PDA

View Full Version : map to start out with

Reaper27
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm getting Kpro this week and I'm going to be tuning it this weekend but from the time that I get kpro back it I get it to the shop for the tune what would be a good map to run it on till then? As far as bolt-ons I have:

K20a3
Injen mega SRI
hondata IMG
Skunk2 RH
custom 2.5' exhaust with DC sport from the axel back (not an actual axel back but a cut off piece)

Also any idea what numbers I'll see on the dyno with a fairly aggressive 93 octane tune?
I plan on getting all the bolt-ons and all in the motor, cams and such coming soon, and then just transferring them over to a K24a1 down the road. I figure it will be a good way to build as I can and have fun with each part as a I go till I really get to open it up haha.

AKEP
02-27-2012, 06:25 PM
stock k20a3 kal. the tuner will figure it out from there.

Ba82Ep3
02-27-2012, 06:42 PM
The SRI is gonna kill your RH/EX gains. I can give you a HO I/H/E basemap, and if you wanna do eTuning i can adjust your AFR's and some ignition advance changes for you afterwards.

Reaper27
02-27-2012, 09:20 PM
The SRI is gonna kill your RH/EX gains. I can give you a HO I/H/E basemap, and if you wanna do eTuning i can adjust your AFR's and some ignition advance changes for you afterwards.

That would be great man. I was wondering about the AFR's cause from time to time I run lean and throw a CEL on the primary but it goes off shortly thereafter. I plan on swapping out the SRI for a CAI in he near furture so that won't be an issue for long. The SRI was on the car when I bought it and just haven't swapped it out yet.

mitchlikesbikes
02-27-2012, 09:22 PM
just run the k20a3 basemap until you get your cold air intake. save yourself some cash and only get one tune haha

Reaper27
02-28-2012, 06:25 AM
just run the k20a3 basemap until you get your cold air intake. save yourself some cash and only get one tune haha

So I couldn't get a tune and then get the CAI and just change the tune myself or that a lot more complicated than that?

Ba82Ep3
02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Its a little more complicated than that... lol

Reaper27
02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Its a little more complicated than that... lol

Haha, I figured as much. If you can PM me the info on your tune or if you want I'll send you me email, either way is cool with me. I mailed of the ECU this morning so I should hopefully get it back by Thursday or Friday.

Also here comes this age old question, but would and AEM V2 intake be better or a strict CAI?

gtolio
02-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I doubt you could actually notice any real gains from any intake, be it short ram, cold air, whatever. At best you're talking about 5-10 whp at peak. Through the bulk of the powerband, it's virtually nothing. The only intake I've ever seen make more than that was a velocity stack out the headlight housing. Even then, it was like 15whp, and good luck driving it around town like that.

If you want real power, swap, boost, or build.

Reaper27
02-28-2012, 11:03 AM
I doubt you could actually notice any real gains from any intake, be it short ram, cold air, whatever. At best you're talking about 5-10 whp at peak. Through the bulk of the powerband, it's virtually nothing. The only intake I've ever seen make more than that was a velocity stack out the headlight housing. Even then, it was like 15whp, and good luck driving it around town like that.

If you want real power, swap, boost, or build.

I am planning on swaping but I'm wanting to get most everything in place before hand that way when I get the motor and finish with it i can just swap it in and everything is quick and easy. I'm not really looking for a huge, powerhouse monster, I just want a quick daily driver that I can have a little fun with. My end plan is that I want to supercharge a built k24a1 that will put me in the 300s. Thats really all I'm looking for. I do notice a lag in the power band though in the summer when it is really hot I know that the SRI is getting heat soaked and thats hurting my output a little so I had wanted to swap in a different intake and was thinking about the V2 since we get a descent amount of rain and all (just had a buddy hydrolock his mazda speed 6 cause of it). I know that the intake isn't a crucial part of creating massive power but it is important and if it adds 10 hp then hey its 10 hp you know ;-p.

gtolio
02-28-2012, 12:20 PM
I am planning on swaping but I'm wanting to get most everything in place before hand that way when I get the motor and finish with it i can just swap it in and everything is quick and easy. I'm not really looking for a huge, powerhouse monster, I just want a quick daily driver that I can have a little fun with. My end plan is that I want to supercharge a built k24a1 that will put me in the 300s. Thats really all I'm looking for. I do notice a lag in the power band though in the summer when it is really hot I know that the SRI is getting heat soaked and thats hurting my output a little so I had wanted to swap in a different intake and was thinking about the V2 since we get a descent amount of rain and all (just had a buddy hydrolock his mazda speed 6 cause of it). I know that the intake isn't a crucial part of creating massive power but it is important and if it adds 10 hp then hey its 10 hp you know ;-p.

My point is that, even IF it's 10whp (that's probably stretching it realistically) it's at a part of the powerband you will see relatively infrequently. Likewise, you will probably lose power at the part of the powerband where you would most often be driving the car, especially during heatsoak.

If you actually want numbers you can use, go with an airbox or a velocity stack. The V2 is slightly better, but it's going to still have all the same issues.

Ba82Ep3
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Haha, I figured as much. If you can PM me the info on your tune or if you want I'll send you me email, either way is cool with me. I mailed of the ECU this morning so I should hopefully get it back by Thursday or Friday.

Also here comes this age old question, but would and AEM V2 intake be better or a strict CAI?

Just email me. dwms73@gmail.com

I was always afraid of hydrolocking so i sold the AEM CAI i had, and went with a v2. For what its worth i loved it. I finally sold it about a year ago... but only because i changed chassis and goals. But if youre using the same Injen SRI that im thinking of... your engine is sucking air through a straw compared even to the v2. Mid range and top end will be noticeable once tuned right, and your a3's head can make its best use of the RH (what little it can anyways. lol).

Reaper27
02-28-2012, 12:35 PM
Just email me. dwms73@gmail.com

I was always afraid of hydrolocking so i sold the AEM CAI i had, and went with a v2. For what its worth i loved it. I finally sold it about a year ago... but only because i changed chassis and goals. But if youre using the same Injen SRI that im thinking of... your engine is sucking air through a straw compared even to the v2. Mid range and top end will be noticeable once tuned right, and your a3's head can make its best use of the RH (what little it can anyways. lol).

Haha, yea thats why my endgame is to have a k24a1 at least. I sent the ECU off today and sent it express with insurance so it will be there by 3pm tomorrow and I'll hopefully get it back before friday but I'll email you in a bit. The SRI that I have is the 3 inch intake, I'm not sure if thats the same as what you are thinking about or not. Where did you get you V2 from and did you get the Ep3 spec or the RSX spec?