PDA

View Full Version : Loud clunking when driving over bumps,releasing clutch on take off and downsifts

night_racer
02-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Hey, here's the deal not sure what it is clunking noise coming from the front. Already tightened up the center strut tower bold on both sides so ruled that one out. The really strange thing is does it when driving or on take of or downshifts if I let the clutch out to fast. That's the part that gets me cause I'm assuming that the sudden change in speed makes it clunk like it does over bumps. Just know it cant be right never had that problem with any of my other hondas its a 2003 with 61K miles shouldn't be having this problem. I'm no expert or claim to be a mechanic but can work on some things so any advice is greatly appreciated. It does it going over bumps and as I said from take offs if the clutch is not let out easily if you let it out to fast it clunks also so I'm stuck........need input thanks.

oldschoolimport
02-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Have you checked the front and rear motor mounts? Does it have a full length header?

night_racer
02-15-2012, 12:15 PM
No I haven't what should I be looking for as in damage or just seeing if they are loose. Its stock at the moment btw forgot to mention that no mods yet.

303EP
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM
You can check the bolts for the mounts but you'll be looking for any tears in the rubber on the mount. Both my front and rear mounts were torn in one or more places and it was causing some of the problems you were describing

Drew1d
02-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Look for shiny metal on your exhaust. (where it's rubbin)

night_racer
02-15-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks everyone I'll have a look at it when this weather clears up, how much work is it to change the mounts if that is indeed the problem do I need any special tools or will floor jack, jack stands, and your basic tools surfice?

SHHEP33555
02-22-2012, 08:54 AM
My car was doing the same thing hard take off's I would hear a pop/clunk also if I needed to stop quickly it would pop over bumps to. I found that my lower ball joint was roached. Take a look see if it's torn anywhere. Once I replaced mine problem was gone. Hope this helps

G-MaC!
02-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I literally just fixed mine last week that had been annoying me for almost a year. I replaced ball joints, and the other two bushings in the knuckle as well as the rack slider. Couldn't tell you which one made it stop, but it worked.

slow-ep3
02-25-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a clunking noise that started yesterday out of nowhere. It ended up being the sway bar end link bolt. It was loose and caused the clunking noise.

.colin
03-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Check your subframe. Idiots at Honda forgot tighten the bolts after they replaced my front mount. My car clunked like a mother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk