PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket lsd

freeme62410
03-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Anyone out there have any good/bad experiences with installing any aftermarket LSD? Is there a brand that is better than others? Quaife obx cusco? I'm going with jrsc k20a2 and I think lsd is a good idea, but lemme know your thoughts/opinions/experiences please!

Ba82Ep3
03-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Dont be afraid to check out www.k20a.org for a lot of in depth questions like this. Im not saying you wont find answers here, but as with anything, a second opinion never hurts. Why?

Ill tell ya to go with an OEM LSD.

Someone with deep pockets will say go with Quaife.

Someone with not so deep pockets will tell ya to go with OBX.

It really depends on knowing your power goals, what youre willing to spend, or how much hands on work you can/will do. One things for sure, a helical LSD is pretty much trouble free... and thats what OEM is all about.

:mcool:

Ba82Ep3
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Also, you can look through this and it will help you get a visual as to what needs to be done to get to your LSD.

http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?66126-HOW-TO-6-Speed-Transmission-Rebuild

gtolio
03-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Dont be afraid to check out www.k20a.org for a lot of in depth questions like this. Im not saying you wont find answers here, but as with anything, a second opinion never hurts. Why?

Ill tell ya to go with an OEM LSD.

Someone with deep pockets will say go with Quaife.

Someone with not so deep pockets will tell ya to go with OBX.

It really depends on knowing your power goals, what youre willing to spend, or how much hands on work you can/will do. One things for sure, a helical LSD is pretty much trouble free... and thats what OEM is all about.

:mcool:

You forgot wavetrac... :ron:

or maybe you didn't, but I've heard good things about their build quality... plus, one wheel off and still putting the power down is :mtongue:

OP, if I were you, I'd do as much research as possible. There are several threads out there where people "tear down" LSDs and compare them side to side.

Ba82Ep3
03-09-2012, 12:54 PM
Nah there are a lot of options he could choose from... i was just picking the three that came to mind that fit the financial categories i was talking about.

Which really isnt right because an OEM LSD brand new is almost as much if not more as Quaife or any other top end LSD. In my mind i was thinking of sourcing a used one... since its kinda hard to eff up an OEM LSD (unless you get it from a seriously abused or grenaded trans).

Either way... definitely look into your pruchase. I know a lot really like the OBX... but it needs work after purchase to be its best.

1GR8EP3
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
Nah there are a lot of options he could choose from... i was just picking the three that came to mind that fit the financial categories i was talking about.

Which really isnt right because an OEM LSD brand new is almost as much if not more as Quaife or any other top end LSD. In my mind i was thinking of sourcing a used one... since its kinda hard to eff up an OEM LSD (unless you get it from a seriously abused or grenaded trans).

Either way... definitely look into your pruchase. I know a lot really like the OBX... but it needs work after purchase to be its best.
this man knows him stuff haha

but theres also mfactory who makes a nice lsd... I went with obx because i couldnt beat the price the guy pretty much gave it to me lol. Anyways i just ran it at the track and i dont see how i went peg leg for so long haha.

sleepy ep3
03-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Quaife. Can't go wrong. Yeah it's expensive, but so is taking your tranny apart once a cheaper one blows. Plus, there's that quaife lifetime warranty. Can't beat that IMO. Many top racing teams swear by them, and I personally haven't heard of one breaking yet, unless the horsepower number was just plain obscene. (1000+)