PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed into Ep3? - yes i've searched.. please hear me out.

cyllarus
02-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Hey guys,

I've done plenty of reading on 5 speed vs 6 speed tranny's and just want to confirm rock solid before i spend any money. I'd just like some confirmation from you true gurus of the ep3 to make sure there is nothing that i've missed.

A 6 speed tranny is a direct bolt on to an a3 and bolt up to ep3 chassis?
no modification of halffshafts/ mounts / clutch / throwout bearing / speed sensor shift cables etc.

the only modification i will need to make is to my shift assembly to allow it to make it over into 6th.

car will run fine, the only thing that wont work is the 6th speed lockout function of the tranny

install wise its just un-bolt - re bolt..

did i miss anything?

Anyone who has swapped the 6 speed onto a stock A3 have any suggestions of things i need to watch out for?

whatsvtec
02-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Did you really search?

Some cars require the shifter to be "knotched" in order for reverse gear to work(great time to upgrade to BCSS). RSX 6 speed should be a direct bolt in, fa/fg 6 speed is a little more complicated and requires a VSS converter you can get through hybrid racing. It's a few hundred dollars though.

RhINoX^
02-14-2012, 04:28 PM
02-04 type S bolts right up.06-11 fg2/fa5 need more work and the VSS converter.
Check this thread http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?308822-diy-k20z3-swap-into-ep3
Read the part for the Z3 tranny (06-11 si).

MajorJones
02-14-2012, 05:10 PM
You look pretty set my man. Good luck.

Ba82Ep3
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
You can actually drill and tap the hole for our VSS in the z3 tranny. The hole is already in the casting.

Dont forget the shift shaft assy is backwards on the z3 trans... and the base is different. Between the z3 shift shaft assy and the ep shift shaft assy you have everything you need combined to make a 6 speed assy with mechanical reverse lockout (not electric via solenoid).

philthys2000
02-14-2012, 07:02 PM
spend money dude if i could spend that cash for 6 speed i would

Euro-Yellow-Ep3
02-14-2012, 08:02 PM
i have a kid that needs my trany for his turbo build and im going to trade him my 5 speed for his 6 speed, straight up lol

cyllarus
02-14-2012, 08:45 PM
.. yes i really searched...

and sorry i should have been more clear. I am looking at a 6spd from a dc5 type s. I've read about the notch needed for getting into reverse. I have a nuespeed short throw shifter so am hoping that the neuspeed shifter will not need to be notched to get into reverse.

searching has turned up some write ups and pics. but i still dont see anything super clear..

will just have to hope that it makes sense once i get in there and do it.

whatsvtec
02-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Should be a bolt in done deal. What year ep3 do you have? The knotch of the shifter has nothing to do with the neuspeed attachment.

cyllarus
02-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I've got a '02.

Reading says that the '02 and '03 s dont need to have the shift assembly notched to get into reverse.

lets hope that i get that lucky.

looks like i will be doing this. will take pics and weave it into a write up.

whatsvtec
02-15-2012, 11:51 AM
I've got a '02.

Reading says that the '02 and '03 s dont need to have the shift assembly notched to get into reverse.

lets hope that i get that lucky.

looks like i will be doing this. will take pics and weave it into a write up.

It's more likely that you won't have to since you're 02-03, however it's kinda hit or miss.

USAF EP3
02-15-2012, 02:49 PM
You don't need to spend hundreds on a VSS converter.

Search on K20A.org, PAPITUYO has a write-up on using Dakota Digital's VSS converter box, Mine was less than $90 shipped. With some repining your VSS plug clip and MINOR splicing you will have a perfectly working speedometer and working EPS.

I installed a 2008 CSX-S 6-speed tranny (Canadian SI counterpart) into my EP3 and I had NO problems with fitment. the axle splines and everything is identical. Just need to convert the speed signal from the 3rd gear ring which is is located on the front side of the transmission housing. Also, like they said before, you need to use your EP3 shift lever OR buy an RSX-S shift lever like I did because my tranny didn't come with the lever installed.

If you want to install the converter box, I can help you step by step what I did just hit me up and I can PM you my phone number.

AKEP
02-17-2012, 01:50 PM
the notch i never found anything about, i guess you'll see it when you install it (im guessing its the mechanism on the transmission?) theres also a shifter mod that lets the shifter move over more to the right for reverse. you pull out the shifter and shave off a piece, i'll show you if i can find a good picture of the shifter. or get a Buddy Club Short Shifter instead.

cyllarus
03-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Ok guys, to resurrect this thread...

the poop has got a bit deeper now. I'm doing a full k24a2 swap along with this 6spd swap.

So here is my question.. (and yes i've searched for this too, but will keep searching)

I bought Pooptooths Kpro to run the k24 and his Kpro was based on an RSX-s 6spd ECU. The tranny I am getting is also based on the RSX-S

So the Ecu has the pinout to run the reverse lockout, if i can wire it up correctly. Does anyone know of a write up on how to do this?

I know the ECU cant push alot of amps, so maybe you have to wire a relay to deliver power to the reverse lockout solenoid. anyone know?

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Get an RSX-S engine bay harness. The ECU just triggers the solenoid...

sleepy ep3
03-06-2012, 06:08 PM
You don't need to spend hundreds on a VSS converter.

