PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't rev passed 4k rpm

Kis4KEN
02-29-2012, 02:33 AM
So I was driving home tonight like normal. Go down my usual freeways. While changing freeways, my EP bogs. Like that out of gas feeling if you've experienced that before. I do have a CEL for an o2 censor, but idk if that has anything do with it. I pulled off the freeway to drive local home. Stopped for a bit, pulled the e-brake, and attempted to rev passed 4k rpm. It would just stop, as if weren't supposed to rev passed that point. Randomly thought of turning the car off, and then back on. Every thing seemed back to normal.

Really I'm just curious as to how this happens.

AKEP
02-29-2012, 02:42 AM
oil level good? sounds like you tripped limp mode on the ramp with the oil sloshing around on low

iDom
02-29-2012, 06:34 AM
Had the same problem a while back.. Check out my old thread.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58223-Check-Engine-Maint-Req-d-Limp-Mode-Off-and-On-Anyone&highlight=

I had a bad solenoid the first time.. I replaced the oil pressure switch sensor thing on top of the VTEC solenoid.. No luck..

So I replaced the VTEC Solenoid. That fixed my problems..

My car started doing it again.. I took the solenoid off and check the oil pressure switch sensor thing, and the 2 metal prongs had corrosion on them.. So sometime between me replacing it and when it started coming back on again, water must have gotten thrown up there and started to corrode the prongs = bad connection.. That's why sometimes it would be fine, and other times it would throw the code and cause my car to be in "limp" mode. The code is P1259. I DD my car and live in Ohio.. Salt/Snowy/Rainy roads = corrosion

So, I replaced that sensor with the one I bought before to try and fix my car the first time around.. Put some dielectric grease on the prongs and in the sensor and connected it back up, and shrink wrapped the top of it for extra protection from water or whatever else getting back in there. Haven't had a problem since.

Check and see what all codes you have. I would be willing to bet one of them is P1259 (VTEC System Malfunction) If you go to advanced/auto zone or a place like that, it may say it's something else.. But just look for the numbers.. (P1259)

cvicep3
02-29-2012, 01:55 PM
This just happened to my car last week also. The code was P1259, I will try to clean the vtec solenoid first to see how it goes. If it comes back, then I will replace it.

Pandamanda22
02-29-2012, 07:42 PM
happened to me. I was just low on oil. Changed the oil and reset the ECU and I was back to normal.

theMan_ny
02-29-2012, 11:40 PM
This is happening to me too. My Low Oil Pressure lights comes on too and fades away but the oil is fine. Just changed it a week ago. Is it bad to keep driving with the code until I can get it fixed?

Edit: I should add that the CEL came on on Saturday night and went away on Sunday afternoon by itself. I had my friend come over and check it with his scanner and it read P1259 but when he checked it the CEL was already gone so I told him to delete it from the stored codes and bamn it came on by itself again.

iDom
03-01-2012, 07:34 AM
This is happening to me too. My Low Oil Pressure lights comes on too and fades away but the oil is fine. Just changed it a week ago. Is it bad to keep driving with the code until I can get it fixed?

Edit: I should add that the CEL came on on Saturday night and went away on Sunday afternoon by itself. I had my friend come over and check it with his scanner and it read P1259 but when he checked it the CEL was already gone so I told him to delete it from the stored codes and bamn it came on by itself again.

It shouldn't be "harmful" to your car if your oil levels are actually safe. I would start by cleaning/replacing the mesh screen on the VTEC Solenoid. If that doesn't work, you can try buying a new oil pressure switch sensor (it's the black one on top of the solenoid) or, you may just want to buy a whole new VTEC Solenoid assembly.. It comes with the mesh screen, and a new sensor, and the entire solenoid itself.. It may save you some trial and error and time/money just to replace the entire solenoid from the get go.

cvicep3
03-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Do you know the part number of the whole VTEC Solenoid kit?

iDom
03-01-2012, 12:27 PM
do you know the part number of the whole vtec solenoid kit?

15810-RAA-A03 (Unit #4) $76.84

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s5s01_e1001.png

FFR: Go to majestichonda.com if you ever need part numbers/diagrams/prices

Also, i'm pretty sure they're all the same on all K-Series engines (minus the 2012 Si) So if you search junkyards in your area for any EP3, RSX, RSX-S, 06-11 Si, anything like that, those will all work too. If it were me, i'd probably just buy a brand new one and be done with it.

When I first had this problem.. I bought the mesh screen with no fix (#5).. Then I bought the sensor (#13) with no fix.. (sensor was $43)

Skunk2 makes one for $125, don't buy it.. Same thing, different milling.. Waste of money.
Just my $0.02

Blah1219
03-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Before you jump to conclusions. Do you know anyone that has a k series so you could do a simple to make sure it fixes the issue?

iDom
03-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Before you jump to conclusions. Do you know anyone that has a k series so you could do a simple to make sure it fixes the issue?

Yes this is true. I would do that. It's super easy too. There's just 3 bolts. Shouldn't take more than an hour.

cvicep3
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the part #. I guess I have to replace it because I saw oil leaks out around it. It seems like it's not easy, how do you access to the back? I can't see the bolts.

iDom
03-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I used a little inspection mirror and a flashlight. Something like this

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ttn/11062-BULK/image/4/

Once you do it the first time, you'll get the hang of it and it's easy. I've had mine on and off probably 4 times in the past while trying to fix it.

theMan_ny
03-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Don't bash on me but I stripped one of the screws trying to take off the part. The wrench slipped and pretty much mest up the bolt. I hate working in tight spaces so I said fuck it after 30 minutes. Any ideas on how to take it off?

superchargedk20
03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
I'm assuming u were at a dead stop when u tried reving it since u said the e brake was up. If thats the case thats normal on the ep3 . It has a rev limit set if ur at a dead stop. Atleast the 05 si do.