PDA

View Full Version : Wheel size to clear Rotora BBK?

TheBestUkester
02-26-2012, 08:15 AM
I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere. The PO put on Racing Hart's but they are 18" and the ride is awful. They also put on at least a 25mm spacers in the front to clear the brakes. Not only do I hate the idea of spacers, my car looks all funky with wheels poking in the front, and tucked in the back...

So I am looking for 17's, I got my eye on some BBS's but I need to know what size/offset will not only look the best, but also fit around these massive brakes. I started a thread awhile back on Honda-Tech, but no one knew FOR SURE.

Thanks in advanced guys.

Drunken Yak inc
02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
In order to clear my StopTech BBK I had to run a 15mm spacer. I could have probably just ran 10mm, but I wanted to be sure.

17" x 7.5" Buddy Club F91 Kuroki Wheel, 42 offset

TheBestUkester
02-26-2012, 09:41 AM
In order to clear my StopTech BBK I had to run a 15mm spacer. I could have probably just ran 10mm, but I wanted to be sure.

17" x 7.5" Buddy Club F91 Kuroki Wheel, 42 offset

So, just making sure I got my math right, with the spacer you're basically at +57mm offset?

So of I ran 17 by say 8, +30 would give me a whopping 21mm MORE clearance inside according to http://www.1010tires.com/wheeloffsetcalculator.asp

But I would also have a wheel sticking out and additional 33mm...

I'm pretty sure I'm confused already... Wheel offset (even after reason up on it) is still a shortcoming of mine..

AKEP
02-26-2012, 04:16 PM
(+42)+(-15)=+27 offset

yeah you seem confused. you should read up more on other wheel fitmets so you can get an idea of whats going on down there.

stock offset is like +42 or +45 on a 6.5 wide wheel (this is just to give you an idea). which is some sense doesn't even matter vs what your going to run after, because an aftermarket wheel's offset could mean jack. if the wheels adds lip and keeps the face flat and its 0 offset, your wheels wont fit over big brakes. you would only be safe with concave wheels but you'd have to find a set that clears and obviously one that fits your taste. otherwise you'll need spacers if you're going for the deep dish wheels.

j0000stin
02-26-2012, 04:54 PM
(+42)+(-15)=+27 offset

yeah you seem confused. you should read up more on other wheel fitmets so you can get an idea of whats going on down there.

stock offset is like +42 or +45 on a 6.5 wide wheel (this is just to give you an idea). which is some sense doesn't even matter vs what your going to run after, because an aftermarket wheel's offset could mean jack. if the wheels adds lip and keeps the face flat and its 0 offset, your wheels wont fit over big brakes. you would only be safe with concave wheels but you'd have to find a set that clears and obviously one that fits your taste. otherwise you'll need spacers if you're going for the deep dish wheels.

yeah man your confused with offsets. but as far as 17x8 +30 would clear the brakes. 27rocks (rob) has rotoras i think with 17x9 +35 rpf1's

27rocks
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Yes i do ^^ ... they also cleared with some Slip Rota's too. They where 17x7.5 +40 with no spacers. Ultimately it comes down to wheel design more then offset to be honest. I had way more room with the Rotas then i have with the RPF's. You will really have to do some homework here before you get those BBS's.

TheBestUkester
02-27-2012, 09:53 AM
Ok... so spacers create negative offset. I generally understand offset and and sizing. It's just not my forte.

So Anybody know the MINIMUM size of wheels that will fit?

I originally was looking at TE37's, XXR 522, or Rota Grids just because I love the concave look. So I am assuming I would have better luck fitting these types of wheels more then BBS's

cyllarus
02-27-2012, 10:03 AM
I have a rotara BBK with SSR 17s, which i believe have a 35MM offset.

Everything clears fine both diameter-wise, and offset-wise. However I'm pretty close diameter-wise. Close enough that balancing weights cant be put on the inside of the wheel. SO i think 17s are a minimum to clear.

I'd be glad to send you any pics / close ups of my installed Kit if that would help you with your planning. Just shoot me a PM.

27rocks
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Ok... so spacers create negative offset. I generally understand offset and and sizing. It's just not my forte.

I originally was looking at TE37's, XXR 522, or Rota Grids just because I love the concave look. So I am assuming I would have better luck fitting these types of wheels more then BBS's
That can't be really answered because each of those wheels have a different design to them which means that they are all different on the inside. There is more to wheel fitment/brake clearance then just offset. Just because you have two wheels with same size and offset doesn't mean they will fit. The wheel design has to be taken in consideration as well because curvature of spokes or mesh design can come into effect as well. That's why i said you have to do your homework.

27rocks
02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
I have a rotara BBK with SSR 17s, which i believe have a 35MM offset.

Everything clears fine both diameter-wise, and offset-wise. However I'm pretty close diameter-wise. Close enough that balancing weights cant be put on the inside of the wheel. SO i think 17s are a minimum to clear.

I'd be glad to send you any pics / close ups of my installed Kit if that would help you with your planning. Just shoot me a PM.

Correct!! 17's and up are a must. I also have issues with balancing weights on my RPF's lol. They basically have to be touching the inside spokes otherwise they will hit the calipers. I didn't have these issues with my slipstream rotas that were not only narrower but also a higher offset!!

TheBestUkester
02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Hm...

Well then I might keep the racing hart's, stance them (correctly), roll/pull the fenders (so much rubbing), and stretch the tire a little bit. I will probably have the front spacers milled down, there's an extra 5-10mm of space between the caliber and the rim itself... I like how rare they are, just kinda disappointed with the fitment...

Since I have nothing to base my EP3 experience off of, how much different is the ride quality with 18's vs 17's?

TheBestUkester
03-02-2012, 09:25 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/TheBestUkester/photo4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/TheBestUkester/photo3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/TheBestUkester/photo2-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/TheBestUkester/photo1-1.jpg

Sorry the car is filthy, but this way you guys can kinda see what I am working with...

Thoughts?

27rocks
03-02-2012, 06:06 PM
You got WAY more room then i do lol.

TheBestUkester
03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Yea but these wheels stick out like CRAZY. Def need to either mill down this spacer or get smaller ones.

I'm still unsure of rocking these 18's though... I love the look. But function > form any day for me.

sleepy ep3
03-03-2012, 12:18 AM

It comes down to the "barrel" of the wheel, which is the inside. I have a Wilwood kit, and need to find a set of 16" wheels so I can run slicks.

TheBestUkester
03-05-2012, 08:44 AM
The barrel fits fine, especially due to it being 18"

I have NO idea what size spacer I am going to need to get it absolutely right... Still trying to figure out how to figure that out without just a bunch of trial and error...