Search on K20A.org, PAPITUYO has a write-up on using Dakota Digital's VSS converter box, Mine was less than $90 shipped. With some repining your VSS plug clip and MINOR splicing you will have a perfectly working speedometer and working EPS.

I installed a 2008 CSX-S 6-speed tranny (Canadian SI counterpart) into my EP3 and I had NO problems with fitment. the axle splines and everything is identical. Just need to convert the speed signal from the 3rd gear ring which is is located on the front side of the transmission housing. Also, like they said before, you need to use your EP3 shift lever OR buy an RSX-S shift lever like I did because my tranny didn't come with the lever installed.

If you want to install the converter box, I can help you step by step what I did just hit me up and I can PM you my phone number.
Can't you just run the VSS converter from Hybrid racing? I'm pretty sure thats what its for.

Get an RSX-S engine bay harness. The ECU just triggers the solenoid...
Can you run an RSX-S harness on a ep3 ECU? I've been wanting to wire up the reverse lockout for some time now, and have been wondering how you could do this

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Can you run an RSX-S harness on a ep3 ECU? I've been wanting to wire up the reverse lockout for some time now, and have been wondering how you could do this

Im doing it right now. 05 PNF (KPro'd EP3) ECU on an 04 RSX-S engine harness. Plugs in the same. My situation is different only because i have a conversion harness to incorporate my chassis to the ECU... but that doesnt alter the engine harnesses functionality.

Since he has an RSX-S ECU... all he needs is the RSX-S engine harness to operate the solenoid for electronic lockout. I think the only variation that would matter is if its an 05 up RSX-S ECU/engine harness compared to the 02-04.

sleepy ep3
03-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Im doing it right now. 05 PNF (KPro'd EP3) ECU on an 04 RSX-S engine harness. Plugs in the same. My situation is different only because i have a conversion harness to incorporate my chassis to the ECU... but that doesnt alter the engine harnesses functionality.

Since he has an RSX-S ECU... all he needs is the RSX-S engine harness to operate the solenoid for electronic lockout. I think the only variation that would matter is if its an 05 up RSX-S ECU/engine harness compared to the 02-04.

Yes, but you're running an 05 ecu, mine is an 03. Difference?

Ba82Ep3
03-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Nah. PNF ECU's dont vary from 02-05. I dont remember the exact difference but there is a difference between 02-04 and 05 up RSX-S ECU's (pin out variation). Something with the switch to the k20z1...? I havent had to research that ish for two years now so its been a while... lol

USAF EP3
03-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Yes you could use the Hybrid Racing VSS converter for $200 and still have to do the splicing. On top of that, if you read their description on the product, they say their calibration of the converter is based on a 15" wheel. So if OP is running anything bigger the speed of the cluster will be slightly off.

With the Dakota Digital converter, you can fully calibrate the converter yourself with the buttons located on it for smaller or bigger wheels if you ever decide to change...and it's over $100 cheaper...so why not?

cyllarus
03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Looked into the rs-s engine harness. Kinda hard to find, and might wait on it b/c the swap is already getting pricey right now.

I think at first i will just run an individual wire from the correct pin to the lockout and see what happens. If this is dirty and/or does not work, i will buy an rsx harness a bit down the road.

will post up the process and how it goes.

sleepy ep3
03-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Nah. PNF ECU's dont vary from 02-05. I dont remember the exact difference but there is a difference between 02-04 and 05 up RSX-S ECU's (pin out variation). Something with the switch to the k20z1...? I havent had to research that ish for two years now so its been a while... lol

I asked about this on K20A.org, and they state that its not possible to do this, due to the pnf not supporting having the reverse lockout to begin with. Harness won't do anything with out the signal

Ba82Ep3
03-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Thats my bad. The OP has an RSX-S ECU so an RSX-S harness will give him electronic lockout with a solenoid equipped 6 speed trans.

When you asked if the RSX-S harness would plug up to a PNF ECU i was focused on the fitment and functionality. With my brain in gear for the OP's questions, the latter half of your post didnt even register. :mconfused:

I asked about this on K20A.org, and they state that its not possible to do this, due to the pnf not supporting having the reverse lockout to begin with. Harness won't do anything with out the signal

Youre right. Electronic lockout cannot be done (PnP anyways) with a PNF ECU and RSX-S wiring harness. The two DO work together (PnP) for all other engine functions (which is what im doing, i have mechanical lockout in my 6 speed). You would need an ECU that was native for the 6 speed electronic lockout ability.

I cant believe i let that slip by... geez. LOL

USAF EP3
03-07-2012, 02:05 PM
Looked into the rs-s engine harness. Kinda hard to find, and might wait on it b/c the swap is already getting pricey right now.

I think at first i will just run an individual wire from the correct pin to the lockout and see what happens. If this is dirty and/or does not work, i will buy an rsx harness a bit down the road.

will post up the process and how it goes.

I've seen AWHILE ago here on the forums of a person who ran a wire a live wire to the solenoid, then wired it to a hot switch in the cabin.

Essentially, he would flip the switch whenever he would start driving, then when he would need to park or reverse he would flip the switch off.

There's nothing "dirty" about it, but it definitely is an inconvenience. I've been driving 6-speed with no lockout for over a year now, and you have to be an idiot to shift into reverse from 5th..