PDA

View Full Version : Auto-X setup but also a little form

EP3Lov3
03-05-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm on stock suspension and no mods done to suspension. I don't like wheelgap and it's even worse when I have my summer wheels on because they are lower profile. I'm definitely going to be auto-xing this summer but I'm looking for a suspension setup that will handle great and look good so I was thinking getting some Koni Yellows and Ground Control adjustable springs. Does anyone have any opinion on that setup or with either? I can get the Koni Yellows and Ground Controls for a realllllly good price. Also, what if I were to use the ground controls on the stock shocks? Thanks in advance, oh and here's a pic of my hideous wheel gap. >=( http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gliwaphotography/DSC03677.jpg http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc413/gliwaphotography/favcarpic.jpg

whatsvtec
03-05-2012, 04:30 PM
GC+Koni is a great function and form set-up provided with adjustability, just don't go too low. Acura A-Spec is a good affordable option that isn't adjustable. Other than that, "cheaper" options are pretty dull.

IMO, the greatest function>form wheel set-up that still maintained beautiful form was '27rocks' 17x9 enkei rpf1 with some really wide tires. I'm not sure exactly what size, either 235 or 245.

EP3Lov3
03-05-2012, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't go "hellaflush", im not into that stuff that much, it's just an automotive "phase", it will blow by soon probably. I'd also get a thicker rear sway, 22mm. I figured that if I can't make my EP go faster without 1K+, I'm just gonna make it (hopefully) handle like a dream

Alex857
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm running the same at 27 rocks, it's not my dd, because I don't want it to be. Im lowered to about a 1.5 finger gap rear and .5 finger gap front. On 17x9 rpf1 with 245/40 all around. Rears are rolled and at -4 camber fronts are at -2.

Also, I'm running jrsc and 22mm rear sway. I autox alot during the summer on this setup, also driven about 2-3k a summer.

Zzyzx
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Koni + GC springs are a good start. Also pick your self up a camber kit for both the front and rear as you will NEED a proper alignment to get the most out of this car on track. And by proper I mean not anything like OEM.

However, I would refrain from modifying any more then that until after you start competing in Autocrosses. So hold off on buying an anti-roll bar for now. reason being is that you will be spending a whole lot of time in your 1st season learning how to drive correctly; there's no point making the car punish you too much for driving mistakes.

EP3Lov3
03-07-2012, 05:58 PM
What if I just got the GC on the stock struts?

Zzyzx
03-12-2012, 02:04 AM
What if I just got the GC on the stock struts?

bad idea, if anything do the opposite. Stock springs + koni dampers. May not "look" as cool, but the car sure will handle a whole hell of a lot better that way.

In the grand scheme of things, dampers are far more important then springs.

EP3Lov3
03-13-2012, 08:19 PM
If anything, I'd get the koni yellow with the GC sleeves, but according to the description on thmotorsports.com it says "You may wish to use lowered springs with the Koni Sport range, if you do this please be aware the maximum lowering permitted is 35mm" so that's 1.3 inches. I'd wanna go at least 2.5 inches lower, so should I not lower it more than 35mm or is it alright? i know the suspension travel will be more restricted but is there a coilover out there that i can lower 2.5 inches and still will handle better even though of the restricted suspension travel?

Zzyzx
03-14-2012, 04:10 PM
if you really want the car to have decent handling, then do not drop the car 2.5 inches. You do far more harm by borking the hell out of the cars suspension geometry then you would gain by lowering its center of gravity. 1.5 is pretty much max (1 would be preferred).

If you feel you must lower the car that much (2.5) you may want to look at one of the inexpensive prebuilt coil overs on the market instead.

EP3Lov3
03-14-2012, 05:39 PM
I was looking at the tanabe df210 springs, lower about 2 inches and 10-15% spring rate increased, and they dont compromise suspension travel, what harm would those do on the suspension?

Zzyzx
03-16-2012, 10:12 AM
2 inches is compromising, given the car only as around 3 inches total compression travel to begin with.

Regardless, those springs would probably be fine if you ran the car year round with all-season tires. if you use summer tires, you'll find them to be inadequate and you may find your self riding the suspensions bump stops in long sweeping turns.

cow
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
If you're interested in making your car handle as well as it possibly can, listen to Zzyzx like gospel. If you want to "look cool," do what you want.

A car that's set up properly looks "cooler" to me than one that's modified for no reason.