PDA

View Full Version : Seatbelt Pretentioner....confused on which part it is.

Jukka
03-08-2012, 02:49 PM
My SRS light came on about 3 weeks ago, I tried doing the reset trick with the paperclip. It went to reset, but only flashed 1 time rather than 2 and my SRS light stayed on. I brought my car to my mechanic today to get my oil change done (too cold out/wet out), so I got him to throw his scan tool on to see where the fault was in the system. He says its the passenger side pretentioner. Now I'm confused about which part of the seatbelt system is the pretentioner.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/catimgs/14s5s01_b4120.png

Is it 1/3 in this image or the bottom part of 2/4??

I wanna get this fixed, but I wanna make sure I'm doing it properly.

Help??

EDIT: Before someone posts "Go to the dealer, they will fix it for free because seatbelts are covered under lifetime warranty".....that's only in the US. We got fucked up here and they are only a 5 year warranty. So I gotta pay for this out of pocket.

RotaryGreg
03-10-2012, 07:33 PM
lol, i love your edit jukka. Cause i went to the dealer and they looked at me like i was an asshole for thinking there was lifetime warranty on it. haha

anyways, yes, its 1 or 3 (1 is probably drivers side, and 3 is probably passenger side). Its easy to do. remove the seat (4 bolts) unplug it, unbolt the seatbelt/pretensioner assembly and remove the wiring, and reverse. took me about 20 minutes on my car, but i do this sort of work all the times in various mazdas at work.

EDIT: I should mention, that just because there is a code for the pretensioner, it doesnt mean its 100% the cause. it could be a wiring/module issue as well, however, it is very common that these fail (although its usually the drivers one in my experience). So if you are okay with a 300 dollar guess (albiet an educated guess with about 90% chance of being right) then dive in brother.

tht1guy
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
so I'm in the US and was unaware of the seatbelt warranty. Does my light need to be on for them to fix it, because when i take my seatbelt off it doesn't retract and I've always wanted it fixed. Just shrugged it off because other things are higher on the priority list.

Jukka
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
No idea, because as I said, we have no warranty. My guess is that if there is any fault in the system what so ever, you can bring it to the dealer and they will fix it. That's what I've heard from alot of people in the states.

Johnny
03-22-2012, 03:18 AM
So is this true about the seatbelts in the US or just another rumor running rampid.

ohdamngetit
03-22-2012, 06:53 AM
In the US, it is true. I had my SRS light on FOREVER lol. Finally took it to the dealer and they replaced my passenger side seat belt buckle. No charge. Our seat belts are warrantied for life.

OP, good luck up there.