increased in this way. Because they would be able to run in the stock class and the springs looked pretty much the same. Have you ever seen a set of sleeve and spring coilovers used in SCC or any other car mags project car to improve handling? I haven't. I have seen aftermarket springs and I have seen full coilover systems. If I were you I would go with springs, the don't adjust for height but I think they are better. Either way the springs are going to be too short for the stock struts. I'm not going to do anything to mine untill I can get both springs and struts.

swampdonkey
01-08-2003, 11:07 AM
sorry I just realized I didn't answer any of your questions......I think you could keep it from hitting bumpstops with higher spring rates but the ride will get worse. I think I would drop the car a MAX of 1.5 inches if I really wanted to drop it. I have my MR2 dropped 1.6 inched on Eibach springs and KYB AGX adjustable struts and the car looks LOW. It rides fantastic but before I got stiffer struts the ride really sucked.

Mad02Si
01-09-2003, 07:39 AM
I was just wondering, cause I'm kinda set on the Neuspeed Race springs and then getting Koni's later when I can afford them. Just wanted a little more info on this whole sleeve thing. If I had an extra 1200 I would get the Tien Set but I can still dream.