PDA

View Full Version : Serpentine Belt/Idler Pulleys

epcivicboy08
02-14-2012, 04:59 PM
What's up guys,

My ep is getting near the 100k mile mark and I wanted to change the serpentine belt. I've read on other threads that changing the 2 idler pulleys is also a good idea as with time they can start to make whining noises.

Based on diagram, are we talking about parts #4 and #7?

AttarixEp
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
7 is correct, 4 though is just the pulley for the auto tensioner. When the auto tensioner goes bad or makes noise, it is usually because the tensioner spring gets weak. I would suggest 2, which is the whole tensioner and pulley.

AKEP
02-14-2012, 11:36 PM
yeah, get a new idler pulley. that bitch is about to go out.

epcivicboy08
02-15-2012, 03:48 PM
Cool. Thanks for the help.

iDom
02-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Mine is doing this same thing, and I am planning a swap here in the next month. The engine I'm getting doesn't come with the alternator/pulley's, so I was going to use mine. So just getting #2 on the parts list will be everything I need?

AttarixEp
02-20-2012, 05:49 PM
Mine is doing this same thing, and I am planning a swap here in the next month. The engine I'm getting doesn't come with the alternator/pulley's, so I was going to use mine. So just getting #2 on the parts list will be everything I need?

#2 looks like it covers the whole tensioner assembly so I would day you're safe.

02_epdriver
02-25-2012, 07:52 PM
Within a two day period my idle pulley went bad the washer/bearing bent up and it was making a horrible sound. That night I drove slow home and about 4 miles from a family members house the noise went away but to find out the belt snapped especially since the battery light came on since the alternator quit spinning and the temp gauge shot up since the water pump had no rotation. I ordered a new idle pulley and hardware and a new auto tension system. Since they were the originals and my EP has 193k on it. I'm replacing all that tomorrow.

SkareKrow
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Within a two day period my idle pulley went bad the washer/bearing bent up and it was making a horrible sound. That night I drove slow home and about 4 miles from a family members house the noise went away but to find out the belt snapped especially since the battery light came on since the alternator quit spinning and the temp gauge shot up since the water pump had no rotation. I ordered a new idle pulley and hardware and a new auto tension system. Since they were the originals and my EP has 193k on it. I'm replacing all that tomorrow.

Did.it sound like this

http://youtu.be/bQDOUr1TVqE

~§kareKrow
»»{":;,,,;:"}«« using HTC Evo 4G!

iDom
02-26-2012, 04:58 PM
^ That's what mine sounds like.. Not that bad though, only around cold idle RPM's (1,500ish) and when I slip the clutch from a stop and start accelerating. I am going to replace mine as well.

Oh yea, I have 170k on mine.. So, I can't say i'm very surprised.

SkareKrow
02-26-2012, 05:07 PM
^ That's what mine sounds like.. Not that bad though, only around cold idle RPM's (1,500ish) and when I slip the clutch from a stop and start accelerating. I am going to replace mine as well.

Oh yea, I have 170k on mine.. So, I can't say i'm very surprised.

lol. Im at my 2nd one at almost 170k :-D

~§kareKrow

02_epdriver
02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Did.it sound like this

http://youtu.be/bQDOUr1TVqE

~§kareKrow

Yes, similar almost sounded like a group of people smashing pop cans. It was worse in the lower rpms. I had to order my belt today but otherwise I got all the new auto tensioner and new idle pulley and bracket installed. I wish I would have taken pics. The idle pulley was so bad it crumbled right of the bracket. Plus the bracket was chewed up pretty good. My idle has been whack for awhile. I bet this will cure the problem as well because I have pretty much done everything else possible to fix any idle problems and that didnt work

iDom
02-27-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes, similar almost sounded like a group of people smashing pop cans. It was worse in the lower rpms. I had to order my belt today but otherwise I got all the new auto tensioner and new idle pulley and bracket installed. I wish I would have taken pics. The idle pulley was so bad it crumbled right of the bracket. Plus the bracket was chewed up pretty good. My idle has been whack for awhile. I bet this will cure the problem as well because I have pretty much done everything else possible to fix any idle problems and that didnt work

I always thought it almost sounded like a table saw.. That's how I described it, and that's about exactly what it sounds like in that video.

Let us know what happens after you replace it!

02_epdriver
02-27-2012, 12:54 PM
I always thought it almost sounded like a table saw.. That's how I described it, and that's about exactly what it sounds like in that video.

Let us know what happens after you replace it!

I should have the belt tomorrowand be able to put it in by tomorrow or the next day or so.

SkareKrow
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
I should have the belt tomorrowand be able to put it in by tomorrow or the next day or so.

Im going to be doing it soon also

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk

EP3driver
02-27-2012, 04:15 PM
Even with the changes, the belt itself is not the best or quietest belt. I changed tensioner and pulley and installed a new belt, still have occasional noise. I wish I could find a gatorback equivalent.

02_epdriver
03-01-2012, 03:59 AM
Well I got everything installed. I only ran the car for a minute. I did lose some coolant. I assume when the belt broke it slapped the coolant resvoir hose and coolant loss had taken place. Now we received 10 inches of snow. the EP is parked in side a pole barn and I cant get it out until some of the snow melts to test drive it and make sure it's all good.

02_epdriver
03-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Well The EP is back up and running strong again thanks to the new idle pull and auto tensioner.

ryboto
03-21-2012, 06:39 AM
So, I'm about to replace my serpentine belt, it's recommended I also change the entire tensioner assembly? Found the part number 31170-PND-013, from here (http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CIVIC&Label[YearID]=2004&Label[DoorID]=3&Label[GradeID]=SI&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5MT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=ENGINE+MOUNTING+BRACKET&ProductID=4&YearID=35&DoorID=2&GradeID=11&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&SectionID=1&IllustrationGroupID=10241).

iDom
03-21-2012, 09:22 AM
So, I'm about to replace my serpentine belt, it's recommended I also change the entire tensioner assembly? Found the part number 31170-PND-013, from here (http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CIVIC&Label[YearID]=2004&Label[DoorID]=3&Label[GradeID]=SI&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5MT&Label[SectionID]=ENGINE&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=ENGINE+MOUNTING+BRACKET&ProductID=4&YearID=35&DoorID=2&GradeID=11&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=3&SectionID=1&IllustrationGroupID=10241).

Yea it is #2

Should come with everything

02_epdriver
03-21-2012, 12:43 PM
It comes with everything like Dom said but it's always a good idea to replace the bolts as well that mount it in which it does not come with.

SkareKrow
03-21-2012, 12:57 PM
It comes with everything like Dom said but it's always a good idea to replace the bolts as well that mount it in which it does not come with.

Yeah replace.the.bolts for sure also if your paranoid about.how things are tight.or.loose get some threadlock. Get the medium.Kind dont.get.the hard.kind.you wont be able to.take it out

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk

iDom
03-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes. So #2, #18, and #19

They're under a dollar each, no reason not to.

02CivicSI-VTEC
06-06-2012, 07:43 AM
I have the same problem as well. I figured out what was the problem was. It's the belt itself, over time the belt gotten loosen/ scratch causing the belt not rotating at the correct speed. After changing the belt noise when away.

obsoletearturo
06-26-2013, 02:17 AM
I can't find that link idom put up for those parts

jonpad92
11-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Not sure if anyone still looks at this thread. But here is a link to what should have all parts mentioned.
http://www.hondapartscheap.com/parts-catalog/honda/civic-hatchback/2002/si/5-speed-manual/engine/engine-mounting-bracket